Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Ebay Platinum Membership Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to run something by you and get some feedback.

I need to make sure DNForum remains a thriving site for domain name resellers. Continuing membership growth is key. GeorgeK came up with an excellent idea to attract new members.
Have a 10 day Ebay auction for a Platinum membership with a starting bid of 1 cent.

The reason I'm asking for your feedback is because you guys already paid your membership fee and I don't want to piss you guys off. You guys are special. Please give me your thoughts.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After eBay (for now), DNForum is probably the leading place to sell names, so that's why I thought an "advertising" auction might be useful, to try to grab some of their members who weren't aware of DNForum yet.

Plus, the cheapskates couldn't complain about the $50 fee -- they can bid a penny! :)

One disadvantage, though, is that someone about to buy a Platinum membership might instead wait 10 days, to see if he/she can get it cheaper in the auction. Perhaps it's best to wait a week or two, when Platinum membership growth plateaus, before trying this experiment? That way, it doesn't cannibalize sales.

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you could also run something similar to an affiliate program - for example - for every 3 people you refer to dnf and becomes a member you get one membership free - which they can use or sell or whatever....though this could be complicated

im glad your doing this gregr - i think its wise - ive noticed a drop on online activity since this was introduced but it was bound to happen - the growth of the forum will be more steady now because of the membership basis but quality is better than quantity so overall the forum will remain strong

i think the free passes thing will boost numbers also - im planning on offering them as prizes on my site:D

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea. I have used Ebay listings to publicize basic businesses and it is the cheapest advertising you can buy. I don't care what it ends up selling for - promotion of the site benefits everyone.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
I don't care what it ends up selling for - promotion of the site benefits everyone.

I estimate it will sell for $45-$48 because all the existing members will know about the auction. So the cost for promotion would be $2-$5 plus the auction fee.

We will all benefit from more members.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
doesn't bother me, but thanks for asking

UKPro

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greg, I believe that it would be a positive way to generate further interest in DnForum and thus benefit us all.
The more people that visit and join DN as a result, the more buying and selling opportunities for all of us.

I would agree that any promotion is beneficial and believe that perhaps you should also consider auctioning one of each of the other memberships as well since this will create interest at all levels.

I hope that you also get a few bids since this will help to create further interest. As you know, people tend to look closer at auctions that have actually been bid on.

Please let me know the link or links when you have them.

Best Wishes - Mark

edisaacson

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Greg,

I agree with the Ebay auction as long as it is not overdone. Once, at the most twice would be sufficient. Some of the auction loser's will probably decide to give in and buy a membership anyway.

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Give it a go! Thumbs up.

UKPro

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Damn! And there was I thinking it all made sense.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
With timechange behaving and the trouble makers tossed I thought a little dissension would be good for this part of the forum :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't mind Larry. He's on a tear today. He's even trying to start a political riot in the lounge!

Huh Larry? :D

Hmmmm....... R I O T . U S

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hehe..that was a good one.

i saw you holding back so thought i'd kick the tires and light some fires.

i dont miss the antagonistic people who recently left here (in fact i can think of a few more that need a boot) but nuthin wrong with a little spirited debate

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Larry
i saw you holding back so....

You are soooooooo right!

I have to bite my tongue every time I go in that thread. One of these days........ :eek:

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That thread became a convenient platform for immature morons and anti-American scum.
Seems to me that closing the thread is justified by its highly inflammatory nature.
Protecting the forum from potentially destructive "flames" is paramount, isn't it?;)

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr

Have a 10 day Ebay auction for a Platinum membership with a starting bid of 1 cent.

Fraid I don't think it's a good move. You've just introduced a new product, platinum membership - it sounds exclusive - thus it should be marketed as an exclusive product. Sticking one or two on ebay is good publicity in two or three months time maybe - but it needs time to mature and develop first.
If you do it now you run the risk of people thinking "can't really be worth 50 bucks if he's trying to get rid of them on Ebay". Do you see what I mean? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com