Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Google Cracking Down on Long Tail Domain Names Affecting Adsense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanhuang

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
All of my two word .COM domain names are fine, but the three word .NET and .ORG domain names seemed to have taken a significant dig on Adsense. Google's search engine bumped my ranking down, and the CPC seemed to have dropped. Anyone else experiencing similar stuff?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google's search engine bumped my ranking down, and the CPC seemed to have dropped. Anyone else experiencing similar stuff?

There seems to be a correlation between rankings and CPC. A lot of people have experienced the same thing. One potential reason for this is that Google feels that the top search results are more trusted and this are more willing to display top paying ads on these sites.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Flippa's long-tail hyphenated jewels just got nullified.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not think there is anyone answer other than the fact that Google owns Google, therefore Google can do anything they please...including making top advertisers bid against google?

Check this out:

Google puts its own ads at the top of the sponsored links section

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Flippa's long-tail hyphenated jewels just got nullified.
It really was shocking to see some of the names selling on that site.

The ultimate scamming platform that appears to be a legitimate venue.

I've looked back at some of the sales and its not surprising to see many of those sellers banned or approval ratings below 50%. And I am sure some of those that had been banned are back on using a different name and IP address. Flippa is a scammers paradise and they (the banned bunch) will do anything to get back on there. I saw one seller's dollar figure in sales match his approval rating - 42%/$42,000.00

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ So the #1 organic result is the bottom result on the page. That's just ridiculous imo. So much for the internet being a level playing field.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^ So the #1 organic result is the bottom result on the page. That's just ridiculous imo. So much for the internet being a level playing field.
If you own the internet...

It is impossible to beat or stay in step with the changes. And now Google is your biggest competitor on Google?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And now Google is your biggest competitor on Google?

Yes, sir. This statement couldn't make their intentions any clearer. "Google is the affiliate" and anyone in their way better watch out.

I think it's about time to send the boys around to make them an offer they can't refuse. They're getting too cocky imo.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Surely they saw the money being paid to travel sites and those affiliates. Now google is in the travel and flight business. I wonder how travelocity, orbitz, and others feel about that.

As the article points out, this could easily lead to a substantial increase in Google adword fees and bidding that advertisers have to pay.

Google essentially wants to be the internet and I am not sure anyone is capable of stopping them.

I recently read an article that for the first time Google Chrome was the the world's most popular browser beating out IE8.

That's pretty staggering leaps in rankings considering the amount of time Google Chrome has been on the market vs. the timeline of IE.

robempire

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So everyone may already know this stuff, but for anyone who doesn't, here's some info:

If my AdWords ad appears on your adsense site, Google tells me so. If I dislike anything about your site (volume, conversion rate, CPA, CPC, etc) I just hit a checkbox and exclude you. I can also move to you "managed placements", which means I can control my bids for your site specifically... otherwise all sites that ad appears on have the same bid. Meaning if you're awesome, and I make you a "managed placement", I can bid higher to get more traffic and thus pay you more. If you suck, I can delete you or make you a "managed placement" and bid you down.

All of those things that might make me want to bid your placement up or down are related to your position/ranking. Your numbers become my numbers, and Google's/AdWords'/Advertisers' opinions of your site are what define the marketplace where your traffic is bought and sold. It's not just some arbitrary algorithm behind the scenes. Competitors for the ad space/real estate matter, seasonality matters, conditions within advertisers' verticals matter, buzz matters, available ad formats and sizes matter, on-site conversion rates matter... I only go into this because if you're building a site that survives on ad revenue, then you have to build something advertisers want and not just worry about some phantom algorithm that every "SEO" on DigitalPunt is arguing about. Make content while they make threads. Falling revenue isn't always Google's fault.

Regarding expansion, yeah Google is expanding into new products and verticals. The in-ad forms they've been testing for the last few years are one of many steps they're taking to muscle lead generation/aggregation companies out of the space. They killed off arbitrage affiliates because if there's money to be made in intermediary arbitrage then obviously they're not charging enough for traffic. And the examples of this just go on and on, including their expansion into my vertical.

FWIW, I'm a 7-fig adwords advertiser so I'm not just talking out my @$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom