Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

GD backordering simply doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want to grab a domain that's about to drop (it's in "pending delete"). It's not worth much to me, and I doubt anyone would pay $69 to one of the big drop catchers for it ... but I didn't want to let it slip to a hand-reg. So I decided to spend $9.99 on a GoDaddy backorder (which I know is weak, but hopefully better than nothing).

Since I was already monitoring this domain at GD, I tried the "Upgrade to Backorder" feature. That showed I had 0 backorder credits, but it didn't take me somewhere I could buy one; it just stopped me from proceeding.

I couldn't find a place to order backorder credits, so I called GD. After about 15 minutes trying to solve the problem, their tech guy somehow put a backorder credit into my cart, and I checked out. (I wanted a public backorder, but he said the only thing he could get me was a private backorder credit.)

Armed with that credit, I again tried to upgrade my monitoring to a backorder. I selected private backorder, but the screen just said I had no public backorder credits, and again I couldn't proceed.

How hard can it be to make basic features like this work? I've gotten frustrated with Moniker lately and was thinking of switching more of my business to GD, but nonsense like this makes me wonder. :no:

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy is only good for names dropping at Go Daddy.

-=DCG=-

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy is only good for names dropping at Go Daddy.

-=DCG=-
Yeah, I wondered about that, but of course I couldn't expect the tech guy to know that either.

I would still like to have this feature work, for the times I might want to catch a GoDaddy drop (and just to show GoDaddy's basic competence).

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have had some luck with GoDaddy backorder but that was for domains that were not in demand. I just didn't want to track it's expiry through pending delete so far in advance so I put in some backorders. On the drops, godaddy (and their affilliate registrars) do pick up quite a few domains though.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Put a backorder on a .biz for today. The backorder didn't get it and someone hand regged the name at none other than...... Godaddy. They use to be pretty good at the other extensions but doesn't appear to be so anymore.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me its convenience. If a domain is not picked up at namejet and so on, then the godaddy backorder registers it for me. It saves me from setting a bunch of calendar reminders and checking.

Maybe godaddy should rename their service "Delayed Registration"

Randomo, where did you see it for $9.99? I think its around $18? And less if you order 20 or more at once. (And monitoring is different than backordering)

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Randomo, where did you see it for $9.99? I think its around $18? And less if you order 20 or more at once. (And monitoring is different than backordering)

Kevin - I didn't "see" backordering for any price; that was the problem. I couldn't find a way to order credits, so I called GD and their rep set up the purchase at the $9.99 price. But after buying it, I still couldn't use it ... so my frustration continues.

(And yeah, I know the difference between monitoring, which I'm using on nearly 100 domains at GD, and backordering, which I'm unable to do for even one freakin' domain!) :veryangry:

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2nd day in a row. Backordered and apparently hand regged by someone else at godaddy.

Looking like no need to waste your time or money.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Isn't it like $21 now?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll email my rep and see what the price is. I don't know why they can't make it like Enom where all your prices are tied into your account instead of manually adjusting the prices on certain items.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JDK, I pay around $13 by ordering them in a lot of 20.

Randomo, I email my rep and he does the buy for me. its really easy. I like to have them there, its quick; but if you have a domain being monitored, then you use Upgrade to Backorder. Doing that will cost you the full price for each one. If you paid $9.99, recently, then its likely you did not buy a backorder; you got something else - not sure what!

I tend now to get .net/.org at Moniker, since they are cheaper than godaddy and I want to reduce my use of Goddaddy; Parsons has greatly disappointed. I intend to cancel my godaddy hosting, that is for sure. However, I like godaddy DTVS and might move a few of the better domains at Moniker over to godaddy.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I backordered a few domains via godaddy but after 2 hours or so, I realised the domains are available for handreg at Moniker and I registered them manually.

Strange !!

Dudster

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
James, you have to put the backorder in before the drop starts or it doesn't process. If the drop is at 11am and you put in your order at 11:02, it wont make an attempt to catch them until the following drop day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom