• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Offers DomainsDaddy.com...GoDaddy made offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry McGough

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Greetings,
Long story short....
GoDaddy sent a couple of infringement letters...I challenged...they just offered $1,500.oo

I'm leaning towards simply accepting that figure instead if dickering around with their legal department and ending up with nothing.

I'll probably reply in the next 24 hours.

If any of you big time domainers see additional value and want to go a few rounds with GoDaddy, then make me an offer and if I still have it we'll talk.

Thanks
 
Jerry McGough said:
Greetings,
Long story short....
GoDaddy sent a couple of infringement letters...I challenged...they just offered $1,500.oo

I'm leaning towards simply accepting that figure instead if dickering around with their legal department and ending up with nothing.

I'll probably reply in the next 24 hours.

If any of you big time domainers see additional value and want to go a few rounds with GoDaddy, then make me an offer and if I still have it we'll talk.

Thanks

I believe $1500 is excatly the cost for filing a domain complaint through ICAAN, I think you should sell it and walk away with the money
 
I have also recived some letters from GD about my domain.
But this domain is so bad that I don´t even want to post it here.
 
Wow. I'd take the $1500 and let it settle. Anything you would go through in court would probably be higher. How much per year are you earning from it, if any?
 
Domainah...thanks...it would make sense to give it to me and not risk losing their claim

Domains54326....if yourself or anyone else is interested and wants to see any emails...no problem, just PM me...I don't really want to post them since these posts end up in search results.
 
DomainsDaddy and GoDaddy are very different names. Go for the bick bucks.
 
dotfrog said:
DomainsDaddy and GoDaddy are very different names. Go for the bick bucks.
I am afriad thats not true, if you have a trademark, like godaddy has, it applies in the field that your business is in, godaddy is clearly in the domain field, which makes this domain a clear violation of the trademark, if your domain would be something like godaddycars it would be a different story, but if they file a complaint through ICAAN which costs them $1500 you can be sure you are gonna lose the domain and are not gonna get any money..
 
domainah said:
I am afriad thats not true, if you have a trademark, like godaddy has, it applies in the field that your business is in, godaddy is clearly in the domain field, which makes this domain a clear violation of the trademark, if your domain would be something like godaddycars it would be a different story, but if they file a complaint through ICAAN which costs them $1500 you can be sure you are gonna lose the domain and are not gonna get any money..

Hmm,
Let me see.
That means that Walmart and Kmart are in violation of each others trademarks.

And I guess nobody can start a business selling domains if the name is:
GoMommy.Com or Gomom.Com or NameDad.com or NameDaddy.com or DaddylovesNames.Com or MommysDomains.Com or DomainsbyDaddy.Com, or Daddylovesdomains.com or Pappidomains.com or GoPappydomains.com, or GoDomainsDaddy.com, or Gomamma.Com or ...


:brick:
 
dotfrog said:
Hmm,
Let me see.
That means that Walmart and Kmart are in violation of each others trademarks.

And I guess nobody can start a business selling domains if the name is:
GoMommy.Com or Gomom.Com or NameDad.com or NameDaddy.com or DaddylovesNames.Com or MommysDomains.Com or DomainsbyDaddy.Com, or Daddylovesdomains.com or Pappidomains.com or GoPappydomains.com, or GoDomainsDaddy.com, or Gomamma.Com or ...


:brick:

godaddy said some time ago:

Our company has a trademark on daddy for use with domain names, hosting, etc.


So you can`t use the word daddy and offer domain, hosting and so on...
 
Yeah, this really sucks but it's the fact of our current state of affairs. More people should be upset about the rise of trademark feudalism. But it doesn't just happen online. No restaurant or food producer can use the Scottish/Irish prefix "Mc". No coffeshop can use the word "buck" at the end of their name. We have become slaves to the court system who seem intent on granting multinational corporations their every wish.

UPS has trademarked the color brown.
 
domainah said:
I am afriad thats not true, if you have a trademark, like godaddy has, it applies in the field that your business is in, godaddy is clearly in the domain field, which makes this domain a clear violation of the trademark, if your domain would be something like godaddycars it would be a different story, but if they file a complaint through ICAAN which costs them $1500 you can be sure you are gonna lose the domain and are not gonna get any money..

Now I am afraid, THAT's not true.
 
**** Godaddy. They don't have exclusive rights to the word domains or daddy.
 
Trust me, this is most likely a trademark violation (or could be argued and won, so). I'd like for you doubters to post some cases demonstrating your position. In fact, the ONLY cases that are winning are when the domain is only incidentally similar and is in an entirely different business prior to the current mark. Clearly "domainsdaddy" doesn't put this one in a different business category from a registrar. And we don't know if it was in use for domain-related business before GoDaddy registered its mark.

If you'd want to keep it, you'd better quickly put political and satirical work on the site making clear you are ATTACKING and SATIRIZING GoDaddy in your capacity as citizen exercising your right to free speech. Cause any commercial use is more than likely going to get shot down.

Unless of course you have a huge warchest or many relatives in the legal business with plenty of free time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom