Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isn't it acquiring an "expired domain" name, same as stealing someone's car parked on the street? Or like cheating on somebody, cheating at school test? Or worst yet, if you are not able to take the "initiative" to get a "well thought of" domain name for yourself, then do it right, buy the initiative and creativity from the "owner". I've heard owners complain about domain names they forgot to renew because of other problems or responsibilities going on in their lives at that time. So why steal someone else's thought? :eek:

I guess people who think integrity and ethics have to take a back seat in order to expedite profits abound. :mad:

Am I wrong here?

Domain summit 2024

I guess I don't follow your logic.

If I choose not to renew a domain name and it expires, how does your registering it result in stealing anything from anyone? I let it expire. When the expired domain drops, it doesn't even exist anymore. When you register it, you create it again.

What am I missing? Are you just trolling?

-t

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt
I guess I don't follow your logic.

If I choose not to renew a domain name and it expires, how does your registering it result in stealing anything from anyone? I let it expire. When the expired domain drops, it doesn't even exist anymore. When you register it, you create it again.

What am I missing? Are you just trolling?

-t

Yes thewitt
I agree with you. If a domain dropps, then it mean`s that the previous owner don`t need it anymore.

Originally posted by powerbulbvitalia
Isn't it acquiring an "expired domain" name, same as stealing someone's car parked on the street? Or like cheating on somebody, cheating at school test? Or worst yet, if you are not able to take the "initiative" to get a "well thought of" domain name for yourself, then do it right, buy the initiative and creativity from the "owner". I've heard owners complain about domain names they forgot to renew because of other problems or responsibilities going on in their lives at that time. So why steal someone else's thought? :eek:

I guess people who think integrity and ethics have to take a back seat in order to expedite profits abound. :mad:

Am I wrong here?

First of all, domains are being registered for a minimum of 1 year nowadays. In the old days, when Network Solutions was the only Registrar, some people/companies started registering domains en masse, as an investment. A lot of these "investments" never materialized: the dot com bubble burst, domains were not as high valued anymore, policies changed. Keeping a lot of domains just in case they might increase in value (hoarding) became an expensive hobby. These same people/companies let go of these domains by the thousands/millions. All throughout 2000/2001 the reselling gold rush became a favorite game.

So who's thoughts/ideas are resellers stealing? And what constitutes theft of something that was abandonded? I am not saying that there are not VERY RARE cases where an individual lost a domain because his life was so messed up that he forgot to renew it. But in 99,999 cases out of 100,000 that's not the situation.

Isn't it acquiring an "expired domain" name, same as stealing someone's car parked on the street?

Its certainly not stealing, as the owner has forfeited all rights to that character string. When you register a domain name you are subject to a very clear registration agreement which forms a legally binding contract. Non renewal for whatever reason simply brings that agreement to an end.

Its like someone leaving their car in the street with the keys in it and a sign saying "Free to a good home".

updatedsports

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There is no way it is stealing because chances are the new owner of the expired domain name doesn't even know someone else owned it.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with safesys

Originally posted by MC Juice
And while on the subject of stealing. Aren't these same original owners, stealing from us?
Registering a name in 95' and having no site, even up till now.

Meanwhile tons of us would have much interest in the domain, to develop a site with it.

If people pay their reg fee, I don't see why they can't do what they please with the site. They could have "hello world" on that domain for the rest of time and that would be fair imo.

Its the same as me saying I wish they'd knock down the whitehouse as I could use the land for a really nice hotel - its not my land to use regardless of what I would like to do with it.

D

domaingator

Powerbulb,

Who pulled your electrical cord? Clearly the members have shown how absurd your thought process is. No need for further comment.

He, he he.....I love this. Everybody is on fire!! about this subject.
The reason it is domain theft is that the person who "first" registered a domain name is in reality the "real" owner. We are not talking here about "money value" but "creativity value". When someone goes to a site and see "expired domain names for sale", the person who sees that particular domai name likes it, and takes it without any "creative" effort on his part. Expired domain names are definitely stolen domain names. The original registrar will always be the owner no matter what. And, I never heard of anybody parking his/her car on the street with the key and a sign in it, "this is for the taking". Have you? The car parked on the street is a very good example of what I am talking about.
You have your car parked on the street, say for three weeks and when you come back to get it, it is gone!...but it is still YOUR CAR! no matter what. The thieft stole it because it was there in a visible spot.

Hey,
Powerbulb :) hehehe.

Welcome back after a month, powerbulbvitalia. Did you actually come up with that creative name? :D

Oh please, calling us thieves because we snap expired domain names. You are accusing us of lack of creativity on top of that.

I'll be creative for you: Your new title will be Useless Troll.

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
You simply lease the domain, if you don't continue to pay, someone else can buy it. Kind of like leasing a car. Not too difficult to understand.. PowerBulb did you read safesys first post above? Seems very clear to me..

Whats creative about one word domains or common term/descriptive domains?

You sound bitter about this subject - have you lost a domain to someone this way?

Originally posted by safesys
Whats creative about one word domains or common term/descriptive domains?

You sound bitter about this subject - have you lost a domain to someone this way?

Not POWERBULBVITALIA.COM for sure :D

He, he he.....I love this. Everybody is on fire!! about this subject.
You have your car parked on the street, say for three weeks and when you come back to get it, it is gone!...but it is still YOUR CAR! no matter what. The thieft stole it because it was there in a visible spot.

Hey,
Powerbulb :) hehehe.

And what happens if you don't make the payments on the car? The finance company takes it away and sells it. Is that theft?

Am I wrong here?

No.. certainly not theft.

"Creativity" is protected through the TMPO / TradeMarks & Patents. Period.

A domain name is protected intell. property only while the registration fee's are current & in good standing.

D

domaingator

Powerbulb, DG likes an contrarian attitude, good on you!

Too bad you so poorly articulated your position.

Originally posted by WandaMay

A domain name is protected intell. property only while the registration fee's are current & in good standing.

Seems even that is open to debate.

I'm not sure if courtrs are yet willing to see domain names as intellectual property, though the position may be changing, anyone heard anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators