Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

DNForum endorsing SPAM Software???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Imagine yourself working on your computer when suddenly a message box pops up that says "Visit www.DNForum.com"

Imagine how annoyed you'd get if this message poped up every 5 mins, evey day.

Did you ASK or OPT to receive these messages? NO. Then isn't this type of message SPAM?

What's the defenition of SPAM?

An electronic message is "spam" IF:
(1) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients;

AND

(2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent;

AND

(3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.

As of lately we have associated SPAM with Emails alone. But email is just ONE form of an electronic message.

DNForum is offering an array of software tools and one of the 4 is a program called "Messenger Broadcast Software". Let's cut through the hype and get down to the basics of what this program does. This program uses a "net send" windows message protocol commands to display messages on peoples screens.

What's a Net Send Command?

The Net Send Command is part of the Messenger service which is a Windows service that transmits net send messages and messages that are sent through the Alerter service between client computers and servers. For example, the Messenger service can be used by network administrators to send administrative alerts to network users. The Messenger service can also be used by Windows and other software programs. For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Your antivirus program may use the Messenger service to send you notifications. The Messenger service is not related to your Web browser, e-mail program, Windows Messenger, or MSN Messenger.

So the bottom line is that this software can be used to send hundreds and thousands of "Messages" to users, using their IP addresses.

Even if you think this is not SPAM, there is another implication of using this software. Imagine a website called www.TheNewDNForum.com acquiring a copy of this software and broadcasting "Visit www.DNForum.com NOW!" Every 5 mins. Who do you think will get blamed for SPAMMING?

I feel that DNForum should not encourage the sale of this software. I'm shocked that they haven't taken it down already. Remember that Windows Message Spaming is already an issue that Microsoft is aware of. Sellers of Software that encourage MASS MESSAGING need to keep this in mind.

Personally I don't think DNForum should endorse of sell known SPAMMING tools.

Just my two cents worth :)

Please feel free to comment.

Cheers

Upvote 0

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally used to sell this software and made a lot of $$ from it. It is considered spamming but you can balme microsoft for the. The are the ones who have bugs in the system

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by byalik
I personally used to sell this software and made a lot of $$ from it. It is considered spamming but you can balme microsoft for the. The are the ones who have bugs in the system

So that makes it morally ok to use? :weird:

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just cos there are bugs in Windows doesn't mean it's OK to exploit them byalik. At least that's what "i" think.

But what does a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer know? :)

Anyway, I'd like to see what the new owner has to say.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can do what most people do when they get the first message like this, go into your services tab and change the messenger service to disabled instead of automatic.

-=DCG=-

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks DotComGod.

Yup I can switch the service from Auto to Manual. I can even install a firewall if I really wanted to get into it.

But the bottom line is it's still SPAM isn't it?

It's just like SPAM mail. People can turn on SPAM filters but it doesn't make a SPAM program okay to sell, does it?

I guess I'm the only one who gives two hoots about SPAM :)

Cheers.

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No your not KayDee.
I'm sure their are others on this board that feel the same way. They just don't have the guts to say anything!
The rest are probably spammers and can't wait to get their hands on the tool :eek:

Domains and SPAM just don't go hand-in-hand IMO.
Cheers!

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I actually think it is great to exploit and companys products if they have bugs. They are charging so much for the software, it shouldn't have any bugs. I have the highest respect for hackers who can exploit such things

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm with you KayDee

I hate spam, whether by e-mail or by Messenger.

I was getting about 15 messages from the same company every day until I finally tried switching the messaging service off.

I'm still not sure whether it has affected my virus alerts :-(

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, lets buy some more software to plug the holes.
Then when the software stops working lets have the government run the internet. :eek:
There is a moral code and beauty to the Internet.
People get paid to find the exploits in software. They are called beta-testers and hackers. People that take advantage of exploits are called thieves and crooks.
Think of SPAM the same way and you may get the picture?
So if you are selling this software what category are you in?

I spent a few years as an admin for a very large company and software of this type is SPAM. No matter how you slice it!
JMHO
Good Luck!

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You're right NameCaster. SPAM is a huge problem that we all face. Just cos one of us knows how to stop ourselves from being attacked doesn't mean that it's Okay for others to use a spam software. It's like saying "Hey I won't get shot cos I'm wearing a bullet proof vest. So it's okay if that company sells guns and kills my neighbour!" It's just not right. Just cos one guy's protected does make it okay for someone else to sell products/services that harm others.

As a paid member, I have all the right to speak my mind out here. And I don't like what I see when I see that this site supports SPAM. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not the kind of guy whose gonna see an old lady fall down on the street and thank god I didn't fall down and walk on. I'm the kind of guy who'll help that old lady up AND kick the ass of the scate boarder who just whizzed past her making her fall!

byalik, there are two types of hackers. Black hats, who hack to make trouble and white hats, who hack to help plug holes. White hats are hired by many companies to beta test their software and make sure that there are no holes. Just pray that neither one of those hackers think YOUR pc is fair game and "exploit" it. :)

Thanks for the support dotNetKing. I'm glad we are not the only ones who are not affraid to speak out. I can't believe there aren't more.

Cheers.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
p.s.

KayDee, the definition you give of SPAM is the clearest, most informative and most coherent I have seen. Thank you for posting it.

This is the page KayDee is referrring to

http://dnforum.com/dnsoftware.htm

Marketing Revolution! Send your advertising message directly to millions of desktops without the need of a web browser! Target by Country, State or City!

I would be very appreciative if a decision was made to withdraw the advertisement.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dat spam dat really gets me is billboard spam eh. Ya know' I'm driving along da highway eh, at 110 km/hr in a massive metal object eh, I comes up over a hill eh, and BAM!! this 15'x40' piece of spam juat appears outta tin hair! Well I just about drives off da road eh, and tank God I gots my seat belt on eh. Mabey we should start wearing seat belts at our keyboards eh? 'Cause holey geez that computer spam can be nasty too.....and then there's that real spam, man does dat tase good...eh?

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks dotNetKing. Glad that definiton was clear :)

LOL Sharpy. I hear you man. Those SPAM billboards really are something huh?

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Count me in among those who don't like it and don't want it. Among my various email accounts, I probably get 500+ messages a day, of which 470+ are spam....that's more than enough without having them pop up on my screen also.

KayDee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that wyvern :) Thanks.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by byalik
Morals? Im russian/ukranian, I have no morals :)

Thanks for warning us in advance.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen that, but now that I have, I also feel it's an entirely inappropriate piece of software to be pushing given that this site is supposed to be "professional"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom