Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

closed Christian name .coms - an alternative?

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Yup, the .net version is better for 'established' internet personal names imo. I've got the generic on .net, so has my gf. :D

I've received a lot of offers to buy my name, but its priceless :)

Well Mole, I just hope you have the quadruple-hyphenated version to protect your investment. :D

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a personal site based on somebody's name, how about .name, which is intended specifically for just this thing?

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I should have said .com is the dominant extension, you are quite correct that a lot of other extensions are established and reliable.

.com is no longer a commercial only extension. Presumably this is why .biz was introduced, but they messed up that introduction as well.

Why am I mired in the past because I want to try a new representational form for domain name?

Name will never catch on because it requires two words, looks like a persons name and is no fun. What will be interesting is constructing pictures from foreign language symbols for names. I might play with that soon.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that .name is dead in the water. It is a redundant extension. What kind of moron needs to be told that what they are looking at is a name?! It adds nothing whatsoever to the URL string. A country code like .us is perfect as it tells the internet community where the person resides. There is some useful information imparted there unlike what you get with .name (I also despise the extra dot between first and last names - it's as bad as a hyphen). I think that is why .name has completely floundered and will continue to do so. Just because they created a new extension, doesn't mean they created a good one.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a "classy" suggestion.. it's available:

MsAnne.com

and as we all know Ms.. can be utilized for a miss or mrs.. and frankly Ms has "class"

go get it for her for her NYears gift

MsAnne.com

"-)

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"A country code like .us is perfect as it tells the internet community where the person resides."

Pretty soon I'm gunna start to believe you, Duke! :)
Have fun tonight, and Good Luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
"A country code like .us is perfect as it tells the internet community where the person resides."

Pretty soon I'm gunna start to believe you, Duke! :)

Please don't! I already have enough competition with DNS Kidd, DryHeat, Stocdoctor, Bidawinner, Desi and all of these other guys snapping up every name in sight.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
"Please don't! I already have enough competition with DNS Kidd, DryHeat, Stocdoctor, Bidawinner, Desi and all of these other guys snapping up every name in sight."

LMAO. But true! Ok, Ok ... I'll let you guys fight amongst yourselves for the .US's, then I and others will be forced into a position in the future to HAVE to come to one of you and pay you the big $$'s! Right? Good Luck.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CoolHost
I and others will be forced into a position in the future to HAVE to come to one of you and pay you the big $$'s! Right?

No. No one can force you to do anything and none of us is likely to make anything selling names back to other resellers anyhow. But as a businessman you will have missed the opportunity to collect the profits that early buyers will realize if an end user market develops.

It's true that those profits may not materialize of course - after all we are talking about the future here. But through history the biggest gains have been made by those who have seen emerging trends and placed their bets on them before everyone else caught on. When you finally decide you should buy a ticket to the show the seats will all be gone.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl

It's true that those profits may not materialize of course - after all we are talking about the future here. But through history the biggest gains have been made by those who have seen emerging trends and placed their bets on them before everyone else caught on. When you finally decide you should buy a ticket to the show the seats will all be gone.

Could that be spaced out hyphenated names. :D

After all, where will .us be when America joins the EU, or combines with Mexico and Canada.

Texas - It's a pity we don't live near you - texanne.com is unreg'd.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
Could that be spaced out hyphenated names.

That's one crow I don't think I will ever have to eat - but n-e-v-e-r say never! :)

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing is the diversity of the net. We already have new character sets arriving for domain names. Maybe in 10 years we will have avatars or voice input for ip resolution.
Now how do I pre-register some of those adult avatars.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
The interesting thing is the diversity of the net. We already have new character sets arriving for domain names. Maybe in 10 years we will have avatars or voice input for ip resolution.

Any of that could happen Pairs. That is why I try to never get stuck on where we are today. In technology you can be sure it will be different tomorrow. The best you can do is keep your eyes fully open and try to stay one step ahead of the incredibly fast pace of change. That is why I double up laughing when people say something "will ALWAYS be king". What planet are they living on?

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.name does express information... that it's a personal site as opposed to a business or organization site. Country code domains don't express this (they could be anything in that country), while .com domains express that it's a commercial site (even if it actually isn't).

I agree that the creators of .name could have picked a better string for it... maybe .per for personal sites?

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...And is firstname.lastname.name actually worse than the schemes some are advocating in this thread like sticking hyphens between each letter of a name?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you see a person's name with .us, it would be a pretty safe assumption that it is a personal site of an American citizen. If someone wanted to use their personal name for a business site on .us they could, but they couldn't they do the same thing on .name? At least the .us also gives you some useful information with the geographic location. The .name tells you nothing. I am all for cleaning up the internet naming structure but as with all things you can only go so far to idiot-proof something.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
...And is firstname.lastname.name actually worse than the schemes some are advocating in this thread like sticking hyphens between each letter of a name?

Not at all. I don't like either, but will take the dots any day. At least it is consistent throughout the string and also has common use with sub-domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators