Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Godaddy as Godfather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deist

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Who determines it's spam? Couldn't a website just have enemies because it espouses controversial opinions... perhaps email sent from the domain was faked, or the reports faked.. The policy outlined here involves no investigation or authentication of claims. Scary stuff given the tenuous legal nature of domain names. Enough to warrant steering clear of godaddy?

see below, from godaddy.com (it's been there a while)

A WARNING TO POTENTIAL SPAMMERS
Go Daddy Software, Inc. does not tolerate UBE (Unauthorized Bulk Email) and will not allow our servers or services to be used for such purposes.

If Go Daddy Software, Inc. receives complaints at [email protected] or https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/spamreport/spamreport.asp , Go Daddy Software, Inc. will redirect the site and email boxes associated with the domain name in question for a period of no less than 2 days. The registrant will be required to respond by email to Go Daddy Software, Inc. stating that they will cease to send UBE and/or have UBE sent on their behalf. Go Daddy Software, Inc. will require a $100.00 reactivation fee to be paid before the site or email boxes are reactivated.

In the event that Go Daddy Software, Inc. receives further complaints after the site has been unlocked the first time, Go Daddy Software, Inc. will terminate the hosting and email boxes associated with domain name in question. The domain name in question will also be confiscated by Go Daddy Software, Inc., if Go Daddy Software, Inc. is the registrar.

If the domain name in question does not have a hosting account with Go Daddy Software, Inc., but is registered with Go Daddy Software, Inc. Go Daddy Software, Inc. will redirect the DNS and email boxes associated with the domain name in question for a period of no less than 2 days. The registrant will be required to respond by email to Go Daddy Software, Inc. stating that they will cease to send UBE and/or have UBE sent on their behalf. Go Daddy Software, Inc. will require a $100.00 reactivation fee to be paid before the domains DNS and mail boxes are reactivated.

In the event that Go Daddy Software, Inc. receives further complaints after the domain name has been unlocked the first time, the domain name in question will be canceled by Go Daddy Software, Inc.

WebTeam
Go Daddy Software
14455 North Hayden Road
Suite 219
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
USA
[email protected]
Thank you for your business.
Sincerely, Go Daddy Webmaster

M

mole

Told you never to trust Godaddy. They are racists, having banned countries like Singapore and Hong Kong from transacting with them while others don't. *spit*

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This looks to me as a blatant money grab under the pretext of fighting spam. I can see an ISP banning for spam but a domain registrar? And what if the accusation is frivolous?

My take on GoDaday is that they are desparate for cash. You spend lavishly on marketing and sell domains for under $9 at the same time. Do you know that GoDaddy's max bid on Overture is $4.33 a click for domain registration at $8.95. Something has to give here.

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Who knows, some of GoDaddy's militant style might be attributed to the founder's military background. I recall reading on his website that he was a seal or such. Maybe war buddies are in charge of customer service. :confused:

I must not be that alarmed. I still have more domains registered with GoDaddy than anyone else.

Regarding the impossible financial model, I've always said entrepreneurs are by far the largest charitable group. Every ent. that makes money is providing something worth more than what it costs, and all the others that are not making money are being even more generous! Thank you, free market!

Happy New Year!

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you all have misunderstood that email.

It's related to GoDaddy's hosting services or perhaps, DNS usage. I would not imagine that they'd lock and redirect accounts and domains, from spamming complaints, if no hosting or perhaps DNS was involved (e.g. if someone hosts their domain elsewhere).

deist

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If the domain name in question does not have a hosting account with Go Daddy Software, Inc., but is registered with Go Daddy Software, Inc. Go Daddy Software, Inc. will redirect the DNS and email boxes associated with the domain name in question for a period of no less than 2 days. The registrant will be required to respond by email to Go Daddy Software, Inc. stating that they will cease to send UBE and/or have UBE sent on their behalf. Go Daddy Software, Inc. will require a $100.00 reactivation fee to be paid before the domains DNS and mail boxes are reactivated.

In the event that Go Daddy Software, Inc. receives further complaints after the domain name has been unlocked the first time, the domain name in question will be canceled by Go Daddy Software, Inc.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...."Go Daddy Software, Inc. will require a $100.00 reactivation fee to be paid before the domains DNS and mail boxes are reactivated."

Yikes.

Godadday as godfather is the fitting heading.
Being formerly aka "the domain mafia"....It takes one to know one....

:)

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Bleh...my last 2 dozen names with GoDaddy will be heading to enom upon renewal time.

Marty

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FineE
This looks to me as a blatant money grab under the pretext of fighting spam. I can see an ISP banning for spam but a domain registrar? And what if the accusation is frivolous?

My take on GoDaday is that they are desparate for cash. You spend lavishly on marketing and sell domains for under $9 at the same time. Do you know that GoDaddy's max bid on Overture is $4.33 a click for domain registration at $8.95. Something has to give here.

I doubt that GoDaddy makes any money from their domains or very little. The hosting and tax business probably generates more.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you run a real online business, one that makes money, you should not accept such a policy from your registrar. If you uses a company with a policy like that you are asking for trouble.

d'backs

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually, each and every one of you who think like this:
if you run a real online business, one that makes money, you should not accept such a policy from your registrar. If you uses a company with a policy like that you are asking for trouble.
have no idea what's going on. Having worked for a major registrar I do know. They're (Go Daddy) are bound by an agreement with their backbone provider. If there is a domain name spamming all over the place, the one providing DNS (Go Daddy) are, in fact, responsible and can have great affects, not limited to being cut from their backbone, on their service. Besides, with their low cost they do not want to be known as a spam house-- so they can and may shut someone down that's not using their DNS--what's wrong with that? That's good business and not catering to the scum who spam. I'd bet the majority of you probably do spam, which is the reason for this blast on Go Daddy.

All of your comments are misinformed and irresponsible.

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why because they stand to gain financially from a false "spam" accusation creating an obvious bias. This is nothing more than a Judge that gets paid a bonus for a guilty verdict! And the policy does not even require a guilty verdict. All it requires is more than one accusation!

Most reputable hosting companies have no spam policies. There is nothing wrong with that. The tipical is account cancellation, but they do not try to extract a financial benefit from a false accusation. Furthermore denying hosting services is appropiate but holding the domain hostage as a registrar?

As for the DNS argument. They can say we will not host the DNS for you, but they have no business preventing somebody else from hosting the DNS. Consider that the new DNS host may find the "spam" accusation was unfounded and vindictive and that the spam finding was biased by financial gain on the part of GoDaddy.

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. What if GoPoppa is sent a complaint about spam, which is the result of that F--Cking klez or yaha bitch that is killing email addresses? They appear to select random "from" email addresses. $100 to fix that? Maybe is doesnt happen? I damn near did a bulk transfer of 500 + domains to GoDaddy until my registrar got the message and set my account up to register for $6.70 a piece. 70 cents over retail : ) How lucky I may be. Thats as bad as paypal freezing accounts of legitimate entrepeneurs with thousands of dollars in them because of a couple "fraudsters" using stolen credit cards. Whose fault is that? Too much coffee again.

d'backs

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure each complaint is investigated......., wouldn't ya think:rolleyes:

FineE

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Only more than one complaint.

I base this on the content of the email which says nothing about an investigation. One needs to spend more time reading the legal fine print and less time on the marketing material.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by d'backs
Actually, each and every one of you who think like this: have no idea what's going on. Having worked for a major registrar I do know. They're (Go Daddy) are bound by an agreement with their backbone provider. If there is a domain name spamming all over the place, the one providing DNS (Go Daddy) are, in fact, responsible and can have great affects, not limited to being cut from their backbone, on their service. Besides, with their low cost they do not want to be known as a spam house-- so they can and may shut someone down that's not using their DNS--what's wrong with that? That's good business and not catering to the scum who spam. I'd bet the majority of you probably do spam, which is the reason for this blast on Go Daddy.

All of your comments are misinformed and irresponsible.

One of us is interpreting the policy wrong. I'm not sure if it's you or me.

They seem to be saying that they will redirect your DNS even if it isn't hosted with them. What if you are using MyDomain or your own hosting or DNS? GoDaddy has no business touching your domain or your DNS if you aren't using their resources. Reading the quotes in this thread, it seems like they are saying they will disable your account if they get a few complaints, regardless of whether you're on their hosting/DNS.

That is not standard nor is it acceptable for anyone who runs a real business on the web.

A good hosting company and/or registrar will defend you, their customer, not assume you are guilty and take you down.

If that isn't their policy, then fine, but that's the way it reads on this thread.

You may have worked at a registrar, but I have dealt with many registers and hosts and I can tell you that a policy that doesn't put their customers first is going to cause problems every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators