Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Do you pay for whois-privacy on all your domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I personally use it on around 50% of my sites, where I dont want to be contacted, I wouldnt consider selling.

this got me thinking, would anyone actually considering paying, say $5-$10 depending on portifolio size for a year, that year entitles you to change the whois on unlimited domains to a privacy protect service, with email forwarding or blackhole, and a guarantee of never disclosing whois information unless forced, I could operate something like this offshore

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see why you should use whois-privacy unless you've got something to hide or have unlawful/trademark infringing material on the website. It only looks suspicious IMO.

Wilm1998

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For those who don't use privacy, what is the extent of junk mail and phone calls you receive? (Is it just occasional or are you bombarded?)

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For those who don't use privacy, what is the extent of junk mail and phone calls you receive? (Is it just occasional or are you bombarded?)

Occasional.

ptaylor

DNF Newbie
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can get a VOIP number for $30 per year w/ Yahoo Voice. However, their customer service sucks so don't expect to ever get ahold of anyone.

I also use fastmail.fm for email address because it allows you to create up to 30 alies within one email account.

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A question to you people who say you use a business name, is this a registered business?

Cashcows

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never used privacy on any of my 4000 domains. Even those that are real sites that sell my products. Why hide? It all goes to my mailing address not my home address. Even my adult domains I don't use privacy. If they want to contact you they will find away. It you have no mailing address and your a cam girl that does not want to have stalkers showing up at your door maybe it's good other than that I think it's just another way for the Registrars to make money but at least it's not as bad as that lame domain appraisal service most offer.

markmrb

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are a domainer and want privacy on all of them, then some companies like GoDaddy offers free privacy if you register 5 or more domain names. This will probably workout if you are buying 5 or more domains at a time. Also, I would note that you will be charged for the privacy when you go to renew the domain names, so you only get the privacy on the first year.

saya

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
when i buy 8 .info domains in godaddy, i get privat whois for all.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have used privacy for perhaps 3 or 4 domains in all my domaining years.

These were exceptionally controversial sites (with huge pro vs. con sides) that I simply did not want to be blasted for. It was simply a matter of very heated issues being part of culture whether you liked them or not - these issues still existed.

I just recently selected WHOIS privacy on a domain name that my wife and I plan on using as our email address. The domain was already regged by me and we decided this is the email address we wanted. I have to select a new email account as Alltel email accounts will cease as of May 2009.

I saw no reason to have a domain name that we plan on using for personal email accounts to have those details exposed. I renewed the domain name for 10 years and added privacy for the 10 years as well.

Beyond that, I see no use for privacy if you are in the business (or a hobbyist) of selling domain names.

Otherwise, I would not get emails inquiring about a domain price.

And I also use it to confirm ownership of domains I want to purchase. There is a rash of stolen names floating around. I will confirm ownership and emails of the person who is the owner.

Besides, I ain't paying no one for 5,000 plus privacy accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom