Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

china.net stolen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok pros,

Big theft here. This one will certainly make the news and it is currently under investigation. ICANN, federal agency and possible congressional inquiry on its way.

The record looks innocuous to the uniformed, but the pros will know that this is a theft. This guy has stolen many unused names and he uses the same admin email address on many of his recent thefts. He also uses multiple foreign addresses in a vain attempt to stay annoymous. Bet he starts changing them soon. You can run, but you can't hide!

Network Solutions better correct its obvious security chasm and personnel accountability--this theft pattern gravely threatens the integrity of a corporation that markets itself as network secure. When word gets out on this, watch out!

The admin email contact was changed prior to its transfer and the name was recently moved from NetSol to IHoldings. How was it stolen? The pros will know there are only 2 possibilities. The name was not being used and apparently the thief thinks the real owner will not voice opposition because he is convinced he is no longer around.

What other names has he stolen? Many.

Stay tuned......

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you know if this person stole domains from registrars other than NetSol?

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How can you know that this is a theft and not a domain investor buying names on the aftermarket?

Not saying it isn',t but be careful calling someone a theif on a public forum.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"china.net" is registered with whois.dotregistrar.com:

Registrant:
Doug Esposito (CHINA-NET-DOM)
912 E Omahu Rd
Remuera, Auckland
NZ
[email protected]

Domain Name: CHINA.NET

Administrative Contact:
Doug Esposito [email protected]
912 E Omahu Rd
Remuera, Auckland
NZ

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Doug Esposito [email protected]
912 E Omahu Rd
Remuera, Auckland
NZ

Record last updated on 27-Jun-2002.
Record expires on 17-May-2012.
Record created on 28-Dec-1994.

Domain servers in listed order:

ns1.dr-parkingservices.com
ns2.dr-parkingservices.com

drname

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think that the guy stolen not only domain name but also credit card. So he can keep anonymous when tranfering china.net from NSI to dotregistrar.

In october, 2001, broad.com was also stolen in NSI through unauthorized and fraudulent registrant name change agreement. I got back the domain name for my client, Broad Air Conditioning, at early of 2002.

I'm shocked by NSI's system.

It should be the same guy.

Colin Jin
IP attorney
www.DisputeNIC.com

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe the guy who registered china.net died.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That street address doesn't look right as I don't think New Zealand differentiates between the east/west/north/south of a road, and a check on google shows street addresses for Omahu Road all being under 100, definitely not near 900.

The online white pages for Auckland, New Zealand lists only one Esposito surname, and it's not Doug. He's also using an Australian Yahoo e-mail address, rather than one from New Zealand. And lastly, his telephone number is one digit short.

It doesn't look good for 'Doug' holding onto this name is he doesn't provide accurate info :uhoh:

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
It doesn't look good for 'Doug' holding onto this name is he doesn't provide accurate info :uhoh:

How does that work? I have come across many domains that I know to have false whois info. Can I report it and have the names assigned to me? :)

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
How does that work? I have come across many domains that I know to have false whois info. Can I report it and have the names assigned to me? :)

I recall reading in a thread last month that if it is known that someone has bogus whois information and does not correct it, the name can be taken from that person. I do not know the exact process in this regard, maybe another member can clear this up?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's the thread -RJ- with the quote from thewitt

"There is no law that prohobits the use of false contact information, however it's part of every registrar's contract with ICANN, and subsequently every registrant's contract with their registrar.

Any domain name that is not updated with valid contact information with 15 days of a formal complaint to the registry much simply be DELETEd - which would of course cause it to drop..."

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=20905&highlight=subsequently#post20905

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh, and if anyone's wondering if the SnapBack's available on china.net, it's not, LOL

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
Here's the thread -RJ- with the quote from thewitt

Any domain name that is not updated with valid contact information with 15 days of a formal complaint to the registry much simply be DELETEd - which would of course cause it to drop..."

Thanks for that info. Do you know if any registrars are actually complying with this?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry -RJ- I don't know. Maybe thewitt may know the answer?

DrName,

Thanks for the post, I will be in contact with you. Yes, the credit card and name on the account was false it appears. But there is always a way to track these guys.....

Given the high profile nature of the stolen names, your firm could be famous when this scandal is uncovered. I am working with ICANN now.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression .nets werent worth anything anyways ...you know cause of the traffic "leakage" to the .com anyways ? ! :D safe were are you, I'm getting confused..first .nets are not worth anything, then the next thing is their so valuable the cia , the fbi, interpool hell it's world wide news.. :confused:

hey Dan ..we need a sarcasm smiley !

Good luck in your detective work guys..problem is what kind of laws cover this ? he will have to be prosecuted in whatever home counrty he is in..what if that country could care less about domainnames stolen.what if it's like trespassing..$50 fine or something?

using a domain theft to prop up domain values bid? i've heard it all now :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that media coverage out to take care of the leakage problem !

Actually anyone seen any mention of the theft yet in any major publication?

yeah.I know snoopy..did you happen to read the sarcasm note?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
I was under the impression .nets werent worth anything anyways ...you know cause of the traffic "leakage" to the .com anyways ? ! :D

Bid, did you know that NameWinner last week scored tiger.net for someone who was their highest bidder at $9,415.

No whois info yet to see who shelled out the 9.4k for tiger.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com