Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dnforum posts archived on search engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This seems new, perhaps after the upgrade. It appears that almost all posts on dnforum are available to anyone on search engines (At least on google and excite). It doesn't really bother me, but seems a little strange. I thought our posts were protected from search engines. Correct me if I'm wrong.........

RMF

Upvote 0

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Can someone please tell me how this negatively affects a sale or a domain listed?

I am open to this discussion just want to understand all sides.

-=DCG=-
I believe the arguement is domains are sold here for reseller prices. So if I had listed 333.com for sale for $1,000, and it didn't sell, but I had it listed on my site for $3500.00, and a buyer contacted me, I would be worried that he could type it into google and see that I was willing to take $1,000.

Correct me if I am wrong folks ... :)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
Can someone please tell me how this negatively affects a sale or a domain listed?

I am open to this discussion just want to understand all sides.

-=DCG=-

DCG the problem is once the SE's start indexing these threads the content within the threads are indexed as well. So lets say a knowledgeable end user comes along and wants to buy xxxxxx.com from me. If the end-user knows what he/she is doing and check the linkpop and run across threads with the domain at reseller pricing then there goes whatever negotiation you may have had.

This situation happened to me months ago on a domain. First the end-user emails me and ask's for my price. I responded back with "Make me an offer." A day or so later the end-user came back with a link to a post from another forum with the statement "I'll pay this much."

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
I believe the arguement is domains are sold here for reseller prices. So if I had listed 333.com for sale for $1,000, and it didn't sell, but I had it listed on my site for $3500.00, and a buyer contacted me, I would be worried that he could type it into google and see that I was willing to take $1,000.

Correct me if I am wrong folks ... :)

Thats a big part to it.. At least for me. Another part is appraisals. I doubt I'll ever ask for another appraisal here again. Potential end users might be influenced on the apprasials. As another member had said, sometimes you want to see what you can get for a domain/website, but don't want your own members to know its potentially forsale.

RMF

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, those are all decent explanations.

Thank you!

We will see what we can do and block certain sections from being spidered, I know this is possible.

-=DCG=-

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm sure a lot of members will be happy with that.

RMF

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Making DNF SE friendly probably has it's negatives, but I would think the positives would definitely outweigh the negative by a long shot.

Think of the internet as a group of islands. The more you are connected with the other islands the better chance you will be able to sell your goods

Here is what happens when you sell only to a few people:

http://www.whyy.org/tv12/franklinfacts/apr0402_4.jpg

As far as "end users" finding your name on Google for dirt cheap, I think that is nobody's fault but your own. Think about it? Whose fault is it? If you put up "good" names for sale at wholesale prices then you had better be willing to sell them at that price.

I think it would be a very grave mistake if DNF closes it's Sale Forum to spiders. That is like sticking your head in sand.

Instead of embracing technology most of you are running scared. I've got news for you. Either adapt to the new ways of doing business, or close up shop now. Do you realize that "search" is how people actually find things nowadays? Or am I missing something?

Try this. Instead of peddling domains. Get serious about your business, and make your sales thread, spider ready.... (hmmmm... Let that cook your noodle)

That's my .02 for today! Hopefully it woke some of you up...

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keeping a few forums from being indexed won't change traffic here or decrease the profit margin of the site. End-users won't pay to signup for this site to buy one name.

If I list a name at a price I'm willing to sell it at that price. What I don't want those that visit my reseller site or just happen to be intersted in a particular domain to locate it at that price when I could possibly get more.

For example I recently sold a domain to the the old owner for $500. Which happens to be a domain that I listed on this site and couldn't sell for $20. Now if this person went to google and found a thread where I had this domain listed at $20, I'm screwed...

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
Making DNF SE friendly probably has it's negatives, but I would think the positives would definitely outweigh the negative by a long shot.

Think of the internet as a group of islands. The more you are connected with the other islands the better chance you will be able to sell your goods

Here is what happens when you sell only to a few people:

http://www.whyy.org/tv12/franklinfacts/apr0402_4.jpg

As far as "end users" finding your name on Google for dirt cheap, I think that is nobody's fault but your own. Think about it? Whose fault is it? If you put up "good" names for sale at wholesale prices then you had better be willing to sell them at that price.

I think it would be a very grave mistake if DNF closes it's Sale Forum to spiders. That is like sticking your head in sand.

Instead of embracing technology most of you are running scared. I've got news for you. Either adapt to the new ways of doing business, or close up shop now. Do you realize that "search" is how people actually find things nowadays? Or am I missing something?

Try this. Instead of peddling domains. Get serious about your business, and make your sales thread, spider ready.... (hmmmm... Let that cook your noodle)

That's my .02 for today! Hopefully it woke some of you up...

Thanks for the "other side of the coin" arguement ... :) good points

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JoltHost said:
End-users won't pay to signup for this site to buy one name.

Most savvy end users "use" WHOIS. If they came across a name they want via Google, they'd most likely get your contact info by doing a lookup.

Reason: They are smart enough to know the name could have been sold, hence the reason for contacting the registrant via a current whois to see if they'd be willing to sell.

JoltHost said:
For example I recently sold a domain to the the old owner for $500. Which happens to be a domain that I listed on this site and couldn't sell for $20. Now if this person went to google and found a thread where I had this domain listed at $20, I'm screwed...

I have no comment other than to say I think anyone who reads this with their "eyes wide open" would see the perfect solution to your "problem"

One bit of advice in selling your domains: Know your market. You do that you'll always come out ahead. (hint: Domainers typically will not fork out more than $100 for a domain--usually it's less---a lot less)

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I solved my "problem" months ago. Try searching my old posts. :) I as a paying user on a resellers forum would prefer not to have to worry about my prices getting out there incase my "Eye's were shut" on occasion.

We're all in it to make a buck so why educate everyone the hard way just because they aren't as smart as you. The easiest way would be to solve the problem via the threads.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
izopod said:
I have no comment other than to say I think anyone who reads this with their "eyes wide open" would see the perfect solution to your "problem"

Selling domains is unique, in that, there is no suggested retail price, or price model, except the reg fee ... There's nothing wrong with selling a domain for $2000 that you once had listed for $20 ... it's part of the game .. in most cases, a waiting game.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want people to find the name on SE's then they will find
the End User prices on their Domain Portfolio Site.

Cheers to Adam for deciding to shut out the spiders I think its just a line
in robots.txt, he's taking a hit cutting publicity for the whole forum for
the benefit of members.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is it 'fixed' now?

I had stopped using domains for my sig because of this and stpped asking for appraisals.

If it is somehow not spidered, please let me know!

Thanks.

Bionic

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MrWebname said:
Did I miss something

DotComGod said:
ok, those are all decent explanations.

Thank you!

We will see what we can do and block certain sections from being spidered, I know this is possible.

-=DCG=-

This is what people were asking for, mostly the forums that have prices associated
with members domains, otherwise a lot of business will be driven to
PMs and lose the atmosphere. :cool:

I

impactadmin

Hi guys,

We have taken this all into consideration and decided to block some of the posts from being spidered. Most or all sales posts will be blocked first thing monday as well as the appraisal section.

This will protect sensitive reseller information from leaking into the public eyes.

OVer the next few days we will also play with other options to limit the amount of spidering.

Thanks
Impactadmin

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot!
I am sure that will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom