• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale .CA Domain Leasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

emc2

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
With all the rich domains posted on this forum, why isn't there a market for domain leasing?

Has anyone tried this?
 
If they are not going to buy it, why would they lease it?

Only works for super premium names and even then most wont bother to start million dollar businesses around a domain they do not own.

IMO
 
I don't think leasing is allowed by Cira... otherwise I think leasing would be a great option.
 
Leasing is allowed, when it is properly constructed. We have leased domains for around ten years now, ranging from a few hundred dollars to much higher levels.
 
@msn - I know many companies who lease names. They may not be looking to build a multi-million dollar site, but just a brandable name they would be willing to pay $50+/month for me.

I think a model as such could work: 1. Lease for 12 months @ $Rate/month, 2. Option to buy @ pre-determined price during the contract.

As a designer and developer, frustrating to see so many strong names go undeveloped.
 
We find the biggest issue is brand equity - when the leasee invests time and money developing a site and driving traffic, they do not want to be held hostage to a radical price increase, nor have the domain sold out from under them. For this reason we include one year less a day as a notice if not renewing, and fixed rates for the entire term of the contract, plus in some cases, an option to buy.
 
Back when I was running DropWizard we tried the domain leasing option with leasingdomains.com. Everybody said great idea but there was little participation.

I have offered it over and over to purchasers over the years. I have yet to have one materialize for the reasons people mention above. They don't want to develop and lose it and even with an option to buy they'd rather just buy up front.

I just don't think the market is mature enough for it yet. Once the prices of cctlds starts to rise and exceed .com's (and it will) there will be more incentive.

PS this was at least 10 years ago.
 
Interesting, you think cctld prices will beat .com's at some point? How do you figure that, all the good .com's will be taken by then?

Plus people will have a slew of new gtlds to choose from, and some people will do that just because it might be a cheaper option. I don't find the average inquirer on my .ca's to be very savvy on domain names.
 
Interesting, you think cctld prices will beat .com's at some point? How do you figure that, all the good .com's will be taken by then?

Plus people will have a slew of new gtlds to choose from, and some people will do that just because it might be a cheaper option. I don't find the average inquirer on my .ca's to be very savvy on domain names.

My prediction as it appeared a few years ago (without rehashing it all)

http://dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2008/dailyposts/07-24-08.htm

It turned out I was a little too early to the market but it will be where the market goes.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom