Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Error: Unable to create a web for the URL "/" because its root directory,etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Error: Unable to create a web for the URL "/" because its root directory, "/home/domain/public_html/", falls below the root of another web in the directory "/home/domain".

USING FP2003
USING cpanel and WHManager

The other day I created a new page and went to upload/publish from FP like I always do. But I got the never ending hour glass. Couldnt figure out what the problem was and as I have done on anothe roccaision ..assumed that my FP extensions got corrupted.. So I went into WHM and unistalled FP extensions with the idea of reinstalling them..

Went to reinstall using WHM but instead get the directory error issue.. not sure how to fix it.

I was thinking of trying to delete all the files on the server .. then try and reinstall FP extensions..

Can some one direct me to the correct path to fix this ...

400 F$
Thanks

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will look at it, but I don't use frontpage to make sites so I am not sure. I will check around.

I looked at my postinfo.html and found the following lines.

version="0.100"
BaseUrl="http://www.MYDOMAIN.com"
XferType="FrontPage"
DefaultPage="index.html"
FPShtmlScriptUrl="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc"
FPAuthorScriptUrl="_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.exe"
FPAdminScriptUrl="_vti_bin/_vti_adm/admin.exe"

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok , Hows this line of thought..Keep in mind I understand only the basics of file structer. I have no idea really what a FP extension even is.. other than a piece of code that allows FP to publish a Microsft FP website to a non MS server.

I have no idea even where it is suppose to install these FP extensions.. but from reading the erro it wants toinstall them here "/home/domain/public_html/" is that correct ?

and it cant because it is seeing /home/domain which is under which dierectory www .?

So if thats the case cant I just delete www (which is really just the sub domain)..then I should be able to reinstall FP extensions..

then afte rthat I can add www and also re publish tothat ..

Does that seem reasonable.? Am I on the right track ?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bidawinner said:
Ok , Hows this line of thought..Keep in mind I understand only the basics of file structer. I have no idea really what a FP extension even is.. other than a piece of code that allows FP to publish a Microsft FP website to a non MS server.

I have no idea even where it is suppose to install these FP extensions.. but from reading the erro it wants toinstall them here "/home/domain/public_html/" is that correct ?

and it cant because it is seeing /home/domain which is under which dierectory www .?

So if thats the case cant I just delete www (which is really just the sub domain)..then I should be able to reinstall FP extensions..

then afte rthat I can add www and also re publish tothat ..

Does that seem reasonable.? Am I on the right track ?

"/home/domain/public_html"
That is correct this is where it goes.

As far as the www directory that is the same as the public_html directory as far as files inside so I wouldn't delete the www directory.

bidawinner said:
and it cant because it is seeing /home/domain which is under which dierectory www

www is under /home/domain/

legal

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
/home/domain

what is the domain?

/home is where your domains are stored, they are usually your user name

say you had whatever.com

your home directory would be

/home/(your user name for the whatever.com account/public_html

are you sure you are in your correct directory?

let's say whatever was the user name (usually limited to 8 characters in unix/linux/etc systems

you need to put your info into

/home/whatever/public_html

You also need to check permissions on that directory to make sure it is owned by whatever the user

Anyway, it sounds like you don't have the proper directory unless your user name is domain

If domain is your user name then do a ls -al command in the /home/domain directory

That will show you permissions

If domain doesn't own it, then permissions are your problem and you need to redo chmod with -R command to reset the permissions of all the files in the domain directory

again, domain has to be your user name to do that

the www file should be just a referer to the main domain if you see a www file in the /home/domain directory

normally they are for parked domains, unless you don't have the .httpdconfig file set right where both the domain name and a www.domainname should be in the same record to allow both www and not www calls to work

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hire a server admin :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators