Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

other DOMAINPEOPLE Payment page down for almost three weeks

This is a discussion about another domain name register/company not listed.

carledgar

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have hundreds of domain names registered at domainpeople dot com. Although they have generally been good to very good over the years, I'm starting to see worrying signs. Since January 21, I've been unable to add funds to my account using their standard payments screen (current error screen shown below).

The only way I can make a payment is to send an email to billing@domainpeople dot com and hope to get a callback (Joy D is the person who has taken two of my payments this way)

However, this is arbitrary and may or may not work in any particular instance.

The story is that their developers are working on it. However, I've never experienced a site that didn't get major outgages corrected in a day or two. I worry that in some fashion the company has lost the ability to get a supplier to handle payments for them - although I cam not alleging this.

My question is: is it legally permissible for an ICANN-accredited registrar to function with a guaranteed online payments method?

It's presumably possible to send them a check but that can involve delays of more than a week, which is useless, when a spur of the moment account top-up is req'd.

does anyone else deal with domainpeople or have any insight into this bizarre situation

Regards/UrlOwner

DomainPeople Reseller Account Deposit

The page could not be found

/pay?x_relay_response=TRUE&x_show_form=PAYMENT_FORM&x_receipt_link_method=AUTO-POST&x_login=WSP-DOMAI-tMXrVQAXgg&x_fp_sequence=1549731375424&x_fp_timestamp=1549731375&x_amount=20.00&x_fp_hash=c490f70e853040cbcab5ff614264d902&x_currency_code=USD&x_type=AUTH_CAPTURE&x_invoice_num=PD208400&x_string=WSP-DOMAI-tMXrVQAXgg^1549731375424^1549731375^20.00^USD&x_receipt_link_url=https://www.domainpeople.com/userAd...k&clinkNextPage=confirmation&clinkFinish=true

Please go back and try again. If the error persists, contact E-xact.com support at 1-877-303-9228 or email: support(at)e-xact.com

(E-xact dot com reports that the outage is a domainpeople issue, not theirs)

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i never heard of them or recall anybody else saying they had names there

but, i am sorry you have to experience such issues

kinda reminds me of the demise of Registerfly.com

hope you get some resolve

imo...

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
and no sign of it being fixed

I have hundreds of domain names registered at domainpeople dot com. Although they have generally been good to very good over the years, I'm starting to see worrying signs. Since January 21, I've been unable to add funds to my account using their standard payments screen (current error screen shown below).

The only way I can make a payment is to send an email to billing@domainpeople dot com and hope to get a callback (Joy D is the person who has taken two of my payments this way)

However, this is arbitrary and may or may not work in any particular instance.

The story is that their developers are working on it. However, I've never experienced a site that didn't get major outgages corrected in a day or two. I worry that in some fashion the company has lost the ability to get a supplier to handle payments for them - although I cam not alleging this.

My question is: is it legally permissible for an ICANN-accredited registrar to function with a guaranteed online payments method?

It's presumably possible to send them a check but that can involve delays of more than a week, which is useless, when a spur of the moment account top-up is req'd.

does anyone else deal with domainpeople or have any insight into this bizarre situation

Regards/carledgar (urlowner)

Here's the page that greets resellers trying to top up their accounts

"DomainPeople Reseller Account Deposit

The page could not be found

/pay?x_relay_response=TRUE&x_show_form=PAYMENT_FORM&x_receipt_link_method=AUTO-POST&x_login=WSP-DOMAI-tMXrVQAXgg&x_fp_sequence=1549731375424&x_fp_timestamp=1549731375&x_amount=20.00&x_fp_hash=c490f70e853040cbcab5ff614264d902&x_currency_code=USD&x_type=AUTH_CAPTURE&x_invoice_num=PD208400&x_string=WSP-DOMAI-tMXrVQAXgg^1549731375424^1549731375^20.00^USD&x_receipt_link_url=https://www.domainpeople.com/userAd...k&clinkNextPage=confirmation&clinkFinish=true

Please go back and try again. If the error persists, contact E-xact.com support at 1-877-303-9228 or email: support(at)e-xact.com

(E-xact dot com reports that the outage is a domainpeople issue, not theirs)"

Aa a supplementary question, which registrar would you recommend for transfer of my 400+ names, preferably with the benefit of some promotion or other

Thanks all

Carl

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i never heard of them or recall anybody else saying they had names there

but, i am sorry you have to experience such issues

kinda reminds me of the demise of Registerfly.com

hope you get some resolve

imo...

OK - I see now that I should actually have posted this below in the industry discussion threads

Reaction score
I have never heard of them. Therefore they'd have to offer something exceptional to make me want to use them. As they appear to be offering a worse setup I would get my domains out of there asap.

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like that according to ICANNs registrar TOS they just need to provide something similar to the service level of a credit card:

Registrar shall not activate any Registered Name unless and until it is
satisfied that it has received a reasonable assurance of payment of its
registration fee. For this purpose, a charge to a credit card, general
commercial terms extended to creditworthy customers, or other mechanism
providing a similar level of assurance of payment shall be sufficient, provided
that the obligation to pay becomes final and non-revocable by the Registered
Name Holder upon activation of the registration.

But maybe you can find something more specific:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.pdf

I would also look into alternative registrars at this point. Many retails outfits deliver similar price points to reseller accounts these days. I only have the "standard bulk plan" at Dynadot and pay 8.75$ per .com renewal. Just takes a yearly spend of 500$ or more.

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well it looks like that according to ICANNs registrar TOS they just need to provide something similar to the service level of a credit card:

I would also look into alternative registrars at this point. Many retails outfits deliver similar price points to reseller accounts these days. I only have the "standard bulk plan" at Dynadot and pay 8.75$ per .com renewal. Just takes a yearly spend of 500$ or more.

Appreciate replies and advice - now 3.25 days. They keep generating trouble tickets but do not actually specify any action - i presume that even if everyone was gone their IT would continue to generate trouble tickets until their power was cut off:)

i usually renew names 20 days after expiry and I don't think names can be transferred when they're in that status - perhaps I'm wrong

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

i am trying to transfer some to Dynadot but central registry is reporting the authorisation codes are inaccurate and domainpeople says they will try to regenerate manually (for one example I gave them). It sounds like a long, hard, labour intensive road to get any transfers done

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the good thing is that IF they go under, you will get your domains back at some point. Even back in the Regfly debacle we all got our names back at some point.

Sound thing to try the move now though.

Last edited:

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It does sound like it is going to be intensive. Good luck and I hope you manage to get it done Carl.

Consider NameSilo.com as well. Good pricing with free privacy and many other free tools. Just a suggestion.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recall the Regfly debacle as well Lars. Had a few hundred names with them. When they failed GD took over their name management and I lost no names...they were just moved to an account that GD created for me.

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It does sound like it is going to be intensive. Good luck and I hope you manage to get it done Carl.

Consider NameSilo.com as well. Good pricing with free privacy and many other free tools. Just a suggestion.

Jeepers - have you had your hip replacement and are back in the saddle already, jaydub?

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domainpeople (Hostway is another of their brands) finally got a payments page back up, around Feb 14/15. No idea whether my repeated emails and general badgering helped at all. I'm sure other resellers were hopping mad as well.

A second issue has been brewing, however, in that, in attempting to transfer a few names to dynadot, 1-4 weeks prior to expiry, I am getting consistent "authorization code for <> is incorrect (according to the central registry. Domainpeople regenerates the codes and they seem to be working but that's a hell of a lot of manual labour to transfer a name - multiplied by dozens or hundreds. I can understand auth codes failing after expiry (although expired names can sometimes be transferred).

Anyway, that's the current situation. They've apologized re the payments issue and finally seem to have it fixed but the auth codes issue is pretty annoying.

Thanks all who replied helpfully or commiserated:)

Carl

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the Auth codes get sorted as I know that can be really frustrating as without them you can’t do anything.

Not walking 100% yet but feeling pretty good after 3 weeks!
Ain’t modern medicine wonderful Carl:)

Jeepers - have you had your hip replacement and are back in the saddle already, jaydub?

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure is, jaydub - had a triple bypass 18 months ago and fixed me right up:)) Glad you'e so mobile after such a short time - takes a bit longer after a bypass but the results are worth it:)

carledgar

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All issues with domainpeople were resolved as of about a week ago - it took time but they got 'er done. Meanwhile, I've been transferring names to dynadot when they get down to 2-3 weeks and get a reseller deal that's about 8% cheaper than my previous - which with 400+ domains.

You've had another 12 days, jaydub - hope they're gradually giving you a spring in your step, man:)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Happy to see you got things resolved Carl...it’s a load off I’m sure!

Walking with a cane now Carl...thanks for that my friend:)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators