Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Figuring Out Where to Park & List...

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a number of years, I'd always parked domains at either Sedo or Afternic. Way back when, I even experimented with my own pages.

I came back into domaining a few months ago. I noticed that there are plenty of new players. To further complicate matters, I just had a sale at Sedo, which marks the first ever from one of those sites. I made my way through parts of high school and college by selling at forums like DNF, mostly in the reseller market.

I'm looking at Undeveloped.com, Sedo, Uniregistry, and Afternic. I started out back at Afternic, but the time responses take can be frustrating. I mentioned the Sedo sale, which makes me even more hesitant to abandon them since I moved over roughly 1.5 months ago. The Escrow process seems quite smooth, and the domain was sold outright. It was all very quick.

With that said, Undeveloped gives me the shiny object syndrome. It's pages look more stylish and I've seen some positive reviews.

In your experience, which location works best for selling domains? I hardly expect to place my domains and the right site to see all of them suddenly sold, but who gives the best exposure? Sales is always a number game, and I'd like the numbers where the domains are listed to be as high as possible.

Domain summit 2024
Reaction score
I recently launched dnmanager. Customised parked pages, buy it now (paypal), security, monitoring etc. However these are landing and parking services - it is not brokerage. Nobody will actively sell your domains.

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, I wanted to clarify that I expect no one outside of a broker to actively market a domain for me. I just know that with Sedo, Afternic, etc. you gain access to their networks and a larger amount of exposure that being an active hub brings. There are definitely domains where specialized landing pages and the like would better serve them and their owners.

I've been doing this on-and-off for a few years, but absolutely remain either an advanced novice or low level intermediate. :cool:

I'm okay giving up ~10% commission to gain an additional level of exposure.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

seems like you have two part question or it has two meanings:
in that " where to park" is more about PPC revenue, while "where to list", is more about exposure on a platform/network.

some, like sedo, afternic/gd and unireg, offer both, while others like parkingcrew, voodoo, bodis focus mainly on PPC, though they have "domain for sale" banner/link options for visitors to contact you.

I think having domain names that a buyer will eventually want, is key to getting sales, more so than "where" it's listed for sale.

imo....

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I am less concerned about parking revenue, so it's less about PPC for me and more about overall exposure. (Sure, I'm probably throwing away some money there because I have domains with decent traffic, but it's a time issue for me.) Right now, I am not trafficking in premium .coms, my budget is limited to other domains that aren't going to always be tier 1 stuff. I'm perfectly content for sales in the $xxx range of domains that might be worth a low $xxxx amount on paper. I'm also happy to traffic in the reseller market, because every dollar I make cuts my debt and I just enjoy doing it.

As an example, I just finished selling a .cc on Sedo. The buyer took it at BIN price for $499. Personally, the sale surprised me. It's not one of my better names. I think I priced it right and have no regrets, but I have a dozen+ other names I think would sell sooner. Obviously a lot of that can be chucked up to me not knowing how to value domains perfectly, so I always have room to learn. However, that domain likely got exposure either from a lucky direct hit or someone got on Sedo and saw it while searching for a need.

So to a certain extent, it's a crapshoot of a person wanting the right domain at the right time. I get that. With that said, a lot of these places will activate extra "perks" if you park with them. These perks can often expose you to more people, and the bottom line of sales is that the person who doesn't see whatever it is you're selling won't buy it.

One of the things I *think* I've learned about domaining is often it can be a moment of passion to make a purchase. It's where you fall in love with that thing and make an impulse purchase. Your portfolio, for example, is above that. It's 3L .coms and .orgs that people will likely make a purchase of after much deliberation. I don't have that working for me. I'm operating, to a large degree, of that space where it's a quick buy for a project or maybe they feel they can flip for higher.

I'm looking for the best chance to maximize that. Sedo and Afternic seem to be the established giants, with Undeveloped being the cool startup. They each have built websites with various methods and tools to increase exposure, so that's where my question comes.

Apologize if I am as clear as mud, but this hopefully helps clarify my query.

veejay006

Reaction score
To be honest, I am less concerned about parking revenue, so it's less about PPC for me and more about overall exposure. (Sure, I'm probably throwing away some money there because I have domains with decent traffic, but it's a time issue for me.) Right now, I am not trafficking in premium .coms, my budget is limited to other domains that aren't going to always be tier 1 stuff. I'm perfectly content for sales in the $xxx range of domains that might be worth a low $xxxx amount on paper. I'm also happy to traffic in the reseller market, because every dollar I make cuts my debt and I just enjoy doing it.

As an example, I just finished selling a .cc on Sedo. The buyer took it at BIN price for $499. Personally, the sale surprised me. It's not one of my better names. I think I priced it right and have no regrets, but I have a dozen+ other names I think would sell sooner. Obviously a lot of that can be chucked up to me not knowing how to value domains perfectly, so I always have room to learn. However, that domain likely got exposure either from a lucky direct hit or someone got on Sedo and saw it while searching for a need.

So to a certain extent, it's a crapshoot of a person wanting the right domain at the right time. I get that. With that said, a lot of these places will activate extra "perks" if you park with them. These perks can often expose you to more people, and the bottom line of sales is that the person who doesn't see whatever it is you're selling won't buy it.

One of the things I *think* I've learned about domaining is often it can be a moment of passion to make a purchase. It's where you fall in love with that thing and make an impulse purchase. Your portfolio, for example, is above that. It's 3L .coms and .orgs that people will likely make a purchase of after much deliberation. I don't have that working for me. I'm operating, to a large degree, of that space where it's a quick buy for a project or maybe they feel they can flip for higher.

I'm looking for the best chance to maximize that. Sedo and Afternic seem to be the established giants, with Undeveloped being the cool startup. They each have built websites with various methods and tools to increase exposure, so that's where my question comes.

Apologize if I am as clear as mud, but this hopefully helps clarify my query.

Hi DMaN,
I am right now in the same position you were in. Which marketplace did you have the most success with since you wrote this post? Sedo or Afternic? Thanks.

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had the most success at Sedo. With that said, it's very qualified by the fact that I am just 3-4 months back into the game. I have a small portfolio of ~90 domains right now and I've sold one via that route (Sedo) and two others via here and another forum. I don't pretend to own a portfolio of all premium names, most are priced $xxx-$xxxx.

I did switch to Undeveloped and would consider switching back. I think their landing pages are better in terms of being to the point, particularly if you're doing outbound marketing of your domains. In my case, I am experimenting and not doing the level of outbound that others are doing. Sedo gives you the advantage of the exposure of their network partners, so I think on their own Sedo will put you in front of more people, which answers my original question. I've never had any luck with Afternic, and I had domains with them back in the old days. I'd go with Undeveloped over Afternic.

What I will remark on is the difference in traffic between Undeveloped and Sedo. Obviously it's related to bots, but it's interesting that some domains register more hits with one site over the other. The patterns actually shifted a bit between Undeveloped and Sedo. I'm not sure which is "right" but I appreciate the Sedo has the offer count as well as traffic count, plus Sedo offers some meager revenue from parking while Undeveloped does not.

Hope that information can help you make a decision. If you are at all interested in talking to Undeveloped, check in with Reza. He is a classy, classy act and very helpful!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators