Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.CA Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ilikebeer

This is a question to all my fellow Canadians?

I'm trying to get a handle on resale value of generic .ca's, if any.

If any of you have sold a .ca and are willing to disclose figures it would be much appreciated. I'd would like to, if possible, have a ballpark figure for pricing.

Thanks if you can give any feedback.

Cheers

Domain Summit 2024

Lord Baltimore

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am letting a group of nice CA names expire (i.e., laugh.ca, esales.ca, tots.ca, etc.). I never found interest in them, even when I offered them for free.

Canada has a population comparable to New York. It just isn't that large of a market. Throw in the standard of living issue and I don't think highly of CA domains.

(But I love Canada. Just don't like domains.)

Sportacle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lord Baltimore
I am letting a group of nice CA names expire (i.e., laugh.ca, esales.ca, tots.ca, etc.). I never found interest in them, even when I offered them for free.

Canada has a population comparable to New York. It just isn't that large of a market. Throw in the standard of living issue and I don't think highly of CA domains.

(But I love Canada. Just don't like domains.)

Standard of living issue?

Not sure what you mean by that. As a Canadian I guess I am a bias - however, UN data showed Canada as the number one country in the wrold to live in based on standard of living, education, etc. for 4 out of the last 5 years and only displaced this year by a European country.

Maybe I misinterpreted your quote, apologize if I did but hope I difused that comment.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of any significant ca sales. There currently is no .ca resale market.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in canada who had never heard of .ca until I told him about it...all he knew was .com/net/org

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd have a lot of .CA domains if Cira didn't reserve so many. They reserve everything!.

RMF

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First off, dot-ca domain names are FOR CANADIANS. I don't mean to be rude, but there's really no business for our non-Canadian friends here. It has been designed this way, and SHOULD be like that.

Secondly, only CANADIAN entities (residents or organizations) are entitled to register dot-ca domain names. Their terms and conditions are stricter than those of .us and .biz. So if you are NOT Canadian, your ownership of any dot-ca domain name is not very secured. I wouldn't recommend any off-shore investment.

Thirdly, Canada only has about 1/10 population of that of the U.S., this is a FACT; therefore on the one hand, the market itself (dot-ca domain names for Canadians alone) is nothing comparable to that of dot-com's (or CNO plus .biz and .info) which appeal to a worldwide audience. HOWEVER on the other hand, our small population also means HIGHER STANDARD OF LIVING. As Sportacle has pointed out, Canada has over the past many years been named the best country to live in (only be superceeded by I guess Norway or Finland this year) and sorry, USA is god-knows-where down the list. You know why? That's because we basically have the same infrastructure as the U.S., even with a smaller population.

And for the friend of doberry who hasn't heard of dot-ca, the following is from the famous Molson Canadian "I am Canadian" TV commercials:

----------------------------------------

Hey. I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader.

And I don't live in an igloo, or eat blubber, or own a dogsled.

And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.

I speak English and French, NOT American. and I pronounce it 'ABOUT', NOT 'A BOOT'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing. DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation, AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.

A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH, AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!!!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS! THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY! AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!! AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

----------------------------------------

MY NAME IS NAMESLAVE!! AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

interbuy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the type-ins for .ca are really up this year over last?

My .ca names now get more type-ins than my dot .info of same quality.

Mine are up over 200 per cent for November 2002, compared to November 2001.

Probably due to the fact most major companies selling in Canada switched to a .ca this year, giving the cctld a boost.

interbuy

Edit: added selling in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators