Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

developed Fully Function Text Messaging (SMS) Website / Script!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acroplex, I don't see how that's possible? We're testing it on three different t-mobile phones, not that one but they are all pretty much compliant.

Can you PM me what you are entering in for the number?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
My number. Area code and local number. No dashes or other symbols, just the full 10 digit number.

OK message arrived almost instantly now, but without a "From" field as before. And it still won't send Greek text, they arrive as entities. I know it's not my cell as I do receive SMS in Greek.

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Acro, I believe all the problems arised from changing the charset earlier.

But anyways, you can try again with the greek characters and see if they do infact appear on your phone.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
SMS arrives instantly. However, no "From" is relayed, just a number (509, 510, 511 etc) and Greek is still in entity format.

thejosh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have tmobile US... i received it!

Go easy on David, he has made a nice script, and is still working out some bugs. I am sure it is a pretty complex code... I know I could not do it myself.

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yea it should be working...

We're trying to debug o2/orange, but every other provider is working.

Seems the problem with o2 had nothing to do with the script but rather o2 has canceled M-Mail. If anyone has any information on this, feel free to let me know.

Also added was Vodafone (UK) and Vodafone (Italy) and added new SMS Center for Virgin Mobile (not sure if it will work for us or uk numbers).

Working on testing those out and will release a STABLE version of the script either later tonight or tommorow.

hurdlinmasta

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Verizon arrived, but doesnt say who its from.

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I changed the formating of the message, send yourself another one and see if that looks any better with regards to the From statement.

I received the new SMS tests. It seems though that other char sets are not supported, e.g. Greek? They arrive as entities:

ampersand, quote 964

I have tmobile US... i received it!

Go easy on David, he has made a nice script, and is still working out some bugs. I am sure it is a pretty complex code... I know I could not do it myself.

lol, thank you for the kind words josh... That's one huge benefit to posting on forums like this, they'll let you know of everybug! It's a good thing or else it may have slipped my eye!

But thanks again...

Manolete

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Will you add Spanish providers in the near future? (most populars are Movistar, Vodafone and Orange).

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually yes... They are on our list.

I just added Vodafone (spain) and Movistar, if you could test them and PM me the results that would be great!

David

From 11am-1pm EST Sunday November 12th, coupon code dnforum will give you $20 off of just released version 1.2, which is STABLE, due in part because of the great feedback from this thread...

Price is: $29.99

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Alright, I took the plunge.

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great, if you need help installing it, shoot me an email. I made it as easy as possible with the install script, but make sure you edit config.php first!

Sale extended until tonight simple because I'm not at a computer to change the coupon codes :) I'm typing this on my blackberry.

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll get back to you on that, I'm going to be out of the office all day, will be back tonight.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So far the only issue I'm having is that "nobody" @ the server hostname is being sent, instead of the email address in the config file. If I need to config and recompile PHP please let me know. I am currently testing it on my testbed server but will try (for testing purposes) on another server on shared hosting.

Update: tested on another server with the same result.

The SMS arrives from nobody@hostname
However, the debug email that I get appears exactly as it's set at the config file. Could it be that a different variable is being sent to either sites?

David, please fix this as the SMS that the cellphone user receives needs none of the "cryptic" hostname info.

Also: some web hosts don't support the installation of databases by PHP (this has nothing to do with the existance or not of a shell).

So this line failed in my shared host:

Code:
$install=shell_exec("mysql -u $username -p$password $database < sms_db.sql");

I tried to import the database manually from the shell, but it failed with an ivalid syntax error at:

Code:
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

It only imported after I removed the "DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1" part.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seeing it is a PHP script it will send emails as nobody. Is it supposed to send as the email in the config file?

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on the the PHP on the server itslef and how it's configured. I'll take a look at it with you later tonight.

David

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Seeing it is a PHP script it will send emails as nobody. Is it supposed to send as the email in the config file?

Yes. There is a debug portion in the script that will test-email the SMS to an email address. That comes up as the [email protected] exactly as it's set up in the config file. But the actual SMS arrives from nobody@hostname, which can be your web host when on shared hosting.

However, on swiftblue's demo it comes from [email protected]

David

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We have in our php.ini file to allow for reply-to email to be specified in the script not the ini file.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Could you please be more specific?

It's a linux server, correct?

The only related statement I could find in php.ini is

Code:
[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = [email protected]

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
On a shared server, the end user has no control over the php.ini file. On a dedicated server (my testbed server) the default email sender should not be tied to a single domain, as there are dozens of domains affected.

That still doesn't explain how the email sent via the debug script shows just fine: the sender's email is the one in the config file, not nobody@hostname

Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom