Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Dotster holding domains hostage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get 3 domains out of there (2 .infos and 1 .org). I have tried using their automated ‘request auth code’ system on multiple occasions but the emails containing the auth codes are never sent (I even tried using two different email addresses as admin contact to rule out the possibility of problems my end).

I have contacted support on four occasions; on the first occasion I received a reply saying that they wound resend the information, they never did. To the other three support requests I have received no reply whatsoever.

Is it just me or are others having / had similar problems?

Thanks
- Rob

EDIT: Could someone with a domain or domains at Dotster request the auth code information via their automated system and let me know if you get it or not – thanks :)

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is your WHOIS correct, in Dotster's WHOIS and www.pir.org and www.whois.info (i.e. maybe they're sending it to an email that isn't correct somewhere?)??

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don't have spam filters blocking things, that's not good! I've found the Dotster folks very professional -- maybe try giving them a telephone call, so that you can escalate things beyond front-level support?

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GeorgeK said:
Assuming you don't have spam filters blocking things, that's not good! I've found the Dotster folks very professional -- maybe try giving them a telephone call, so that you can escalate things beyond front-level support?

It is not a spam filter problem…

1. I have tried using two separate email addresses as admin contact, each email address/account operated by a different service.
2. Their promotional crap seems to get through just fine.

- Rob

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently transfered some orgs and infos away with no problem. Hope you resolve the problem soon.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Leading Names said:
2. Their promotional crap seems to get through just fine.

- Rob

lol Yeah, I must get promotional stuff from 15 different registrars now -- that's a great way to know if your email account is working or not. :)

ParkQuick.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had similar but slightly different problems with them. I repeatedly unlocked a domain but the transfer was refused because it still appeared to be locked. I also got an email offering me $6.25 domains and $6.00 transfers if I stayed with Dotster - but I passed.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No problems moving them out.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You will be pleased to know I’ve had contact from support, 4 days, 4 emails, 1 Thread and shed load of stress later.

I asked them to send the auth codes to the admin contact on record.

This is the reply I got…

“We cannot send the emails to any other address other than the domain
owner's email address. Please log into your account and update all of
your domains' contact information and then re-request the auth code.”

To be honest I wouldn’t care where they sent the auth information as all email addresses / accounts associated with my Whois info belong to me.

Besides, this is the first registrar I have ever come across that refuses to send auth code information to the admin contact.

LOL, what a SHODDY outfit.

Anyway, contacts have been updated – let’s see what happens :)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I requested and received an auth code from them yesterday.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, Thanks Dale :)

UDATE: I received the auth codes today (better late than never).

Personally I found their email support to be slow and unhelpful (if you got an answer at all). It shouldn’t take several emails, a lot of stress and nearly a week to be sent auth code information – to me that is unacceptable and as a result I will never use Dotster again.

- Rob

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rob, since I need to move many from there, could you tell me If you actually send their support an email about the auth codes right away, or used some automated system (and if so, where is it)?

Thanks

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seeker said:
Rob, since I need to move many from there, could you tell me If you actually send their support an email about the auth codes right away, or used some automated system (and if so, where is it)?

Thanks

Sure

Login to your account >> click on a name >> select ‘Request Transfer Authorization Code’ from the bottom of the menu.

Hope this helps

- Rob

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks Rob.
I misworded the question.
I need to move like over 100 names, I am wondering if there is a mass request of auth codes, or maybe in such situations its better to send an email with all the domains?
Thanks again.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they have a bulk edit feature or not, I have only ever had a few names there so have just edited them one by one.

Maybe best to drop them a note, hope you get a quicker reply than me :)

- Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators