• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Contacted by previous .ca owner - not nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
If domain owners are bottom feeders, then so are land owners. There isn't much difference owning a piece of land that you hope will get developed or bought one day. Domain names are also similar to land in the fact that you never know which piece is going to sell and when, and for how much.

When I started this was a big risk, and after many years this has been an expensive investment. Many names still are risky.

If people are upset because I had the foresight and ballz to gamble on .ca domain names meaning something one day, then that is just too bad for them. You don't see me crying about having to pay a crazy price for a piece of land that someone bought for hardly nothing many years ago. Especially if it's for business.

No one should ever feel bad for having these domain names. It's just another piece of capital in a capitalist society.

With that said, I do think that CIRA should extend the safety period for people not renewing domain names. 30 days is not a lot, and it would be easy to accidentally lose names. I think they should have a 90 day period between no payment and loss of the domain name. They should issue an email requiring a response. If no response is given, a letter should be sent out.

I'm always afraid that I might screw up and lose a key name. That could be a very expensive mistake. I can see a company that isn't domain literate, or has a lot of names, losing an important name very easily.
 
Even sillier is when two different people email you after a drop, both claiming to have been the previous owner...
I have always hoped this would happen to me once :cool:
 
i ones got so pissedoff when dropped domain "by mistake", went on mailing pickuper with 150$ offer, he said domain will be on sale at sedo with 1500 reserve

fu'err..

nothing you can do here- gotto be angry at yourself for letting it drop
 
Maybe the best course is to not answer these emails in the first place.
EXACTLY. I never reply to rude email or legal threat. I *sometimes* reply to those with a stupid story (e.g. from some "poor students"), but still in a indifferently (try not to show my disdain) professional manner.
 
Same thing happened to me several times.

Sometimes it works out nicely and they buy it back for a nice little profit.
 
I think the biggest thing here is; deal with this like a business would with customer service. Domainers are running their own "business", so therefore treat this complaint as a business would. This means, being polite, explaining things and if the person can't deal with you, then cease communications. Don't be rude or antagonize them. If we (as domainers) want to be taken seriously at a business-level establishment of industry, then we must treat it as such.

On a side note - I had to laugh at the title of this thread ".ca owner - not nice"...only a Canadian could be that politically correct or diplomatic in explaining the situation haha.
 
This has happened to me on occasion. My usual response is to tell them I bought this in auction and paid "such & such" a price (I claim what I feel I'd feel good with accepting given the caller is genuine). Often they don't continue, but sometimes they keep in touch. One fellow (recent) I gave it to him free (cost me a hundred or or so bucks 3 years ago) It's all good as it had low revenue and he had genuine use for him (good deed).

Another I was ready to give it up, and this was when I was leaving to western canada (in the hills even/no internet). When I got back to my inbox (one month later) he insulted me because I wasnt prompt in replying to his latest email. Said I wasnt a man because I left him hanging sorta crap. With that I simply told him to piss off.

There are other situations, but bottom line is when a domain is dropped it's quite clear. The new owner in fact is the owner and has all right (outside of tm issues etc). My only lenience to some characters happens to be my decent side. Jab at me and you can forget it all. Many people here may know me as someone who can disapear for spells. I know I piss off some. Only acception is when I promise to send money to close a deal I'll go to great lengths to be on time. Other than that..... I can't invest the time to go the distance.

Even some who had claimed tm on a domain were not willing to part with a "recovery fee" as I call it. I've never offered to sell a domain to a previous owner, but have appeared willing to trade off for my cost's incurred. To be honest, when I pick-up a new domain, I'd rather taste it for a while anyhow, so why sell it ?

Kevin
 
.... don't think I was being too nice, it made crap revenue

Why do people want their crappy names back?
No one ever calls me about a good traffic/revenue name.
I always mention, not all domainers are the same, and often prove it by selling the name back cheap or even transfer it for free. I am trying to give us "cybersquatters" a good name.
Now go pistol whip someone.
 
Why do people want their crappy names back?

A lot of my domains are "crappy", I couldn't pay someone here to take them off of my hands, but I use and develop them which makes them more valuable to me. (Some for business, some for personal).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom