Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

FT.com: Cybersquatters race for returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburk

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The race for the White House may have months to run, but the contest to make money out of the candidates’ names on the internet was settled long ago.

Research by NetNames, a UK-based domain management company, found that almost 2,000 sites using names related to John McCain, the presumptive Republican candidate, and Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, the Democratic rivals, have been registered by people unconnected to their campaigns.

Legislation introduced in the US in 1999 gave companies and individuals rights against cybersquatters who were waiting for a rightful owner to pay them thousands of dollars for a site. Mrs Clinton won the rights to use hillaryclinton.com from a serial Italian cybersquatter in 2005.

But experts say the law is far less helpful in regard to revenue-raising portals that make money from redirecting internet surfers.

Full Article

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I read this in the FT today too. I was wondering if the Italian that owned hillaryclinton.com was italian dragon here.. Probably not though

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The real jackpot will be in guessing the running mates of each. That would be like hitting the Trifecta since most combinations of likely candidates have also been registered.

DomainName

Live, Eat, Breathe Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I owned Pres Barack Obama .com and sold it in the early stages of the pres race. The risk/reward just wasn't there for me. IMO, if these candidates wanted a name then they could easily take it...These names are now considered a "household" name.

Prospecting

Prospecting
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The real jackpot will be in guessing the running mates of each. That would be like hitting the Trifecta since most combinations of likely candidates have also been registered.

very true,, trifecta, top winner

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

eusjmp

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own barackobama.net and obama.net. Getting close to selling.

Candomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hilory.com , PeaceVote.com, FreedomVote.com, EarthVote.com
I have the above for sale or lease. Tried not to buy any with possible identity "claims" to the domains. Any actual name would be lost to the person it identifies; if they want it. The above names are more generic and cover all the candidates. Ok. maybe not the repub's. :) Peacevote, Freedomvote, Earthvote is more of a democrat state of mind. Based on past history the Repub's don't want anything to do with freedom, peace or the earth. Had to get it out. :)
Cheers!!
Candomain

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators