Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.CO.UK -- which registrar is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrit

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy my first .co.uk domain.

I asked around with a few friends, and someone advised by 123-reg.co.uk , they'd offer UK domains for only 3 GBP/year with free webmail added. The company would be linked directly to Pipex, which is a well established ISP in the United Kingdom, so it does look reliable to register a domain through them.

But before taking any action: does anyone know if another registrar is better or more reliable?

Of course I rather keep things not too pricy, but price is not the most important. I rather pay 3 or 4 pounds more per year for a very reliable service then going with the cheapest but having barely any features and bad support...

Domain Summit 2024

aidman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been with 123-reg for years, however they have recently "lost" 2 of my domains and are still to "find" them - they are still under my name in the whois, they just seam unable to put them back in my account.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i would also recommend 123reg.co.uk
good luck

aidman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Been on the phone to 123-reg for most the day (premium rate i might add) they refuse to give ownership of my domains back to me as they have landed in 2 accounts that don't belong to me... even though my name is on the invoice for the domains and the whois shows they belong to me!!

When i asked why they hadn't replied to the 8 emails i've sent over the past 6 days, they replied... "we've got a 3 week backlog of support emails to get through"

When i asked to speak to a manager to make a complaint, they hung up on me!!

It makes me sick... I contacted pipex (their parent company) and they said they have no involvement with 123-reg and I can't make a complaint with pipex as 123-reg have their own complaint procedure... I said "i know, they just ignore you or hang up on you". The lady contacted 123-reg and told me the usernames that the domains were under... so i have that as ammo... but i'm still no closer to getting my domains back!!

Gerrit

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So you'd avise against using 123-reg then? Any alternatives that you would recommend as being reliable and trustworthy?

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cheapdomainnames.co.uk is where i have my names and i am satisfied

LizzeyDripping

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with 123-reg.co.uk. The only issue I have with them is that their support line charges 50p per minute - so I email them instead.

That said, I have been using them for quite a while and I have definitely noticed a drop off in service recently - it has been taking a couple of days to get a response to my query instead of a couple of hours. I would recommend 1and1.co.uk - support is good (very quick response to email, 24/7 phone lines and calls charged at national rate) and they have a comprehensive control panel that is easy to use.

Now I'll sit back and wait for hundreds of people to tell me what is wrong with what I have just said!!!

jaspersen

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
try telivo.com, 5pounds for 2 years registration.

maxo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I use 123-reg.co.uk as well. Have to say they have the worst support than any other Registrar I have been dealing with, I am talking about E-mail support. Takes 5-7 days to get a reply from them. Other than that, it's ok.

ChrisJP

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with above poster. I've recently moved all my UK domains to UKReg.com. I found that 123-reg.co.uk's support is horrible. Also, I entered a survey about 4 or 5 months ago for a £50 adwords coucher. The voucher came last week. I emailed them about a month after I took the survey to ask when I could expect my voucher but didn't even get a reply.

Never had a problem with UKreg though, and their support is much quicker, at least by email anyway. And both registrars have basically the same prices on their UK domains, give or take a few pence.

UKReg boast on their homepage they are the UK's 1st choice. On their Company Info page the boast they have the best features and highest level support. 123-Reg don't even seem to have a page about their company, at least I couldn't find one. In fact the only thing I know about them is that they're owned by Pipex...

nWo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*[Post removed]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom