Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

BuyDomains is now in the malware business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe this has already been covered... but beware if you visit any BD sites. they seem to be running a script that makes some registry edits and asks for a restart. i've yet to see what effect this will have on my computer... pretty freakin' low class if that's what they are up to.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey it pays money.... that's really what we're all concerned about right? If people are not willing to take security precautions on their own system or accept spyware then that's really their own fault right?

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
clemzonguy said:
Hey it pays money.... that's really what we're all concerned about right? If people are not willing to take security precautions on their own system or accept spyware then that's really their own fault right?

There are a lot of people who don't understand any of this. The least BD could do is to allow people the opportunity to opt-in to the program. It's unlikely that many would, but those who did would be where BD might make money.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Geez, clem. You see like a hardcore apologist these days... :p Pool, Buydomains... I believe in personal responsibility as much as the next guy, but I also believe there is a limit to how far you can push your own agenda, before it becomes abuse of the common welfare. But, hey... not saying I don't hear what you're saying, but I also feel predatory behavior deserves to be highlighted.
OnSpec said:
There are a lot of people who don't understand any of this. The least BD could do is to allow people the opportunity to opt-in to the program. It's unlikely that many would, but those who did would be where BD might make money.
Well, where things get "predatory in myopinion, is where you consistantly attempt to get something on someone's machine... quite possibly "by accident". BuyDomains, or anyone consistantly, and pervasively using these methods, would make money simply by getting ONTO the machine, and gaining more "exposure" realistate (clicks, views, etc). It's worth noting.

~ Nexus

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
Geez, clem. You see like a hardcore apologist these days... :p Pool, Buydomains... I believe in personal responsibility as much as the next guy, but I also believe there is a limit to how far you can push your own agenda, before it becomes abuse of the common welfare.

Actually was rather upset the other day at dnforum because they operate several of these programs from bannerpages.com which will freeze my browser up for several seconds up to like a minute sometimes where I have to close out and come back in (very annoying!). Additionally I was looking through a thread and saw something from vibrant media where it highlighted words and had advertisments on them. That's when I went to this site (hyperlinked below) and uploaded the hosts file. I had to unblock inventory.overture.com and a few others which I use for sponsorship or where I visit often.

Well in my case where i've asked for repeated donation from users to help support sites and my time investment with no response I figure that it's the least I can redo in order to recoup my costs (the programs I use are opt-in only). People should realize that interner explorer is a very insecure browser. Chances are if they install something on their computer from going to your site they most likely have hundreds of programs running on their system already. I have no sympathy. However, buydomains does appear to have overstepped the line.

THIS WILL BLOCK SPYWARE SITES!!
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

(DnForum loaded a heck of a lot quicker!)

Also download the new Firefox browser
http://www.mozilla.org

And i'm not really an apologist until the day I kiss Rick's x$$ :-D

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aren't they making a law where they have to warn you before putting any kind of spyware on your system?

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the problem with what BD is doing is that it is there isn't even a prompt, and it runs upon loading the page. so you're screwed the second you arrive. i don't mind the occasional homepage set attempt, but reaching in deep is rude and desctructive and (should be) criminal.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Android said:
the problem with what BD is doing is that it is there isn't even a prompt, and it runs upon loading the page. so you're screwed the second you arrive. i don't mind the occasional homepage set attempt, but reaching in deep is rude and desctructive and (should be) criminal.

Agree - if it's like that it's deceptive, same as distraction burglary - doing something that the subject doesn't want to happen.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well then this really is a low blow after all.
What internet browser are you using and what is the sponsorship company?
Maybe I can find a way to block it out or update my own filter.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IE (yes, i know i should use mozilla)

I'm not sure what software is installed. All I can say is try to avoid visiting one of DBs "developed" domains, or you'll see what i've seen. So far, i'm still running fine and scans haven't found anything. Fingers crossed.

Am I the only one who has encountered this onLoad invasion?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have greedy minds and IE flaws to thank.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I went to buydomains.com and also clicked on a name for sale and saw nothing odd or unusual at all in my IE6 browser behavior or anything wrong or illegal so no idea what you refer to.

Not surprised nothing happened as I found it hard to believe BD would do such things as they are believed to be an honest and reputable firm.

unholy1

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Been using firefox as my browser and thunderbird as my mail client and haven't had any spyware or mail virus in over two years. I've dumped IE and Outlook as it's simply a waste of time looking to see if there are new updates every few days.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
I went to buydomains.com and also clicked on a name for sale and saw nothing odd or unusual at all in my IE6 browser behavior or anything wrong or illegal so no idea what you refer to.

Not surprised nothing happened as I found it hard to believe BD would do such things as they are believed to be an honest and reputable firm.

this only happens at one of their developed domains, not on BD's site.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd put in a little comment here.

Anyone who uses that malware/spyware crap should be beaten, hanged, shot and set on fire. Don't let me catch you in person, as I've got my matchbook with me.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
im not sure - and i dont want to visit their sites again - but i think onair.com might be a developed domain of thiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom