Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Chris "Club Drop" Ambler's Dropshark has been released

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes - I'm lining up a new data source right now.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
downloaded demo version, but it says that the application haven't been initialized correctly

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Typically, that's because you don't have the .NET frameworks installed on your machine. DropShark is a .NET application.

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how can i get it?

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Microsoft Windows Update should offer you .NET Frameworks 1.1

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to pay a subscription fee for overture results.
Is it possible to have 2 versions. Say a Dropshark Premium edition or something?

Thanks

John

cambler said:
It has DMOZ and Yahoo, which are free and easy to get. All other data either cost money (as in an Alexa feed) or require a large network to spread the IPs (as in Overture) and it was clear that there were only a small handfull of users who would be willing to pay a subscription to cover the cost of putting that together.

It's something I'd be happy to do if it were economically viable.

Chris,
I dont see the Yahoo and DMOZ in 2.0.
Is it me or is it not in the 2.0 build?

Thanks

John

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you look at the domains in the list, you'll see Yahoo and DMOZ as the two last columns. They're blank if the domain has no value for Yahoo or DMOZ.

The issue with overture is twofold - first, if I were to purchase the information from someone and then just pass that cost along, I'd have to work out a deal where they get paid based on my userbase using the info. That's a huge pain, and they'd probably want the right to audit me, which I'm not sure I'd be happy with.

Second, if I were to set up my own overture scraping array, it wouldn't be cost-effective unless I had enough subscribers. Just getting machines across enough IPs would most likely be too expensive to do unless I had hundreds of subscribers.

I have spoken to a number of people who can provide feeds, and many of them were cool with the idea of offering their feed to DropShark users, but the price they wanted was either outrageous (as in, "you pay me $1000 a month and sell to as many as you want") or they wanted the right to deal with my customer list.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, stupid question maybe, but...

... how do I interpret the overture information? I see lots of 0/0, -1/-1, 0/-1, etc. But also a few that look like -1/51 and 43/-1

can you either give me or point me towards a primer on reading these numbers?

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Overture numbers for domains without/with extension.

-1 means that Overture deliberately throttled the response. There's just no other way to handle that, as an immediate requery tends to get your IP banned in a hurry, so I throw the value to -1 and move along.

I'm still open to reasonably-priced feeds to include, if anyone knows of one. Otherwise, any improvement I could put into this would just get your IP banned.

BeingSeen

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have installed the .net framework 1.1 and I am still having trouble with the install of the demo.

processid =0x764 (1892), thread id=0x400 (1024)

and in the next it asks for a JIT debugger.

cordbg.exe !a0x764..

thanks for the help.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators