Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Best way to create good geo site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm considering, in the coming year, developing a geo domain (.net of well-to-do town) into a genuine website, with listings of businesses, organizations, & events (and hopefully some ads from those businesses).

I have produced a few simple WordPress sites on other topics, and have a basic knowledge of HTML & similar coding, but am far from an expert.

Which sounds like my best option?

a) Find a good theme and make my own WordPress site.

b) Pay an expert to design a WordPress site, which I can then update.

c) Pay someone to design a site using other software.

d) Something else?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Domain Summit 2024

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am thinking in the same direction with my suburban towns .net and/or the main city .us name both of which I own. I have looked at some scripts and also building a modular site using the now free http://www.BOSdev.com modules (mini-scripts). I use one of the BOSdev scripts at http://www.VintageRadio.com/links. I have actually seem more than one good site built with these modules in HTML websites. There is a lot of info on this subject on "City Portal Script' thread here at DNF under the 'Scripts' section .

One DNF user, JamesDavid, has an interesting site using the phpcityportal script at KankakeeCounty.com. There is a good deal of info about that site in the reference DNF thread above. That script has much to recommend for a $150 cost but it also has some limitations. 'JamesDavid' has added a lot of nice design work to the base script. Michael Mann's Bethesda.com is an impressive site that I noticed the other day. He was the founder of 'BuyDomains.com' and has a new company that seems to own nearly 200K domains, so I suspect that he just paid for or had in house designers build it. If it is available as a script, it would be nice. It is an excellent site and looks like a money maker!

I have also found these scripts/links/script examples that might be of interest which I pass on with no recommendations one way or the other:

www.townwizard.com

www.dmxzone.com/go?19001#Extensions_Required

www.dmxzone.com/go?19055#Overview

templatic.com/cms-themes/geo-places-city-directory-wordpress-theme

wordpress.org/support/topic/city-guide-template-wanted-suggestions

www.freetemplates4u.com/uncategorized/city-guide

pckoloji.blogspot.com/2010/03/woothemes-city-guide-template-download.html

www.edirectory.com/directory-script-pricing.php

webscripts.softpedia.com/script/Content-Management/City-Guide-41275.html

cityamerica.com/

www.yourcityguide.net/

www.myusacityguide.com/?gclid=CMjb7ezrt6wCFYt-5QodcinXIA

richmondvision.com/

www.cityusa.biz

Should anyone else have other input, I am sure that there are at least two of us who would like to see it!

Thanks and Good Luck!

Last edited:

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jon - Thanks a lot for all the info! Will browse through it & see what looks most promising.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reference ;) The final version is being built now, and will be ready just before Christmas

@silentg I'll pm you when the final version is up, so you can test.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some things that I think are important include:

1 - The ability to change the appearance of the site easily preferably without getting into php code much. Different size communities have somewhat different requirements not to mention the need for pictures related to the geo area. You may just want to move things around a bit for variety or have an ad or graphical requirement that needs accommodation.

2 - Business, restaurant lists, classifieds, etc. need to be database based. A simple blog type entry may be fine for a very small community but for even a small metro area there may be hundreds of businesses and restaurants to list. Maps, social media options, etc. are highly desirable.

3 - Within the context for the above there needs to be direct listing advertising opportunities (colored background, bolding, in line ads, featured/top of category listings, etc.)

4 - There need to be second and third level listings one each directory page such as on the restaurant page, links to fast food, fine dining, ethnic - Chinese/Mexican, etc.

5 - Different pages need the ability to have separate advertising and graphic options.

6 - Special sections for real estate and automobiles with more elaborate listing options would be very desirable. The ability to set up more sections based on these would be good. For example, a resort community may need special attention to the hotel listings more than the average community does.

I'll probably think of more and others may too! Michael Mann's Bethesda.com above is a near ideal page set up based on an admittedly quick review. Admittedly, he has more funds available for development than perhaps anyone here does!

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in buying the theme for their geo sites can PM me. (Demo is at abqo.com)

**HEADS UP** - Avast notified me that the demo site (abqo.com) contains a virus.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for telling me, I'll look into it.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
**HEADS UP** - Avast notified me that the demo site (abqo.com) contains a virus.

Should be fixed. The issue was an out of date timthumb script & someone managed to use that to hack into the site. Updated the framework & timthumb to it's latest and most secure version, and had someone from my host provider check for problems - it all came back clean. Again, if you want the rights to the whole theme, PM me.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hand-code all my stuff so can't talk from experience but I imagine you could do a lot worse than Wordpress. Must be stacks of support for that too. I've seen plenty of good sites using it.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's another one: http://citytheme.co.uk/ (created by a member here)

I no longer have time to give City Theme the attention it deserves, so I'm selling it off. If anyone's interested in owning a completely unique, magazine/geo WordPress theme, then PM me with an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom