• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Do you ever want out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

labrocca

Omniscient
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
3
Do you ever consider just selling your portfolio and moving on? I like what I do but sometimes I wish I could start fresher with less sites so I could concentrate more instead of having hundreds.

Lately I wonder if I could sell off my whole portfolio and get a fair amount and just start over.

Ever feel this way?

Maybe I just need a beer. :-)
 
Lab,

Your talking about selling your portfolio with $xx-$xxx domains and invest in $x,xxx to $xx,xxx domains?

I'm planning on doing that when I have a big cashflow.

=]
 
Yes, that happens to me sometimes.

Sometimes, I think I should just leave the business and focus soley on school work or other stuff. But then I make a nice sale, or get a new customer or something like that and I get drawn back in.

As for selling all your domains and starting over, I can't really comment since my business model does not use a large portfolio of names (although sometimes I wish it did)

The beer sounds like a great idea, cheers!
 
Yep i agree,sell my portfolio and concentrate on a few core quality domains or just a specific group like gaming domains ! or maybe specialise say in just .com or .net ?
 
I would keep 10 domains max I think and only concentrate on development. I think I am overloaded. I am not a PPC guy at all so I don't hold these things to get money that way. I develop just about everything I have or at least plan to develop. I do a lot of work but since it's spread out I don't think I am seeing the benefits well enough. I could use the loot to finish my pool as well. I want to pay cash for it and not finance it at all. I bought about 400 names and sites this past year and at that pace I won't be doing much developing. Something has to change....and I wonder if a portfolio purge is what I need. I know most things I have would draw profit. I have some good names and even better sites. Something to consider...of course the beer might simply do the trick as well..I will let you know.
 
You will need to seek a licensed counselor on the matter.
 
My development services are always open :-)
 
I say go for it... keep the very best and liquidate the rest (10 domains sounds good).

With the revenue from all of your sales, build a couple of Monster sites and focus on them.

Also, save a couple of your best domains for investment purposes.
 
labrocca said:
Ever feel this way?

Maybe I just need a beer. :-)
------------------------------------------------

Yes. Sell a domain or have a beer - either one might help you decide--lol
 
labrocca said:
I could use the loot to finish my pool as well.

I'd say have the beer, skip the pool, and keep the domains! :-)
 
how many domains do you have in your portfolio?
 
ive been trying to sell of a large chunk of my portfolio so i can focus on dev. and buying good names instead of regging so-so names. Sometimes i feel like im in over my head especially with renewals pending
 
As to the above post, I don't think there are too many assets in the world that aren't worth a $7 per year maintenance fee (renewals). Regular Real Estate has tax each year and it is much more than $7 per parcel.

As to the original thread starter.....sometimes you need a change of pace. I suggest cutting back on the developing and begin buying and selling without any development. Free money is dropping from the sky. I buy a lot of names and sell under 5 percent of them to pay living expenses and taxes (renewals) on my properties. If I ever hit the wall I will likely start developing a few names instead of just buying and occasionally selling.

The problem right now with selling your whole portfolio and starting over is that most people erroneously will be looking to pay a very small revenue number and that will almost totally discount brandable names.

I sold a name today for $1,500 to and end-user....through a GoldKey for-sale link. I paid $6.75 for the name this past August 30th (found on expireddomains.com list). It essentially got zero traffic and even less clicks......great name though. I sell quite a few of those each month and that pays for my whole business. I wish I could sell my whole portfolio at once based on the Brandability....but the market is not there yet.....that's fine with me.
 
labrocca said:
Do you ever consider just selling your portfolio and moving on?
Ever feel this way?

All the freaking time.

I have been in the domain name game for 6 years now. The landscape has changed so much. With time, I go through more and more phases where I want out. I cringe at the price I would get for my portfolio from a reseller... so I stay in the game (I don't want out THAT bad - yet).

I also promise myself not to buy anymore names, but alas, there is always a deal to be found somewhere. I just bought 9 more names yesterday. %+| It is a never ending circle. Perhaps one of these days I'll get fed up enough to actually get the heck out.

-Bob
 
i'm only at 200 names, and want more, and have been happy with the income growth the last few month, and hope it continues... To me it is just a matter of time to build an income that I and my family can reley on, so no, I don't want out.
 
i wud sell the all, buy one/few bigs, park them and concentrate on something else, come here time to time to read the news,

and then, when fed up of something else - comeback again

its how it is- booring

i.e. bad weather syndrome

dcg never bored coz maybe flying around Bahamas with his yachts all year around...imho
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom