• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

closed Florida.st - Still Another Thread About a Great Keyword & a Crappy Extension!

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2002
Messages
6,088
Reaction score
62
Since I have a son who graduated from Florida State and a daughter who is thinking about going there, I looked for Florida.st as an email address for them soon after the .st registry opened to everyone. It was gone at the time but I just discovered it became available again so I spent the $41 to take it.

With such a great keyword (Florida is 1.5 million in Overture and one of the world's top tourism destinations) I am now wondering if it would be worth developing it (they could still use the emails) despite the extension? The travel and lodging affiliates are endless and with Florida as a keyword I might be able to get some good SE placement.

To put its popularity into perspective, Florida is taken in every unrestricted extension in the world (that I could find anyhow) with two exceptions - .TV which wants over $17,000 a year (!) and .ag (Antigua) which wants $562 a year.

In any case Florida.st is worth the $40 a year to me for email but do you think it is worth trying to milk this scrawny cow for more? :-)
 
Very nice Duke !

At least a few hundred as is ..
 
Duke said:
In any case Florida.st is worth the $40 a year to me for email but do you think it is worth trying to milk this scrawny cow for more? :-)

Developed it becomes a nice beefy cow with lots more milk for you. Go for it!
 
I hope the .st extension gets better! I still have website.st
 
Actually an awesome fit with .st. May not bring top dollar but definately much more than the reg fee. Only trouble is those darn reg fees make it difficult to hold on to anything for too long.. (unless it's a great name like Florida.st)

Congrats.. I won't speculate as to price as you have a jem and lemmon sandwhich which looks like it's pretty tasty . I think you'd do pretty well price wise with those who have an aquired taste...............
 
Thanks think. I could play up the Florida State angle and have affiliate links to FSU Seminoles merchandise, but I think the tourism & vacation angle would be more lucrative. I only bought it for an email address so anything else is gravy.

I think all of these little known extensions need good development to be worth much. Bidawinner has proven it can be done successfully though. I like to learn by doing so as an experiment I am going to try one with Names.ws (decided to make it an informational domain site rather than a sales site). If the keyword successfully overrides the extension with that project then I will probably go ahead and develop Florida.st too. Should Names.ws flop and I feel the extension is to blame (rather than bad development and promotion), then the site would still already built and could easily be moved to a better known extension, so it's not much of a risk.
 
Duke -

I have Hawaii.st. It averages between 50 and 100 type-ins per month. My guess is many people think .st means state - a major advantage over .ws. In short, it's worth developing. SE placement should be excellent.

Best of luck.
 
Interesting Rocket - thanks for the note.
 
Rocket said:
Duke -

I have Hawaii.st. It averages between 50 and 100 type-ins per month. My guess is many people think .st means state - a major advantage over .ws

With all best intentions, I believe your statement is inaccurate.

My guess is that NOBODY outside of this domain business had EVER heard of .st extension. Especially not young, clueless American college kids whose brains are fried from junk food, laced marijuana and draft beer.

Since your name is parked at Sedo, my second guess is that you're getting 0 type ins, let alone 50-100 type ins. Those impressions that you're actually getting are probably coming in from internal searches within Sedo site, not from actuall browser type-ins. Because, when you type in a word "Hawaii" @ Sedo site search (domains for sale) your domain is listed on very top. So, that's where your impressions are coming from, not from browser type-ins.
 
cappuccino said:
With all best intentions, I believe your statement is inaccurate.

My guess is that NOBODY outside of this domain business had EVER heard of .st extension. Especially not young, clueless American college kids whose brains are fried from junk food, laced marijuana and draft beer.

Since your name is parked at Sedo, my second guess is that you're getting 0 type ins, let alone 50-100 type ins. Those impressions that you're actually getting are probably coming in from internal searches within Sedo site, not from actuall browser type-ins. Because, when you type in a word "Hawaii" @ Sedo site search (domains for sale) your domain is listed on very top. So, that's where your impressions are coming from, not from browser type-ins.

I beg to differ... Sedo does differentiate traffic as being internal via their search page vs external via type-ins or links.
 
Rocket said:
I beg to differ... Sedo differentiates traffic as being internal via their search page vs external via type-ins or links. No links exist for Hawaii.st and all the traffic is classfied as external. I have other names there that generate internal traffic, but this is not one of them. Hence, all the traffic is of the type-in variety.


I beg to differ as well... Sedo DOES NOT differentiate between internal or external traffic. Each viewing of your parked page, whether coming from type-in, or from internal searches/viewing, is counted as one impression.

With all due respect, you better believe that nobody in this world types-in Hawaii dot st or else you have some growing up to do. As I said before, your impressions are coming from internal traffic @ Sedo since your domain is listed first for the search, keyword > Hawaii. Hence, all the traffic is of the internal search variety.
 
cappuccino said:
I beg to differ as well... Sedo DOES NOT differentiate between internal or external traffic. Each viewing of your parked page, whether coming from type-in, or from internal searches/viewing, is counted as one impression.

With all due respect, you better believe that nobody in this world types-in Hawaii dot st or else you have some growing up to do. As I said before, your impressions are coming from internal traffic @ Sedo since your domain is listed first for the search, keyword > Hawaii. Hence, all the traffic is of the internal search variety.

OK... you're the expert. Do you have names parked at SEDO? Do you know how to review your traffic stats? They are Not the same as the ones you view from the parked page.

I love these self proclaimed experts. I think I'll sign-off now and do some growing up. LOL.
 
Rocket said:
OK... you're the expert. Do you have names parked at SEDO? Do you know how to review your traffic stats? They are Not the same as the ones you view from the parked page.

I love these self proclaimed experts. I think I'll sign-off now and do some growing up. LOL.

Maybe that's exactly what you need to do, because there's no need to be an expert to realize that .st extension has no type-in traffic whatsoever. Not even 3 a day. LOL.

Also, no need to really be an expert to know how to properly read your parking stats. When you check your Sedo parking stats you will notice that they use word VIEWS - not visits. And that word is used for a reason > http://www.sedo.com/about/faq.php3?language=us#CD6
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom