• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

google placement after name change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aplusmedia

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Messages
437
Reaction score
0
Heya all,

i have a question im not sure about, but know is common knowledge to you guys.

Here's my scenario, I have a website that is ranked 2nd place in google, it took quite a while to get there, but now I want to change to a new name and new domain, the new domain and name would certainly require a fresh start in google, but what if I simply forward my old site to the new site, will the ranking be passed onto my new site? no? both domains will appear as 1...

im not sure what will happen, I like my current ranking so I dont want to lose it by changing domain name.. are there any workarounds?

Thanks in advance!
 
301 Redirect all files
eg: redirect index.html to new.com/index.html
and page2.html new.com/page2.html
 
MrDude sounds about right. Check WebmasterWorld for extensive coverage of this.
 
Last time I did this, my main rankings (for which I was #1 solidly) did transfer with 301 redirects. However, I needed to change the content to optimize for different keyword variations and eventually those specific rankings disappeared - but that was to be expected.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom