Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Considered Spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I was to send targeted email to potential business clients without their permission, is that considered Spam?. Even if they would be interested in what I have to offer?.

RMF

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had recently seen a lawyers article who stated that a mail send to one particular person, of who you think that he/she might be interested in your "product/service" is not considered spam.
You just have to make sure you actually address the mail to that person and if you want to send it to more people you would have to address each letter/email to them alone.
Do not know if this is correct, but that´s how I have done it ever since.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chase, that seems like a good distinction. any chance you have the link to the article you read? sounds interesting.

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buy an approved target email list, saves the hassle then if anyone complains you could blame the mailing company. Even better, let them visit a site. If there interested in your product that much, maybe they'll search for it.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want to send the email, please don't use your real email. :D

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DeCal
buy an approved target email list, saves the hassle then if anyone complains you could blame the mailing company. Even better, let them visit a site. If there interested in your product that much, maybe they'll search for it.

There is no such thing as a targeted e-mail list. This would be definately spam and would get you blackballed in a minute.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it unsolicited?

Is it commercial?

Is it email?

If you answered "yes" to all three questions, then it is probably unsolicted commercial email.

spamurai_warrior

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even an email to a single person that is a business solicitation or advertisement can be considered spam. It'll be low enough to fly under an ISP's radar, but it's spam just the same. Someone will take notice. Not worth risking the loss of the domain name in question if you ask me.

S

Silverwire

Originally posted by spamurai_warrior
Not worth risking the loss of the domain name in question if you ask me.

Whoa! back up a sec. You must be assuming the sender is a cybersquatter and the domain name can only be used in violation of a trademark.

Spam, in and of itself, is not going to automatically cause loss of the domain name. However, the solicitation may be used as evidence in a TM action. A lot may depend on potential uses for the name that would not violate a TM and who you are trying to sell it to. While I have not used it, direct solicitation (spam) can sometimes be an effective way to market a domain name.

spamurai_warrior

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
... Unless your mailings cause people to complain or send the email through a SpamCop type service... then you are at the mercy of the AUP's of your ISP, Registrar, etc.. It would be fairly easy for them to tell that the email was meeting the conditions for UCE (as jberryhill outlined for us).

Obviously... I am far more on the conservative side of the issue than some though... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom