Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

eBay Germany victim of cybersquatter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

cogeek

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*das ist deutch!

good story but it is in german lanuage so not many members from here can read(i can, know german)!

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You see the German title "ebay.de geklaut" written bold. Under this article you find the English one called "ebay.de snapped!". Its title is written italic.

cogeek

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Under this article you find the English one called "ebay.de snapped!". Its title is written italic.
seeing it now,
thanks

ultra1

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmm... why would you call this snaped? Seems to have nothing to do with snapnames or drop catching.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, you are right. "Stolen" would be the right word to use. Sorry for that.

i wonder how much money they gave him to get it back
I don't think they gave him money to get the domain back. The DENIC (that's the organisation responsible for .de domains) corrected the domain transfer and it was the DENIC who gave the domain back to eBay.

M

mole

haha, I can imagine the auction at ebay.com --- Achtung! Bid for ebay.de !!

insanity

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mole said:
haha, I can imagine the auction at ebay.com --- Achtung! Bid for ebay.de !!
lol yeh that would be quite amusing :p

JayK

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm loving this. ebay would be a little embarrassed I suspect. How many people will now have tried the same on some of their other country sites?

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
xexe..... I don't know how .de registry works but I am sure its a big registry and there is an automatically procedure so the story can be true. Remember the passport.net downtime form Microsoft? they forgot to renew it :):)

A friend of mine last year told me that ICANN send us a request for the procedure we follow here in Cyprus for the .cy domains. They said it the most secure procedure for domains and there is NO way for insidents like this to take place, so they wanted to try to get some ideas from the cypriot procedure. But I don't know how ICANN can follow this cause the .cy registry is wayyyy to small so every change is done with signed papers, logo company, companies registration certicate etc. Imagine ICANN to try to insert such rules from the .com domain ? They will collaps the whole domain industry, still I don't know why they requested for the details of the procedure.
I tried once to register google.com.cy, and they said even if I register a company named Google.com.cy in Cyprus they will NOT give me the this domain !

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
eBay domain hijacker:
The hijacker is a 19 year-old student from Helmstedt, Germany. The boy says he didn't intend to do any harm and that it was 'just for fun' and he didn't believe the ploy was possible. Now it might be possible, that he must pay the damages caused by his "non-sense-action". Much money for a student I think :dead:

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dodo1 said:
eBay domain hijacker:
The hijacker is a 19 year-old student from Helmstedt, Germany. The boy says he didn't intend to do any harm and that it was 'just for fun' and he didn't believe the ploy was possible. Now it might be possible, that he must pay the damages caused by his "non-sense-action". Much money for a student I think :dead:
Teach these kids a lesson and sue his parents! :-D

FYI, the above is NOT meant in a serious manner.

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
great article. its nice to know that even the cyber fat cats can be so ... vunerable.

the financial implications of this transfer is unimaginable... there are atleast 1000 transactions per minute on eBay (and thats just the UK eBay, ive seen the US eBay and im surprised that you could hold a top spot for 5 minutes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Days till Domain Summit

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom