Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Financial Domains With TM Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worthen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I began investing in domains about the time the .us names became available. I was real green and bought some I would never buy again, knowing what I now know.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Worthen
I began investing in domains about the time the .us names became available. I was real green and bought some I would never buy again, knowing what I now know.

I bought several names for the exact keyword match of sevral high profile companies. I recently gave the largest mutual fund company in the world their name for free. It was either that or else, the name was VanguardMutualFunds.us

I have owned a stock market portal since 99 and I reasoned that I could begin a site much like FidelityMonitor.com (independent advice on Fidelity Funds) and be well within my rights.

My legal counsel thought otherwise.

Though vanguard mutual funds is the most searched for term for mutual funds other than "mutual funds". I certainly know now I shouldn't have bought it. While I perhaps could have made a case for a name like VanguardMonitor, Vanguards position is that I couldn't own a name containing Vanguard. They may have been a little over-zealous on that. There is VanguardAirlines.com, but it does distinguish itself in another industry, maybe they were correct.

Anyway, I'm stuck with a boatload of useless, highly searched exact match domain names. Should I simply let them expire and hope no other company complains or what do your recomend?

If it were me, I would write the companies a pleasant letter stating that you did not realize the branding issues involved and offer to trafer the name to them for free or at your registration cost of $##, whichever they prefer. You have the right to ask for your registration cost, but giving them the choice confirms that you are going above and beyond what you have to do. If they have decency and/or self-respect, they will offer to pay your registration cost. Just my two cents. Some here may recommend tangling in TM stuff and not giving anything away... not my style.

Best wishes.

Worthen

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for your views ... I feel much the same ... I don't want any legal battles

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Worthen
thanks for your views ... I feel much the same ... I don't want any legal battles

besides, with today's market.. they don't have much money left anyway so take pity on them :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom