Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dnforum posts archived on search engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This seems new, perhaps after the upgrade. It appears that almost all posts on dnforum are available to anyone on search engines (At least on google and excite). It doesn't really bother me, but seems a little strange. I thought our posts were protected from search engines. Correct me if I'm wrong.........

RMF

Upvote 0

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com.net.org said:
Unregistered Users can see all the threads in any forum.
It's just they cannot see posts in a thread.
But if they're able to see the topic, it's enough and with the help of ALT, they can see some of the thread content.

Maybe the admin has applied wrong permissions on the platinum section.

You are right, this has changed recently - additionally with the rollover box it means that unregistered users can read most if not all of the 1st post - not good - reported.

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
If you log out and click on a Google link, the most you will get is up to Gold, which is free for anyone to view anyway - selling forums (Platinum) are not visible from these links without logging in.

Good Point.... I dont see it making a difference at all.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem is, anyone can see if you put a domain up for an appraisal on it, simply by searching for information on that domain name. This doesn't seem right.

RMF

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Domain Wanted area should also be kept private (if private is even possible). I thought I would look at one of my crap names :) and the domain including price are listed right on google! I don't care about this, but I would if it was a domain that I wanted kept on the forum.

See for yourself.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=chemtrails.net?

RMF

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
Perhaps the Domain Wanted area should also be kept private (if private is even possible). I thought I would look at one of my crap names :) and the domain including price are listed right on google! I don't care about this, but I would if it was a domain that I wanted kept on the forum.

See for yourself.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=chemtrails.net?

RMF

Not good at all. We are paying memebership here and this is what we get: our information spread all over Google.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com.net.org said:
But if they're able to see the topic, it's enough and with the help of ALT, they can see some of the thread content.
It's a TITLE tag. I agree that it seems there are unintended repercussions of features like this, as nice as they are.

~ Nexus

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion........

this issue has both a plus and minus side.......
with the domains and some content open to the internet, we get added exposure!

that added exposure, also may reveal different price scales, than we would offer to the "general public"!
also, as foremention, could hurt visitors to a site,were they perceived the site for sale!

All forums, would love to have their names listed in SEO's, so we just have to realize, that by posting prices for our names, we will assume that risk!

Those of us who post names and prices at other forums,should know that they, also have the same or similiar info on SEO's as well!

It is not a problem, that is exclusive to DNF!

navpros

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am just happy to know that it wasn't only me who was concerned about these issues. At least this thread is helping shed some light on this touchy subject. I am confident that it will all be resolved in the long-run. Until that time comes, I remain hesitant to list certain names in sales forums.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
spiders should be blocked. i'm surprised and disturbed to read all of this. of course, i should have known better. afraid i won't be listing prices (or maybe domains in general) any more.

Android

I

impactadmin

Hello,

Yes there are plus and minuses of having the forum spidered. However, as Dnforum is a business community where many transactions take place, we are always working to bring in more business for our members.

With the upgrade to 3.0, it did spider the forums, however from a business perspective and the overall benefit for dnforum is new business and members. By spidering some of the posts, it not only brings in new members but helps sell domains that are offered and not being moved.

Impactadmin

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
impactadmin said:
Hello,

Yes there are plus and minuses of having the forum spidered. However, as Dnforum is a business community where many transactions take place, we are always working to bring in more business for our members.

With the upgrade to 3.0, it did spider the forums, however from a business perspective and the overall benefit for dnforum is new business and members. By spidering some of the posts, it not only brings in new members but helps sell domains that are offered and not being moved.

Impactadmin

:laugh: I knew it :laugh:

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
impactadmin said:
Hello,

Impactadmin

Have you noticed an increase of sales because of this? To me, it just doesn't seem very good for us. It might bring in some more members, but you might also lose some members. Active members.

I would prefer the forum not to be spidered. I wonder how many members also feel this way.

RMF

izoot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did a google search on myself and a number of others to test and theres a ton of posts that show up. This is a very bad thing for us .... it maybe be good to bring members to the site but if we stop posting becasue of this the only people helped are site owners.

Spiders should be blocked...no exceptions. IF people want to see our posts...let them join like we did.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe a solution can be put into place here.

Maybe users can select whether or not they want the spiders to view in their thread and posts and also some system where it auto checks or unchecks those boxes if we want all of our posts spidered or not spidered.

I think its possible from a programming point of view..
- Jordan

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seriously though. If you want to improve this forum, stopping this is a big start. Do a poll if you want, but I think most members would like it stopped.

RMF

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how this negatively affects a sale or a domain listed?

I understand that if you post a site for sale you don't want memebsr knowing it's for sale.

But if you post a domain for sale that is just a domain and you offer it for $15 you are already stating its value so finding in a search engine shouldn't be a major concern.

I am open to this discussion just want to understand all sides.

-=DCG=-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom