Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

GOOGLE Drops Adsense Publisher EPC Rates Big Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
August 13,2011 - There has been no official announcement from Google.
but obviously Google has dropped parked and non-parked publisher
rates / income recently by at least 10% - and in many cases much more.

See this article:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/google_adsense/4300368.htm

This downward trend started creeping up this year and interestingly
coincides with the election of Larry Page as the new CEO.

Bad news for Google, but Great news for other Affiliate Programs
such as Sedo.com, since most independent publishers will switch Affiliates
Programs the minute it becomes more cost effective.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with many of the assumptions you mention as well as the link referenced.

Quite the contrary, I have seen my revenue steady and increasing.

Google is always changing their algorithm. Not keeping up with the changes will hurt publishers. For instance, google de-ranked many static sites or sites that was not displaying current and relevant content.

So when someone's adsense revenue decreases it does not mean there is an across the board decrease. There are infinite issues that can lead to a decrease in revenue. It can be something as simple as being de-ranked or dropping back a few pages.

As for the comment about great news for Sedo...unquestionably most will agree that their earnings are down 50%-75% from a few years ago. Sedo is hardly the darling of the parking industry it once was.

So, if someone wants to blog about their Adsense earnings down 10% or more compared to last year, I will counter that with my earnings up almost 300% along with an increase in CTR of nearly 400%...comparing the exact same site right now with stats from this period last year. My efforts have paid off with taking a site barely making 4% CTR to an all-time high of over 17% in June of this year with 300% (or better) increase in revenue over the same period in 2010.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's the site name?

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My AdSense is doing excellent right now both for websites and domains. No decline at all. There has been no statement from Google because nothing happened. Probably someone got hit / "smart priced" for having scraper content.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK Guys - This is easy.

Do you believe Google's Publisher revenue sharing percentage is going up or going down?

Forget staying a click ahead of the latest search algorithm(s) in which direction is the Adsense Revenue

sharing percentage going?

A very empirical question.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK Guys - This is easy.

Do you believe Google's Publisher revenue sharing percentage is going up or going down?

Forget staying a click ahead of the latest search algorithm(s) which way is the Adsense Revenue sharing

percentage going?

A very empirical question.
You ask such open ended questions - going up or down for what? Keyword? CPC? Competition? Bids for Adwords? Need specific sites. This is totally and 100% a case-by-case basis. Too many factors make up the success (or failure) of a site yet you want a one-size-fits-all answer.

For me, it is going up. The numbers have already been posted. No point in posting the same results because the answer has not changed.

Despite your insistence that this is easy, if it were easy everyone would be making a killing on adsense. It is not easy. That is why some people have sites getting 0% conversion while other sites are getting 20% conversion.

For instance...iSongs.org. Great keyword. As a parked page- very little traffic, no conversion. $0.00 and 0% month after month. Now, in less than three weeks built out as a site, it is now on the front page for iSongs, bounces back and forth from position one to position six, and has decent traffic and conversion.

So if you want a simple answer, yes...the numbers are Up, Up, Up because now I have taken a $0.00, 0%CTR domain and turned it into a money making site on adsense with a nearly 5% conversion. In that sense, going from zero to 5%, would it be fair to say the numbers are up?

A site that was getting barely 4% conversion in December has steadily been climbing to 17% conversion in June and has had double digit conversion since March.

The numbers are up because I made them go up. It is as simple as that. But doing that is not easy.

Now, what do these sites have in common? I've been working on them and tweaking them. Good keywords, good metatags, good description, good site maps all google friendly. That's what makes the difference between a site declining in revenue and a site increasing in revenue.

Revenue changes because the competition for the keywords change. If the competition for the keyword declines then the CPC declines.

So you can not (and neither can anyone else) attribute their decrease in revenue on their sites and adsense account as a blanket decrease across the board on a decrease on all adsense accounts and payouts.

Adsense is not auto-pilot. You can not set something and simply forget it and let it cruise to new heights.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Doc, Enjoy it while it lasts!

Google is still today's best option for most EPC scenarios.

Today - they spent 12.1 billion for a division of Motorola.
All Adsense publishers will be paying for Google's new direction/acqusition in some way.

So Google owns the mobile phones, the browsers, the software....the way people search.
And what do they still need Publishers for?

.........to be an accountant at Google right now.

Keep working the SEO angle. But I would make back up plans too.

Big changes lie ahead.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you want to hear or what you want to read that will make you happy.

Its as if you post an op-ed piece, someone(s) post the total opposite account, but you want to totally discount there points. You want proof, proof is offered in raw data and stats and still you exclaim that those findings are not good enough.

At the same time, to base your findings on one person's opinion is pretty hollow.

As I mentioned, there is not a one-answer-fits-all solution yet you still seem to be pretty stuck on that.

If you believe greener pasture lie in parking, then there is your wake up call.

Also, you need to look at the world of the internet in a different manner. In many nations, google is NOT the browser of choice, the search engine of choice, and I am sure Motorola is not the phone of choice. To think that google does not need publishers is pretty much saying google does not need advertisers because every one is going to use google anyways.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he just wanted to get his Sedo partner I.D out there with the Sedo.com link he posted. As though anyone on this board has never heard of Sedo.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think he just wanted to get his Sedo partner I.D out there with the Sedo.com link he posted. As though anyone on this board has never heard of Sedo.

Have not read the rest of the thread, but thought I'd point out that any one that types S E D O on the board has the same link :)

Hover over your reference and his. I think you'll find it's Adam's affiliate link.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look Guys,

You go out and buy a Motorola Phone. Google automatically tracks 'ALL' of your search preferences,

(just like Facebook). Then you get plastered by Google Determined Ads based on those

preferences as soon as the phone is turned on. No need for publishers anymore.

How badly does Verizon, ATT, Sprint or HTC need publishers? - They don't.

The more control you maintain over the equipment and access -

The more control you get over the 'search' and subsequently the advertising

dollars.

Prediction: Within 5 years 50% of all publishers will be out of business.

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent post and I believe valid points. In fact, I can see even more publishers dropping out due to getting less and less G traffic because of G pushing their own services and paid ads. For example, a friend tells me not long ago he was ranked at the top of the top-10 for his product, thanks to good SEO. At that time there were 9 other independent listings. Now the page is dominated by Google Places and paid ads where 8 of the top 10 are connected to Google or Google Place listings. My friends traffic is way down as he now ranks near the bottom of the top-10 along with just one other (independent of Google) site even though his Page Rank etc is the same as before.

Look Guys,

You go out an buy a Motorola Phone. Google automatically tracks 'ALL' of your search preferences,

(just like Facebook). Then you get plastered by Google Determined Ads based on those

dollars.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Look Guys,

You go out an buy a Motorola Phone. Google automatically tracks 'ALL' of your search preferences,

dollars.

Wow, are you serious? You honestly believe Google is the only one that tracks? Are you for real? Do you think they are the only ones who have GPS or a Buddy Beacon?

Prior to purchasing the Motorola sector, Google has never made a phone. They supply an OS called Android. Android phones are not made by google. They are made by every major phone company that you did and did not mention.

How badly does Verizon, ATT, Sprint or HTC need publishers? Have you never seen an ad from a phone company placed on a website? How badly do they need publishers? Again, are you for real. EXTREMELY BADLY. Do you think that they advertise on their own? Have you never visited a web page before and seen a tMobile, ATT, Sprint, Samsung Ad? THEY ARE THE ADVERTISERS! And with out widespread ads across many publishers on all networks, THEY BADLY NEED THOSE PUBLISHERS! That is why they compete and bid for ad space.

Do you not have a phone? Do you not see ads on your phone? Do you think those ads just magically appear? Or do you think that someone pays for that ad, someone pays for that ad placement, and the carrier gets a percentage of that advertising revenue.

Google buying a phone maker gives them the power to compete head to head with Apple.

I think you need to back up, take an Internet 101 course, Marketing 101 course, and Advertising 101 course.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Excellent post and I believe valid points.
At least GO1 will have some class mates. You and your friend and GO1 can look at post 2 and post 4 and try to figure out what you guys are doing wrong.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe the whole internet parity thing is coming to an end - starting with the mobile device arena.

There is a big irony here: the Google Android platform was designed to be a great Open Source platform for all devices and all carriers.

Google now says the only way to increase its open market share of the Android platform is to
buy 12 Billion dollars of Legal Patents - Since Consolidation / Collusion by the big carriers,
Microsoft, Apple and even Oracle (with open source Java believe it or not)
was a threat to thier Android OS.

Apparently When you have control over your users (like some of the carriers do)
Open Source is meaningless and dangerous concept / threat.

As a second point.
Don't allow Google to post ads offering thier own Adsense Products on your Adsense-Driven web sites.
Your revenue should increase.

Nobody Clicks them and they confuse the user and water down the theme of the site.

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least GO1 will have some class mates. You and your friend and GO1 can look at post 2 and post 4 and try to figure out what you guys are doing wrong.

I think you are missing the point Doc Com that many publishers are not doing so well in search these days and it's harder and harder to get ranked near the top of the top-10 since that area is often dominated (depending on the keywords) by Adwords, Maps and Google Places now.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point Doc Com that many publishers are not doing so well in search these days and it's harder and harder to get ranked near the top of the top-10 since that area is often dominated (depending on the keywords) by Adwords, Maps and Google Places now.
Then I am definitely missing the point when I look at my sites, their rankings, their page ranks, and their success (in terms of CTR and Revenue). Because the point(s) that you and a few others are trying to make is that Google is in a tailspin, publishers are losing money, and everyone is getting out.

The points that are being missed is that, yes, this may be the case with someone you know but not happening overall as evidenced by this thread.

If I say I know someone who is leaving adsense because their stats are down, does that mean Adsense is a failure?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As is typical with many on this forum, they are seeing the small, itsy bitsy picture.

What google got more than anything coveted by an entire industry is not a phone maker but...

patents, patents, patents, patents.

There is a treasure trove of patents in the deal and google has the capital to enforce them.

This is what this entire industry is all about. Not just dominating the industry but restricting the growth of your competitors...when it comes to all things mobile - phones, tablets, smartphones, etc.

Consider how long Motorola has been in the phone business and telecommunications business and that should key you into what the biggest bonanza is for google.

Look what is playing out in Europe right now - Apple claiming infringement by Samsung with the release of the new Samsung galaxy tablet.

This does not spell the end for publishers. Instead, publishers should be looking to what the CEO told their audience several years ago...go mobile or go out of business.

This solidifies Google's presence in the mobile industry. And publishers will benefit from additional revenue sectors and technologies. It is that simple. Look back a few years when they purchased AdMob. Why reinvent the wheel (or try to invent a viable mobile advertising model) when already existed and commanded an overwhelming majority of the advertisers in the mobile space.

But, the question being tossed around by many is...what the hell happened to the open alliance of Android? It seems google dissed a great many of its partners in this regard.

Seriously, many here need to step back and look at the big picture rather than attempt to focus on the macro and micro elements and ignore the purely bogus sources of information - my friend says - as being some official decree.

Patents, patents, patents, patents...surely worth the money spent...in ownership or even licensing fees.

GO1

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
..........not gloom and doom if you recognize the changes and plan ahead accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom