Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

DNForum endorsing SPAM Software???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Imagine yourself working on your computer when suddenly a message box pops up that says "Visit www.DNForum.com"

Imagine how annoyed you'd get if this message poped up every 5 mins, evey day.

Did you ASK or OPT to receive these messages? NO. Then isn't this type of message SPAM?

What's the defenition of SPAM?

An electronic message is "spam" IF:
(1) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients;

AND

(2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent;

AND

(3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.

As of lately we have associated SPAM with Emails alone. But email is just ONE form of an electronic message.

DNForum is offering an array of software tools and one of the 4 is a program called "Messenger Broadcast Software". Let's cut through the hype and get down to the basics of what this program does. This program uses a "net send" windows message protocol commands to display messages on peoples screens.

What's a Net Send Command?

The Net Send Command is part of the Messenger service which is a Windows service that transmits net send messages and messages that are sent through the Alerter service between client computers and servers. For example, the Messenger service can be used by network administrators to send administrative alerts to network users. The Messenger service can also be used by Windows and other software programs. For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Your antivirus program may use the Messenger service to send you notifications. The Messenger service is not related to your Web browser, e-mail program, Windows Messenger, or MSN Messenger.

So the bottom line is that this software can be used to send hundreds and thousands of "Messages" to users, using their IP addresses.

Even if you think this is not SPAM, there is another implication of using this software. Imagine a website called www.TheNewDNForum.com acquiring a copy of this software and broadcasting "Visit www.DNForum.com NOW!" Every 5 mins. Who do you think will get blamed for SPAMMING?

I feel that DNForum should not encourage the sale of this software. I'm shocked that they haven't taken it down already. Remember that Windows Message Spaming is already an issue that Microsoft is aware of. Sellers of Software that encourage MASS MESSAGING need to keep this in mind.

Personally I don't think DNForum should endorse of sell known SPAMMING tools.

Just my two cents worth :)

Please feel free to comment.

Cheers

Upvote 0

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin
I hadn't seen that, but now that I have, I also feel it's an entirely inappropriate piece of software to be pushing given that this site is supposed to be "professional"

Very well said Edwin.
Good Luck!

windows22

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To be honest, this is one of the reasons I am not a paid member, then you have the free "trojan horse" and next is the claim from the owner of this forum that it has "200 million visitors" on avarage. What a joke!!
Click on the "advetise on tis forum" link
Talk about credabillity!! This forum sucks big time.

If you have been a victim of this kind of spam please have a look at:
http://www.popup-killer.info/messenger-spam

This form of spam is the worst ever, I know because I have some domains similar to somone smamming like he¤#¤ using software as advertised on this new "dnforum.com"

I could write a long article on this issue, but my time........

I will not be a member because the credability of this forum is non existant.

Thanks!

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey there windows22.

If you are going to flame the forum, at least invest in an English spell checker!

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So long as dnf doesn't spam me, I have no issues with that :) Also, the more people get hit by these messenger spams the faster they will realise how important it is to install personal firewalls like Norton Internet Security. The internet is not a safe place.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the bluetrain... that banner ad that wriggles its message is giving me fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom