Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

A possible legal issue.....

steveCRjcw

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm new here. I have a specific question.

I work as a building manager in a block of privately owned leased flats in London. I also have a fllat in the same building.
When I joined 15 yrs ago, there was no internet installed or a domain name associated with the building. I did both. I needed the domain name simply because my perosnal email was being flooded with work related emails.

I've run the domain registered to me for this whole time.

Now, the property management company (who I don't work for. I work for the freeholder of the building), who have managed the building since before I got here, have come along and implied that they may take over my domain name, and email account because they should be controlling and running all things internet.

I don't believe they can do this. I could be wrong. The domain name didnt exist until I made it so. Likewise the email accounts associated with it.

I must add, there have been no issues to make this arise. They say they are merely streamlining and improving services. It's only me that uses the email associated with the domain for contact with lease holders, tenants, contractors etc.

I have told them I have no emotional connection to the domian name, but about 15 yrs of emails some of them highly confidential, and for me personally, could either be lost, or flooded to a corporate server. And even if neither of these scenarios happen, I kind of resent this management company telling me their intentions in this light.

My feelings are to dig my heels in. But can they actually do what they imply?

Any thoughts would be helpful?

cooljub

Level 2
Reaction score
Hi,
I think the freeholder should be in control of the domain.

If the freeholder decides to change management company, then there could be issues for them regaining control of the domain and emails from a company no longer associated with the building.

It might be an idea to suggest allocating relevant email addresses to the management company and giving them access to these, while keeping control of the domain with the freeholder (or at least an employee of theirs).

steveCRjcw

Reaction score
Hi,
I think the freeholder should be in control of the domain.

If the freeholder decides to change management company, then there could be issues for them regaining control of the domain and emails from a company no longer associated with the building.

It might be an idea to suggest allocating relevant email addresses to the management company and giving them access to these, while keeping control of the domain with the freeholder (or at least an employee of theirs).
Hello, and thank you for your response.

You have a point about management companies changing. And actually one I hadnt thought of.
And I am the freehold reprasenttive on site. If the managment company go, I'm still on site.

I'm just a little uneasy about how it was framed to me via the MA.
'we should have contrpl of all things email and internet'.or words to that effect.
I don't agree, if they are dispensed with..... as you say, 15yrs plus of emails and contacts gone, plus control of the domain name. I'm not happy with that.
Maybe I'll contact my bosses at the freeholder offices.See what they say?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom