Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.gr Bans Generics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.gr bans the registration of domain names classified as generic.
They decided that they from 01/01/2003 they are not going to allow registration of domains that don't have a distinctive mark as they say.

They have banned domains like doctor, lawyer, architecture but also domains like cit, videogame, sportnews and others.

I have to say that all these domains are already registered as English words and most of them are registered in Greek with latin characters.

The above domains remain as they are. Owners are free to use them, renew and transfer starting next year.
This gives an unfair advantage to those trying to register a .gr now. Also only recently they allowed foreign companies and individuals to register .gr but I don't think they will register a lot after this decision.

The registration procedure takes about 50 to 80 days. You submit the domain name to www.gr. They haddle the registry. They decide if their recommendation for the domain, according to the law, is possitive or negative. You PAY for the domain. Then they send the domain to a commity that decides (taking into account the recommendation) every week about the domain registrations! How more bureaucratic can this be?
If they decide that your domain is generic then you lose the money!

I believe this is another law that will push Greece into the headlines once again after the videogame ban.

Please distribute this information wherever you want.
I also would like to know how can I get this issue to the European court. Is there an international or european law about domain names?

Domain Summit 2024

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's been discussed for a while, this registry is going toward .tv business model... yes ... it is not good for reselling business.

tw

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No they are not going to sell the generic domains at a higher fee like .tv They just banned them!
They think they are going to save the greek internet by doing this! They are a bit crazy.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't forget our British Plane enthusiasts who were held for months without charge and without access to a translator or proper medical care or proper lawyers or a proper court...

All these crazy incidents just makes me wonder what kind of thing the Greek are going to do next...

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you explain me this?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just noticed they have also banned subdomains!
You can't have xxxxx.mydomain.gr if someone else owns xxxxx.gr!
How crazy is this?

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just forget about all the Mickey Mouse country domains. Look at the recent Columbia fiasco.

Stick with the kings - .com and .net

Maybe use .co.uk or .us for local businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom