Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Domain name and NYTimes best seller

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi group,

I have a retail domain name that I have partially developed. WordPress with about 50 affiliate products. Mainly developed it with intention of selling it to someone in the same industry. So only developed it to add value to domain name.

But now I noticed someone has a book on the NYTimes best seller with the same name/title, and there's talk of a movie.

Google keyword tool reports: 246,000 (Global Monthly Searches) with Broad Match @ $1.76 (CPC) so lots of potential if I could get a number one spot on Google. I have owned the domain name for over 10 years and the book came out in 2010. It's a strange name for a book and the domain name is very much a retail name.

So my question.

What are your thoughts around me dumping the retail site and creating a site to promote the book. Would I be infringing copyright? I don't want to do anything wrong... but there's potential $$$'s on the table. Alternatively, I could just sit on it and hope a movie comes out... in which case I am sure they would seek me out with offers to buy.

Anyway, just wanting to get some ideas on how others would move forward in such a situation.

p.s. Would really like to get Adam's take on this.

Update:
I did just find this regarding copyright and book titles:
http://biztaxlaw.about.com/b/2010/04/21/can-a-book-title-be-copyrighted.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom