Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Dump Dying Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well,
don't wanna sound negative,but whats the point with this idea?
The problem is, if it's about names someone is willing to drop anyway, chances are high these names are not even worth the reg fee.
And even if someone would be interested in a particular name,what keeps this person from just waiting til it drops to pick it up themselves?
As far as "25% is rather a large amount especially for valuable names that may grab large prices" goes - who would let expire valuable names on purpose?
Nice idea, but wishful thinking i say.
We already have something like that that's more realistsic:
The "available names" threads.

DNbuy

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Please let me attempt to address the previous questions.
A person bids on the domain and does not pay after the close of the auction.
All buyers will have to prepay or have a balance in their account to make a purchase.
If the domain expires too close to the end of the auction there will be no time to renew the domain or complete the transaction especially in a transfer senario. What if it's with Verisign??
Transfer will take place at the time of listing, not after a sale is made.
25% is rather a large amount especially for valuable names that may grab large prices. I would have a structure set up like that it's 25% for names less than $50. 10% for names $50-100 and so on.
25% was an example and the actual pricing and metrics must still be worked out.
It seems to me that if the person does not want to renew the domain then it's not worth keeping in the first place.
Some peoples garbage is anothers treasure. Besides we do not know what circumstance a particular domain owner may find themselves in at the time of renewal.

who would let expire valuable names on purpose?
I don't believe anyone has a corner on the market of which names are good and which are not. I am sure Dnbuy.com is a useless name to most of the population but I happen to be particularly fond of it;)

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a domain name is only as good as the key words contained in it, easy to type in, easy to remember and most importantly having a great site!! This is something that will not happen overnight.

DNbuy

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I must submit my humblest of apologies to all of you. I misunderstood a fundamental aspect of this proposal. I believed there was an exception to the rule that one must pay for an additional year when transferring a domain name from one registrar to another (which there is but it only applies in case of registrar insolvency).

It was kindly pointed out to me that ICANN requires an additional years registration when a domain name is transferred from registrar to registrar. This was confirmed by a contact that I have with the registrar that this concept was proposed to. There is still a way to make this happen but I fear there are few that have the tenacity and drive to make it a reality. I must say I still believe in the general principle of an equitable marketplace where domain names are sold for what they are truly worth. Unfortunately without some very highly motivated players, this is unlikely to happen anytime soon without some fundamental changes in attitude and/or policy.

Thank you all for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom