Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Facebook to use Me domains

moneydomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
December 14, 2009 1:43 PM PST
Update 2 p.m. PST: As we should have mentioned before, .gl is the top-level domain for Greenland. Also, Google's launch comes on the heels of Facebook having quietly launched its own URL-shortening service called FB.me. Heading there in your browser simply takes you to Facebook's home page, whereas sharing links through Facebook's mobile site will shorten them for you using a shortened FB.me URL. More on that as soon as Facebook publicly acknowledges its existence.
From http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10415148-248.html

Domain summit 2024

HarveyJ

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Twitter needing a domain shortner made sense.
But FB doesn't unless you're the kind of wanker that updates by SMS instead of logging in on your phone.

This whole shortner craze is getting out of hand... Especially with the people that mix thier's with a crappy service like Linkbucks.

merien

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google also launched Goo.gl

I think it makes sense because nobody wants to brand and linkjuice bit.ly

It is always better to be in control with your own shortening service.

leslieprospers

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you think that they may be interested in buying facesof.me and/or faces.me? I own those domains.

December 14, 2009 1:43 PM PST
Update 2 p.m. PST: As we should have mentioned before, .gl is the top-level domain for Greenland. Also, Google's launch comes on the heels of Facebook having quietly launched its own URL-shortening service called FB.me. Heading there in your browser simply takes you to Facebook's home page, whereas sharing links through Facebook's mobile site will shorten them for you using a shortened FB.me URL. More on that as soon as Facebook publicly acknowledges its existence.
From http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10415148-248.html

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah, I think facebook would rather have their own url shortener than have their users use bit.ly and others.

twitter should come up with their own too.

I'm starting to see companies advertise their facebook and twitter urls on tv - not even their own websites, and i think we'll see more of it.

when facebook starts to publicize their fb.me domain and get people to use it, I think .me will get a boost, facebook is a huge site.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the big deal is with shortening services. Why does it really matter if the name is long or short. Why use a url which is not you own url simply because it's shorter. I could never understand that. Maybe I am missing something.

leslieprospers

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the big deal is with shortening services. Why does it really matter if the name is long or short. Why use a url which is not you own url simply because it's shorter. I could never understand that. Maybe I am missing something.

The point is, that if you are working on a mobile handheld or mobile pda, the assumption is that more than likelly you are "on-the-go". If you're "on-the-go", then you want to type in as less keys as possible to get to the url. Secondly, these mini-pdas have a very small display, so you the user would like to type in less. Less in this case is best.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not totally bought on the short URL craze. Sure, fewer keystrokes on a mobile device is nice to have but bookmarks exist for a reason :)
Plus, promoting alternate URLs could blur your branding and invite more typosquatting operations.

IMO... :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you seen some of the links to articles on news websites? Many are above or close to the 140 character limit on twitter. If you want to post a link to an article you like for your friends to see, you basically have to use a url shortener. I don't know if it matters so much why people do it, just that so many people are doing it. Just the way it is until someone comes up with a better way. If Facebook starts using fb.me, 400 million people will start being exposed to the .me extension, what a boost that would be.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you seen some of the links to articles on news websites? Many are above or close to the 140 character limit on twitter. If you want to post a link to an article you like for your friends to see, you basically have to use a url shortener.

Exactly. Short URLS aren't to "save a few keystrokes", they are so that you can post short links instead of long ones that don't take up your whole post...They do have a purpose.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I am terribly sorry. They would have absolutely zero interest in those names.

Do you think that they may be interested in buying facesof.me and/or faces.me? I own those domains.

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google also launched Goo.gl

I think it makes sense because nobody wants to brand and linkjuice bit.ly

It is always better to be in control with your own shortening service.

they shoul dhave goog.le ;)

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

No, but I think you are a bunghole for bumping a two month old thread with this crap.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

The point is, that if you are working on a mobile handheld or mobile pda, the assumption is that more than likelly you are "on-the-go". If you're "on-the-go", then you want to type in as less keys as possible to get to the url. Secondly, these mini-pdas have a very small display, so you the user would like to type in less. Less in this case is best.

No this not the reason. Nobody types in bit.ly url's, they click on them. The point is to take up less space on your screen. In the case of twitter, you only get 140 characters - you want to use as few of them as possible for your URL. For FB status updates, a bit.ly URL just makes your message much more readable than some huge url like bobsnewssite.com/news/updates/9-10-09/this-article-is-about-something-interesting.aspx

Humble

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Twitter should definitely have a built in shortener.

Twitter needing a domain shortner made sense.
But FB doesn't unless you're the kind of wanker that updates by SMS instead of logging in on your phone.

This whole shortner craze is getting out of hand... Especially with the people that mix thier's with a crappy service like Linkbucks.

leslieprospers

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry I know this is "five years later", but I just got back into domaining. Yes, faces.me, I sold it on Sedo for a couple of thousand bucks. Yes, I had to get back into domaining again. Miss the money!!

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This will slowly kill bit.ly service.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators