• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Case of the disappearing Chinese traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevent

DNF Regular
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
631
Reaction score
0
I have a numeric domain which gets a lot of Asian traffic. Parked with Dopa it gets about 750 visits per day. DomainSponsor claims just 2 visits/day. Hosted on my own server, using my own DNS, it got 4 hits yesterday. Back in the days of Parked.com it got a couple hundred visits per day.

Is this an issue related to the Great Firewall of China? Given that the RPM on this name at Dopa is so awful, I’d really like to set it up on my servers and see what I can do with the traffic. But how can I get it setup so that all the visitors actually show up?

Any suggestions?
 
Try namedrive if you haven't already.
 
Try namedrive if you haven't already.

Tks but I tried them with a couple names a while back and it was awful. Do you have a lot of Chinese traffic there?

I'd really rather host this name myself but I don't know how to get the traffic to come through.
 
may be some kind of bot traffic.

also, remember the recent earthquake still limits U.S. connectivity in China.
 
may be some kind of bot traffic.

also, remember the recent earthquake still limits U.S. connectivity in China.

Good point about the earthquake. I'm pretty sure it's not bot traffic.
 
I got members on my site who emailed me because they couldn't view rthe site from parts of Asia & wanted to let people they were doing transactions with know.
 
The earthquake affected a lot of us in asia for connectivity to US hosted websites.. because the undergroud fiber optic cables were badly damaged..and the traffic drop as well because a lot ppl cant surf the net the past one week ..never tot such thing wud happen but it did.. its like a economy downfall over the internet for us domainers..
 
I'm based in China and today is the first time in two weeks that I've been able to view DNF pages! Most domains hosted on US servers that rely on East Asian traffic have taken a big hit over the past two weeks.
 
had the SAME problem with a 3 letter .net a looong time ago...fmj.net..half the parking sites showed no traffic, the rest a TON...try domainhop.com, they still pay per 1000 uniques like $4 or something I think..regardless of clicks
 
Thanks for all your responses guys! I've continued to do testing and it looks like the earthquake might have been PART of the problem, but they other problems are as follows:

1. DS is either blocked or doesn't recognize visitors from China AT ALL
2. eNoms name servers are useless for this traffic.

As soon as I hand-parked the name on my server with my own NS a few minutes ago I started seeing traffic come in. I'll check stats for a few days and see if it's back up to the level that Dopa was reporting.
 
Hum... seems like all of the CN traffic has dried up again. If someone from China or even Asia is willing to test loading a couple domains for me let me know. I can shoot you some DNF$ for your trouble.
 
The Chinese government blocks their people from a lot of websites. In my case they started out blocking the name servers and progressed to the domain name. Then it doesn't matter where the name servers or the web server is located. The Chinese government sucks. If I lived there, I'd move. :)
 
Hi sevent,

I am in China and I can help you to test your domain names.

A bad news for all,China goverment block a lot of DNS,so the traffic to your site is very few.I suggest you to park your name at dopa.com,although the RPM is not high.

$1=7.8RMB,so...........you can't expect earn a lot of money from Chinese traffics.Right?
 
As I'm currently based in China I can certainly confirm the fact that the Chinese government blocks/censures a lot of DNS/websites, some for obvious reasons (such as porn, politics, religion, etc) and some for no apparent reason at all (such as Enom which was inaccessible for most of 2006, although it is now available again). On the other side of the equation there are US-based traffic programs that block/discount Chinese traffic because it's seen as 'poor quality'. Of course it's only poor quality if you are serving US ads to people who live in countries that can't buy/access the products. It would be great to see more Chinese/Indian etc advertisers on the network.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom