Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Donuts Registry Screws up and makes Page Howe and others Eat it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous bull shit and donuts (http://www.donuts.co/)

The new gTLD domain names that have the word Eco on the left of the dot were in the process of being taken back by the Donuts Registry.

These names were registered and given to the registrants legitimately!!!

"The issue is the domains should not have been issued in the first place by Donuts, as Eco is on the ICANN restricted and reserved list of protected organizations and NGO’s which you can find here:
http://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/reserved-names/ReservedNames.xml"

This was a Donuts mistake and they MUST make restitution on all names taken away to the registrants!

Information from below:
http://www.thedomains.com/2014/03/1...ack-on-icanns-restricted-list/comment-page-1/

Statement from Donuts
We understand the confusion regarding certain “eco” second level registrations. Donuts inadvertently made this string available for registration due to a registry error and is sorry for the inconvenience.

We WISH we could sell the name, and frustrating as it may be, the string is on ICANN’s restricted list (and Donuts is managing more than 600,000 names under restriction for various reasons, not including NXD names, which could total more than 1 million), so we were obligated to take this step in order for Donuts, registrars and registrants to be in compliance with ICANN requirements.

Do the right thing and stop screwing the people that are putting you on the map!

More Articles:

1. Domain Picks

http://www.domainpicks.com/20212/domain-picks-dropping-on-mar-13th-2014/

2. Domain Incyte

http://domainincite.com/16021-donuts-eco-debacle-affected-two-character-domains-too

4. Domain Investing

http://www.domaininvesting.com/issue-claw-back-domain-names-scary/

Adam Dicker

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the screw, had a jimmy-hat on it from the beginning

as the same keywords are reserved for almost every .gtld of value, or priced at premium

events are ironic though, to get .screwed by some of the same folks who "influence the industry".

guess you really can lead a domainer to .anything and make him .register it

wait, let me check my cart....

:)

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is crazy !! Donuts is wrong and is high jacking domains!!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Who says they can take back domains? The registrar.
Who says they can't take back domains? No one.

Complain all you want but ICANN is turning a blind eye to those that ponied up 180K to become a registrar.

It's all about the money.

Nothing else matters.

This is a miniscule glimpse of how all these new registries can create their own rules. You are powerless and will remain powerless.

It's going to get ugly(ier) out there so get ready.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Big ##%%@% racket to begin with!

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they also took back several 2 character "00" domains.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't see the Forest for the trees..... You can't see the racket, for the racket...

Hmmm...
Keep Calm and Keep Buying On.

:yo:

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Darwin's law in action: domains that are unfit do not survive long.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The first item is no surprise at all. ICANN revealed that no new name can contain part of (another) new name.

So, if that is true - even though it may not make any sense, you should not be able to reg clothing.eco, clothing.photography, and so on. I have not tried regging those but in a sense I saw that coming based on some of my searches and (automated) responses letting me know that I could not reg such names (i.e., I could not reg anything that had nyc left of the dot)

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actually thats not true, they stopped short of not allowing any new tlds on the left of the dot......... probably becuase it would have taken a bunch of dough from the registry's for premium names.

eco was on the same list as olympics, red cross wipo etc.

my problem is when they realized they made a mistake they took the name as judge jury and executioner, i say the registrant has rights...and if that means donuts is in a tough place, becuase of their error, so be in....then fix it.

by pulling the name you push the pain tot the registrar, reseller and registrant, and then say- after they pulled the name, it was just a mistake. theres nothing you can do about it.

its like telling me i shouldnt like my puppy, because its dead. no i liked it and i want the registry to feel and know that when i register a name i expect that registration to be valid.

and i expect some process, or ramiifications when you make an error, hecks thats what errors and ommissions insurance is for

what if this were 6 months form now, what if it was your name? what if you had sold it already and warranteed anything to the buyer that you had clear title, thats the "third rail" they have introduced, that you cant trust a registration ever under the new and untested gtlds or the new RIA. If they screw up, you pay and thats not right.

page howe
ex owner of eco.directory

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That's what happens when you do business with an entity called Donuts.co. Never known a person yet who dabbled in .co, .mobi, or any other garbage who didn't deserve to lose money. I once had shares in a publicly traded company that I knew was garbage. I didn't respect the CEO, and thought there was a good chance I could be on the wrong side of a major decision. Still, I put the money in there with the hopes that I could sell the garbage shares to someone else at a higher price..... and I got the garbage result I deserved. At the time I blamed the CEO, blamed the markets, and everyone else.

At the end of the day when you try to get something for nothing, and get involved in loser extensions, you deserve to take a total loss. The reason for this is because your mindset is that of trying to get over on people. You buy garbage with the hopes of selling the garbage to someone else at a higher price. So, you aren't doing the world any favors when you try to sell rotten product to those with less knowledge, all because you want to pay your bills without doing any real work or offering anything of value to the world.

Two weeks ago all of those fools who had their money at Mt. Gox, one of the leading bitcoin exchanges, realized that they are looking at total losses. They desreve to lose it all, and then some. How come you never hear any stories about people losing money by doing business, or investing with Warren Buffett? It has been over 60 years, and nobody is crying about losing money with him. Lots of people crying about losing money with scumbag CEOs and loser companies though.

There are very few unjust results in the modern western world. Aside from natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes, 99 percent of bad things that happen to people are fairly predictable, and most business losses are deserved.

Last edited:

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The first item is no surprise at all. ICANN revealed that no new name can contain part of (another) new name.
Seems that it is more like the exact TLD string rather than domains containing part of another TLD. That means that clothing.eco is not allowed (reserved by registry rules) but something like winterclothing.eco is allowed. It also seems to apply to ccTLD strings.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
eco was on the same list as olympics, red cross wipo etc.
It might also have been affected by being a TLD string for another new gTLD. So even if it wasn't on that reserved list, it would have been on another.

my problem is when they realized they made a mistake they took the name as judge jury and executioner, i say the registrant has rights...and if that means donuts is in a tough place, becuase of their error, so be in....then fix it.
It gets back to the ICANN situation. It might be better to get a legal opinion on this because there are so many parties in the chain (registrant - registrar - registry - ICANN). Donuts is in a tricky situation but they may have had no other option than to pull the registration.

its like telling me i shouldnt like my puppy, because its dead. no i liked it and i want the registry to feel and know that when i register a name i expect that registration to be valid.
It is more like your puppy never existed.

What is surprising is that there are not more of these kinds of errors given the numbers of new gTLDs being rolled out. It does look bad for the new gTLDs and for Donuts but the registrant agreements might actually cover this kind of problem.

Regards...jmcc

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes! The biggining of confusion, I forsee many more of this coming.
Adam I congratulate you for this new development and happy Easter festival.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i see conspiracy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators