Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Why Is Google Ending Adsense for Parked Domains on April 18th 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
<crlf>

Google has announced that they are phasing out the AdSense for Domains program, a domain parking service introduced in 2008.

"Parked domains are placeholder sites that are seldom useful and often filled with ads. They typically don’t have valuable content for our users, so in most cases we prefer not to show them.”

The AdSense for Domains program, which many parking companies had utilized, will be phased out in three steps:
> March 21 – You will no longer be able to add new domains to your AdSense for Domains account.
  • April 18 – Your Domains will become inactive and will no longer earn AdSense revenue
  • June 27 – Your Domains will no longer be part of AdSense accounts
Google is recommending that all AdSense for Domains customers move their domains to different parking companies.

I suspect this affects a significant number of members at DNForums.com

Hopefully, Google will not drop Adsense for Publishers completely at some point in the future and start pushing the
(Commission Junction Style) Google Advertiser Network as a revenue source.
(This could be an indicator of things to come).

(Note: During the Google/Motorola Acquisition time frame, I mentioned possible changes like this at Adsense
.... but back then even I dismissed them as looking too far ahead.
Can anyone know Google's 5 year plan for Adsense?

......On a brighter note this is insanely great news for ALL other parking companies!

Get ready for a spectacle of parked domain traffic advertisements.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Google suckered all of those who signed up for its service.

By giving Google access, it obtained stats on millions of sites. Essentially, Google performed tasting at the parking level.

Now Google knows which domains performed like crap and it will treat them accordingly regardless of parking company used in the future.

Start developing them with affiliate income in mind. and step away from Google.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google suckered all of those who signed up for its service.

By giving Google access, it obtained stats on millions of sites. Essentially, Google performed tasting at the parking level.

Now Google knows which domains performed like crap and it will treat them accordingly regardless of parking company used in the future.
Perhaps even worse - it now has a perfect kill file of parked/PPC domains that it can cull from its index. If you noticed before Christmas, Google announced that it was demoting parked/PPCed domains in its search results (it was on one of the Google blogs).

Regards...jmcc

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I still think Google Adsense is the best alternative for non-parked domains.

One thing I don't understand is this type of scenario.

Take this parked domain example: airfarego.com

This is obvious:

1) Domain gets all its traffic via type-in requests.
2) No SEO effort is made anywhere.
3) The user is obviously looking for 'AIRFARE'.

So how can this domain be misconstrued to advertisers in anyway.

The only problem I can think of is: some hackers in China and/or Taiwan and/or Korea/ registering similar domains such as, airfarego.tw and airfarego.cn .......... thus messing up Google search results. I think Google went into domain parking with real money making intentions and who knows what they found out in the process?
I don't believe Google planned on stopping Adsense for Parked Domains the first day they started it - Do you?

Last edited:

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
time for google to now tune their algorithms to keep us out!

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(insert any parking company name) suckered all of those who signed up for its service.

By giving (insert any parking company name) access, it obtained stats on millions of sites. Essentially, (insert any parking company name) performed tasting at the parking level.

Now (insert any domainer name big enough to pay for this data quietly on the slide) knows which domains performed like crap and it will treat them accordingly regardless of BIN's.

Rewritten to show the whole truth.

Ba-da bump bump bump,..... another one bites the dust....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q

Naruto

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i wanted to write about this 24 hours ago but i did not see anyone post about this topic.
seriously after adsense for domain goes away, i have no idea where i should go that can earn as much.
any suggestion guys? :uhoh:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So who has been using Adsense for Domains and how did it perform ? I know no-one.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Naruto - It probably depends on the domains.

I personally have had success with SEDO and Domain Sponsor (In the past).

But I will begin testing a few parking sites starting in March.

In the past, my parked domain revenue as compared to Adsense was: Domain Sponsor (50% of revenue) SEDO (75% of revenue)
(Always thought CHITIKA/Yahoo would be better than it is - but it never worked out)

Also keep in mind, some guys, not currently in Adsense and who are really doing great revenue numbers, don't really want you to sign up with thier provider. Think about it - Why share the same Ads. Such is human nature.

I still think the opportunity exists if you can do the work and find the niche.

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So who has been using Adsense for Domains and how did it perform ? I know no-one.

I used Adsense for Domains way back when I dropped parked. Didnt do badly and was alot more than Parked paid. But thats been quite awhile ago when I dropped google also and stopped parking anything.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
</crlf /n>

Final Note: I'ts highly likely that by the end of this year 2012, publishers might need to meet a minimum requirement
of say 50,000 uniques visitors per month or x$'s per month to stay in the Adsense program.

This is purely speculation on my part ..... but nothing should be taken off the table for consideration after today's announcement.

It looks like 76th Hunger Games have just begun!

Strange Days Indeed! (non-related - the greatest Web Site ever invented bar none (FACEBOOK) needs
more cash than 700,000,0000 active users can generate so its going public!)

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With google now possesing over half of the capitolized valuation on the whole internet, who needs all those other low traffic sites anymore anyways.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Rewritten to show the whole truth.

Ba-da bump bump bump,..... another one bites the dust....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMenB9Ywh2Q

So what ,,... no comment??

No accusations, but think it deserves some feeback at least.

Un-natural?? Think about it for a min.

Facebook has made billions on others data. And FB is free. Why not parking services lol. And they pay you. No?

D

Deleted member 78222

I used Adsense for Domains right from the outset and will be very sad to see it go. Most of my portfolio are co.za domains and the revenue was significantly higher than with sedo, in most cases 3 or 4 times higher.

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
</crlf /n>

Final Note: I'ts highly likely that by the end of this year 2012, publishers might need to meet a minimum requirement
of say 50,000 uniques visitors per month or x$'s per month to stay in the Adsense program.
I tend to work on the premise that the people in Google are not as bright as their press releases portray. What I would expect is some pressure to reintroduce Adwords arbitrage for these domains. The revenue per domain and Adwords revenue would be the main concerns for Google.

The next thing to watch for would be this kill file being used with the Chrome browser. (This is scarily like a discussion on Frank Schilling's Sevenmile blog a few years ago.)

Regards...jmcc

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely better than other domain parking, but what the heck is gone anyway.

I have 1200+ domains will be orphan in the next 2-3 weeks.

Only 5-8 percent developed. Yikes!

Aluminum Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With google now possesing over half of the capitolized valuation on the whole internet ...
Not sure where you're drawing lines on the internet but fwiw, a few market caps:

AAPL 481B
MSFT 263B
IBM 229B
GOOG 197B

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's time someone steps in and forces Google to change or break them up. :)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Never understood why google's domain parking had such bland options.

<crlf>Hopefully, Google will not drop Adsense for Publishers completely at some point in the future and start pushing the (Commission Junction Style) Google Advertiser Network as a revenue source.

Why not? Would be perfect to tie in with Froogle.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're drawing lines on the internet but fwiw, a few market caps:

AAPL 481B
MSFT 263B
IBM 229B
GOOG 197B

I misspoke on what I was trying to convey it seems.

I think it was last year I read an article somewhere that had totalized the total value of all websites (in some fashion) and dubbed it "the value of the internet" or something.

And google sites were over half the value. (or something big like that)

But I cannot seem to find that article, or similar, again. I retract the statement for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom