Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

GEO Domain for sale - SALMONARM.COM, SHUSWAPNEWS.COM + others

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssneumann

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domain Names for sale:

SALMONARM.COM
Top level GEO Domain - asking $45,000 (will consider offers) - visitor guide content rights & website extra - will also consider leasing the domain.
Salmon Arm, a city of 17,464 citizens (60 sq miles), is the economic centre for the Shuswap Region of British Columbia, Canada. The region contains about 50,000+ people located around Lake Shuswap. Tourist destination and boating community.

The current site you see has been inactive for about 18-24 mths as we have not had time to work it. At that time, the domain name was 2nd in Google right behind the city's own website - www .salmonarm. ca. 8,490,000 Google results for "Salmon Arm". AdWords Keyword tool - Global search - 135,000 - Local Search - 110,000 - Google CPC $0.81.
------------------------

SUPPORTING DOMAINS

SHUSWAPNEWS.COM - asking $15,000 for all 3
SHUSWAPNEWS.CA
SHUNEWS.CA

Second level GEO Domain - this site has been aliased to SALMONARM.COM for several years. The Shuswap region's most prominent newspaper, Salmon Arm Observer, puts out a small weekly "paper" newspaper called the Shuswap Market News. SHUSWAPNEWS.COM is already established as a news provider throughout the province and Canada and receives multiple emails each week looking to place classifieds, place ads for govt & business, or entertainers requesting stories or news to be distributed through our channel. SHUNEWS.CA was to be our shortened version to be logo-ified and branded in various places. Currently placed #1 for keyword Shuswap News ahead of both the regions real "paper" papers.
------------------------

TOURISMSHUSWAP.COM - asking $5,000
Second level GEO Domain - this site has also been aliased to SALMONARM.COM for several years and provided us with an option for promoting our visitor guide content and to help generate tourism in the Shuswap Region of British Columbia, Canada.
------------------------

SHUSWAPDINING.COM - asking $2,000
Second level GEO Domain - this site was to become a supporting site to the others by providing a way for us to "pull-out" the restaurant/dining section of the bigger site and market as a separate identity.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

GEO (or other) Domain Name Valuation Process

It was always a question for me as to how domain names could most effectively be valued. I used an express domain valuation service one time for a Geo domain that came back with a value of $50... so it made me wonder just how thorough domain appraisal services really are. So, not wanting to waste any more money on silliness, I eagerly sought after a way to calculate a domain name's worth to reflect numbers that were at least close to what I would expect them to be worth...

So, after much googling, I discovered a website that had a story about this same thing (go figure). So, here's how I was able to estimate what SALMONARM.COM is actually worth using the Google AdWords keyword analyzer as the basis for the calculation.

Total Local Monthly Google Searches for the keyword 'salmon arm' : 110,000

Take 10% of that number: 11,000

Multiply it by the current average Google CPC (cost per click) for the keyword: $0.81

Total: $8910.00

Mulitply it by 3 - 5 to create an approximate range for value: $26,730 - $44,500

When I did this same calculation back in January 2012 the range of value was $34020 - $56,700 so it does fluctuate depending on the time of year. Back in January the total Local Monthly Google Searches were 135,000 and the average CPC was $0.84.

Common Sense Valuation Method

I have a friend who works for Pattison signs, one of North America's top billboard companies. I had a discussion about billboard costs and what Pattison would charge for one year for a nice billboard promoting a Salmon Arm business... The answer was minimum $24,000 - $50,000 per year depending on location!

So, step back for second and ask yourself this question - What residual value will I have at the end of one year from both the billboard and the top level domain name for the city your business was located in?

Billboard promoting Salmon Arm or related regional business = $45,000
Residual value = ZERO!

SALMONARM.COM cost = $45,000
Residual value = $45,000 + appreciation

Things to note about billboards - there's no way to track it's effectiveness - you'll never know how many people visited your business and purchased something. Billboards are great for branding over time - not much else -and in today's economy most businesses are trimming back on their "untrackable" advertising expenses and moving more towards web and social media.

Those are my thoughts on domain name valuation.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI: Google says 'salmon arm' gets an estimated 6,600 exact monthly searches and has an estimated avg. CPC of $0.40

Therefore using your formula @ a multiple of 5 - it would be valuated at: $1320

Broad searches do not produce accurate metrics for appraisal, nor marketing, nor AdWords campaigns.
IMHO: Using Google Keyword tools accurately will allow you to find the most valued domains, and more accurately estimate value.
(Just because people around the World search for 'salmon' does not mean they are looking for 'salmon arm'.)

re: Common Sense - well, as the saying goes... Common sense is not common. :eek:k:

All the best with everything!

ssneumann

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, if you actually read the post and understood the algorithm used wasn't using exact monthly searches, instead using local monthly searches with keywords using "salmon arm" as a complete term along with any other keywords then you would get the numbers that I am referring to... Anyone who knows how to use Google Adwords Keyword Analyzer will know what I am referring to. This has nothing to do with "Salmon".

It would be great if a GEO domain could be worth only $1320 for those of you that are trying to drive down the prices so you can profit using your own methods of sale... Use your head... re-read the post and re-do your research. If you don't understand the region in question then don't respond. I don't care how many posts you've made or who you think you are. You're from Canada, pick a city of 17,500 people... do you know of one who's .com domain name is only worth $1320. Nice try... LOL

PS And good luck with PolarBearRug.com - lol - are you kidding me? I bet you're offering that for more than $1320. Just because I'm on vacation in the Bahamas doesn't mean I'm stupid... I was born and raised in Calgary Alberta Canada and have lived 4 hours from the Shuswap region of BC for the past 13 years...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators