• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

do city names worth anything if .net / .info / .org ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

italiandragon

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,588
Reaction score
5
I wonder if some city names of about 50,000 people worth anything if they are .info , .net or .org

I think so but would love to hear other opinions.

Cheers
 
depends... in the EU internet penetration is around 50%... so ideally there would be 25000 internet users in a town/city with population of 50000 which quite good. thus there might be some traffic. if the town/city is a famous place, you'll have many visitors from other locations. then again, i think only ccTLD city names have traffic (with a few exceptions)... at least that's what i noticed. problem is all the ccTLD city names are taken. as for info, net or org, i think they are worth of smth only for ppl who want to develop them into websites. personally i would take infos rather than nets or orgs.
 
cheers mate so let`s make an example:

would you prefer Roma.it rather than Roma.com or Rome.com ?

In Italy .it is preferred than .com so I agree with you but look at Branson.com sold for more than $1.5 millions, small town in Missouri.

They did not buy Branson.us, I think Usa is preferring .coms because they think represents Usa and it will take more time.
 
italiandragon said:
They did not buy Branson.us, I think Usa is preferring .coms because they think represents Usa and it will take more time.

USA is very different from EU in this sense. Furthermore, I think americans might be more likely to visit rome.com while italians roma.it. what i also noticed is that native speakers rarely use english names with their ccTLD. some cities have different variants of their name in english and the local language, ie a local person would be more likely to visit roma.it rather than rome.it, while a foreigner would be more likely to visit rome.com rather than roma.com. of course, there might be lots of exceptions, however, I think in europe this is fairly true.
 
mistermouse63 said:
USA is very different from EU in this sense. Furthermore, I think americans might be more likely to visit rome.com while italians roma.it. what i also noticed is that native speakers rarely use english names with their ccTLD. some cities have different variants of their name in english and the local language, ie a local person would be more likely to visit roma.it rather than rome.it, while a foreigner would be more likely to visit rome.com rather than roma.com. of course, there might be lots of exceptions, however, I think in europe this is fairly true.

yes I agree totally, thank you
 
We hold a few International city / state names outside the .com space (i.e. in .org, .net) and they have received significant interest both from end users and resellers or brokers...

Hold 'em for the right buyer or develop.

I laugh when I get a $100 offer for a short TLD for a city/region with a population of 2M+ (!)
 
italiandragon said:
I wonder if some city names of about 50,000 people worth anything if they are .info , .net or .org

I think so but would love to hear other opinions.

Cheers
In Europe, Info and com cities can bring some of the biggest purchase prices (in addition to the respective countries ccTLD). In the United States, Cities with populations above 10k are very tough to pick up in com and the .US cctld. Also tough to pick up .info locations. My guess on an example of SanFrancisco.com would maybe take $20 million+ to pick up if at all. US City 2 word hyphen infos have sold for $xx,xxx recently. My experience is that net and org don't work well.

Let me know if you find any, I'm a buyer. :usa2:
 
Stocdoctor said:
In Europe, Info and com cities can bring some of the biggest purchase prices (in addition to the respective countries ccTLD). In the United States, Cities with populations above 10k are very tough to pick up in com and the .US cctld. Also tough to pick up .info locations. My guess on an example of SanFrancisco.com would maybe take $20 million+ to pick up if at all. US City 2 word hyphen infos have sold for $xx,xxx recently. My experience is that net and org don't work well.

Let me know if you find any, I'm a buyer. :usa2:

Thank you.....I`m digging.......and can confirm it`s extremely hard to find something in USA
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom