Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Contacted by previous .ca owner - not nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh boy - been having a nice email exchange with a guy who was the previous owner of a .ca domain I picked up in a drop (I was the only bidder at Siber). Starts of asking why did I reg this domain, then how much, etc. Then he must have done some research on my name or something, found I'm a domain investor, and in the next email he's calling me a 'bottom feeder', etc.

I looked up the domain at Google before bidding, and it only had a few returns with emails in them, no website shown. It's a generic term with lots of search returns on different sites, so that was my interest in it - not trying to extort a previous owner who had dropped the name. He assumes I bought it to get a payoff from him, but he was the one who contacted me out of the blue. If you are going to buy a name in a drop, do you have to contact every previous owner first to see if they 'made a mistake'?

Right now I have the domain pointed at one of my webpages of a related subject.

Kind of cheeses me off, the guy let's the domain drop 'by mistake', now is all ticked off at me because I got it in the drop, and the name-calling. Maybe I'll give a blow by blow of all the emails here when it's done.

Maybe the best course is to not answer these emails in the first place.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is he offering anything, did you ask for a certain amount ?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no figures were mentioned, just told him I had plans for the domain, but might sell for a good offer. then he turned nasty - lol

to me it's a classic case of someone dropping a domain by mistake, getting p-d off, and taking out their frustration on a domainer. obviously he's a person that thinks anyone who accumulates domains is the same as a squatter, etc.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see, just ignore him but leave a door open at $X if he wants to pay. Wouldnt even reply further. jmo

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is people like that who will then shout 'cybersquatters' all across the Internet, and everybody will sympathize with them :)
No wonder the lawmakers finally take heed :rolleyes:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You own the cards here....does no good for the person who abandoned the name to get into a name calling tirade with the new owner as it will only result in the name staying away from him (unless of course there are tm issues).

I had a similar situation where the person started to threaten me and then said they were going to take legal action...it really ticked me off enough, that I decided that there was not a price I would sell it back to them...and I did not...I stopped replying to their e-mails and eventually did not hear from them.

The silly thing is that if they just would have been civil with me in the first place I would have been very fair...as I have had experiences where I dropped a name by mistake and would have liked to have gotten it back.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is...what exactly is he doing with the name before you? Must have been "squatting" on it...LMAO..

Tell him if he wants to get shitty you will get on a plane and come crack his skull open..

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seriously, same thing happen to me only it was a .com. Just go forward with your plans and reply to him only if he settles down and makes you an offer.
Do not get into a exhange of useless emails with him. If he send you an email with no direction, just save it .

Without knowing more about the name and his business its hard to give better advice.

goodluck
:yo:

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i don't understand why people find it difficult to click "spam"

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same happened to me with a .com... basically I just said, it is your fault because you let the name drop... end of story...

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is...what exactly is he doing with the name before you? Must have been "squatting" on it...LMAO..

Tell him if he wants to get shitty you will get on a plane and come crack his skull open..

what happened to the group hugs and the *love all around*? LOL

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everything the former owner could say should be taken with a pinch of salt.
A while back I got an offer on a domain at Sedo and the other party said they wanted it back as it was his daughter's nickname or something similar.
Since it was a .ca I couldn't check past whois ownership at domaintools but I did find out that the previous site was indexed by archive.org. The name used to belong to a nuclear engineering consulting business :rolleyes:
I'm not even sure I was dealing with the previous owner ;)

cashboy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My policy, after having learned the hard way is this. Never, never even try to sell the domain to a previous owner. You can tell him it is only 300 dollars, and they will still call you a bottom feeder. Just reply simply. Not for sale. After that, do not reply to any further emails. I find it only polite to respond to all inquires, but I do not waste my very little and precious time. Not for sale is all they get. If you ignore them, they usually badger you. I know how busy you are, so I would suggest you drop this and focus on
your next tbr :)

There is lots of "domain road rage" out there. And, lots of nuts. I personally was harrassed by a domainer to the point that I got the RCMP involved. Never heard from him again.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a big time rap producer whos full name in .com I had registered after it dropped awhile back...(I had no idea what/who it was at the time) It was from an ovt with ext list of avail domains...so long story short I had rappers from Miami calling my house & cellphone talking about drive by's and sh*t & we had a blast threatening each other. Eventually he realized I would shoot him too and he just ponied up and paid me for it...thinking back it was really alot of fun :eek:k:

Funny thing is, it realy happened! lol

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my last email told him i hoped it was the end of our exchange, no need to reply, and he hasn't. also looks like he's moved on and registered the .net, so great. there was no way I was going to sell it to him anyway after his emails turned nasty. in the future I think I'll go the 'not for sale' route, and save myself the hassle.

Last edited:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everything the former owner could say should be taken with a pinch of salt.
A while back I got an offer on a domain at Sedo and the other party said they wanted it back as it was his daughter's nickname or something similar.
Since it was a .ca I couldn't check past whois ownership at domaintools but I did find out that the previous site was indexed by archive.org. The name used to belong to a nuclear engineering consulting business :rolleyes:
I'm not even sure I was dealing with the previous owner ;)

Maybe her nickname was "nuclear disaster" because she was bad for the environment. ;)

Seriously though, everyone in this longer than a year should have had at least one of these sob stories. I once had a guy tell me the truth and after I confirmed it, I sold it to him cheap.

.... don't think I was being too nice, it made crap revenue ;)

-=DCG=-

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was thinking yesterday I would give him the name cheap if he seemed like a decent guy and gave me a good story (and if the story checked out). It's a good generic domain, and I can use it, but it wouldn't break me to let it go under those circumstances. But then he made sure that would never happen.

I'll tell you though, I don't like the opinion out there that domainers are 'bottom feeders'. Anything that can be done to change that kind of thinking with the public would be good. I bet a lot of people who don't know much about domains would take his side to this, unfortunately.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Even sillier is when two different people email you after a drop, both claiming to have been the previous owner...

VTEC

Flying at 9.200 rpm...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had rappers from Miami calling my house & cellphone talking about drive by's and sh*t & we had a blast threatening each other. Eventually he realized I would shoot him too

:jaw:

You just don't give a sh*t, huh :evil: ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom