Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Forward Domain & Track Traffic ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCplay

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently registered a domain name ($NAME1) that has quite a few links pointing to it, thus I decided to forward it to one of my web sites.

Now, when I look in my referral log I will see a lot of links where $NAME1 is mentioned/linked to on the site. So I am not seeing $NAME1 in my logs, and can not track its traffic.

IE:
$Name1 = name1.com

name1.com forwards to name3.com

name2.com links to name1.com the referral logs for name3.com show name2.com not name1.com

Is there any simple way to have name1.com forward to name3.com and track the traffic also?

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you do not see "name1" (or its variants) in the URL log, this should indicate that you do not have type-in traffic attributed to "name1".

Since you seem to have a clue which linking sites are attibuted to "name1" popularity, your best bet is to estimate traffic directly attributed to "name1" by adding these referrer pages up.

While analyzing your traffic by going to the referrer sites, look for links to "name1" that are no longer in existance (such as "http://www.name1.com/funstuff/funindex.html". Since you have redirected, this traffic would be lost unless you scoop it up it with a custom error page.

I hope this helped a little.

PCplay

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

If you do not see "name1" (or its variants) in the URL log, this should indicate that you do not have type-in traffic attributed to "name1".

I am pretty sure there is little to no type in traffic.

Since you seem to have a clue which linking sites are attibuted to "name1" popularity, your best bet is to estimate traffic directly attributed to "name1" by adding these referrer pages up.

There are a couple hundred sites that link to this name, so I dont really have a clue which sites are attributed to name1 by simply looking at them.

While analyzing your traffic by going to the referrer sites, look for links to "name1" that are no longer in existance (such as "http://www.name1.com/funstuff/funindex.html". Since you have redirected, this traffic would be lost unless you scoop it up it with a custom error page.

I just tried going to name1.com/this/is/a.test and it forwarded to my website fine.

TrafficMonsterRRR

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gotcha!

Make a landing page (a hosted subdomain?) for the elusive "name1" for a week or so and scrutinize traffic for that page only minus the noise ?

P.S. your name1.com/this/is/a.test should give you a 404 error, what type of fwd'ing are you using? I want to use it also! :)

PCplay

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by TrafficMonsterRRR
Gotcha!

Make a landing page (a hosted subdomain?) for the elusive "name1" for a week or so and scrutinize traffic for that page only minus the noise ?

I am going to ask my host if I setup the domain to FWD and a 404 error catcher to forward also, if the webstats would still track the visitors. I think it might... :-/

P.S. your name1.com/this/is/a.test should give you a 404 error, what type of fwd'ing are you using? I want to use it also! :)

NameCheap's (www.namecheap.com) forwarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators