Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Domain names renewed after registar is informed of cancellation (UK issue possibly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I hope some domainers out there may be able to advise on my situation.

I hold a quite a few domains with a well known domain registrar and last year I cancelled a domain via the official process due to not wanting to renew the name. The process showed the domain as cancelled, I received all the emails confirming this but was still invoiced and charged by the registar on the renewal date earlier this year. They took my money which was not returned until after an official complaint was made. I went through the process and was refunded approx 10 days later.

Due to not being happy with the lack of faith in the systems and the customer support I received, I emailed as part of the complaint to stop the auto renewal of all of my domains with them and also for the removal of payment methods so this could not happen again. This part of the complaints process was not acted upon.

Over the past week I have been invoiced for 3 domains and payment has been requested from my Paypal account.

I have made a further complaint but they are rejecting this as they say I should have cancelled the domains via the normal route.

I have said that I had done this via email as part of the complaints procedure as the systems they told me to use had already failed me.

They have said that due to their systems and new procedures which came into force in March 2011 "Here in the complaints department we are unable to issue refunds on UK accounts for any reason".

Surely this is illegal?

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never had a domain with them but they got a bad track record: BBB Thread

Why didn't you transfer out your names when they first charged you?

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never had a domain with them but they got a bad track record: BBB Thread

Why didn't you transfer out your names when they first charged you?

I stupidly believed that carry out the instruction. I have had a lot of things to deal with over the past few months and the only domains I was looking to keep are still not due for renewal until late this year so did not think it would be an issue.

I was looking to move about 6 domains away and leave the rest to lapse which is what I will be doing.

Anyone recommend a good registar for this?

Cheers

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with them too, at the start, and I found it impossible to contact them on the site, by email or by phone. Never used them again.

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can remove pre-approved payments from your paypal:

1. Login to paypal.com
2. click on "profile"
3. click on "My pre-approved payments"
4. click on the merchant name.
5. click cancel

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
1&1 stands for "pay for one year and we'll charge you for another one" :D

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can remove pre-approved payments from your paypal:

1. Login to paypal.com
2. click on "profile"
3. click on "My pre-approved payments"
4. click on the merchant name.
5. click cancel

Many thanks for this Erdinc, I was was unaware I could do this : )

Marco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apart from stopping payment to them which I have now done, what is the best form of action to take against them such as filing complaints against them as it appears to have been exhausted with the company themselves.

Are there regulators?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1&1 is famous for being difficult to work with. Did you cancel the domain in time ? (refer to the T&C).
Unless the amount involved is significant I would write it off as 'education'. Get yourself a real registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom