• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Domain Expiry Discrepancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioz

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
19
Hi!

I just got an explanation of this situation from Gordon at DropWizard. The situation is this, the registry now automatically 'renews' the domain name and bills the registrar $6.00 for the renewal. The registrar then has up to 60 days to drop the renewal and not actually ante up the $6.00. They can of course drop it sooner and send it to the 'redemption period' cycle as most seem to do. They can also continue to keep it in limbo by paying the $6 even if their customer never actually renews. It's sort of a mess. Personally, I'd keep (and am keeping some) the Snap on 'your' name for a while if it is a good name that you actually want. I suspect that some will hold for nearly the full 60 days but may decide to drop things when the bill is due. I guess this does make a little sense as their customer may say 'gosh, I let our domain name drop' whereup the registrar can get a, likely several year renewal plus a $5-10 surcharge. I had this happen with one domain and was glad to pay the extra $5, of course. That name did indicate a renewal on the 'simple' 'WhoIs' page before I did renew it 5 days late. My guess is that shortly after 60 days past the expiry date, you might as well move your snap to something else though.

Best Wishes,

Jon
 
Jon ,

You are right. I have snap on a name which expired many months ago but was 'renewed' by the registrar (not the registrant). It has not been dropped and I am not very happy about it. :mad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom