Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

HALLELUJAH! Finally Some Relief From HORRIBLE Registrars!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have probably been reading about the problem in other threads: these atrocious new registrars that make it impossible for you to access, manage or transfer your domain names. I was just sitting down to write an editorial for DNJournal about this situation (which I viewed as a serious threat to the entire expiring domains industry) when I got some great news. ICANN is putting a new policy into effect November 12 that will force all registrars to follow a uniform set of rules for handling domain transfer requests.

Among other things it will require all of them to use one standard form, provide communications in English, provide auth codes within 5 days of request, and other rules ending all of the ridiculous hoops losing registrars forced you to go through to try to hold you hostage. Apparently the level of complaints has risen to such a degree ICANN could no longer ignore it. Here is a link to the page that leads to the new policy (item #1 on the list):

http://www.icann.org/transfers/index.html

Domain Summit 2024

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now lets hope that for a change, if they follow the rules Duke - Good Post - I think I would still do the article. It will put a little heat under them and in Icann's case - It never hurts - Just my thoughts - Steve

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent news!

I have been through the ringer on this subject, and can tell you it will be welcome relief

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably right Steve. From what I read in the new policy, they may have no choice but to comply because the default will be for the transfer to go through unless the losing registrar can provide proof that it should not proceed for one of the clearly specified reasons (for example the domain currently being in a UDRP dispute). Just being able to communicate with some of these back alley operations in English would be a major step forward for most of us.

windyreddy

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great news Ron. I have lot's of names that I want to bring home.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It should help some Duke - What gets me with Icann is the total lack of concern and consumer service to manage their registrar base they have in place. It is much easier to get accredited now. All it takes is the funds, some paperwork and maybe a bit of luck. Thus we are seeing many of these new registrars unable to process transactions properly. Appears that after they get accredited, there is very little involvement by Icann to assure that they indeed "follow the rules". I looked through the ICANN "registrar guidelines" a few months back as we talked about becoming accredited, and most of the rules are in place for these registrars to follow; live website, contact phone numbers, customer support, etc. - but how many actually follow them? Maybe 50% of the registrars worldwide (if that) ? The next rule Icann needs to make - is a rule to have everyone follow all the rules, I think - Steve

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good observation Steve. I think you are right that going ahead and writing this piece would be a good idea. That way we can document the sorry situation we are in now and the failures in the past that have led to it. Everyone in the industry needs to hold ICANN's feet to the fire to get them to enfore the new policy (as well as the one they already have). If we have to we will put the ICANN and Internic contact info you provided earlier on our front page and leave it there with the hope that everyone who has a complaint will let them know about it loud and clear and demand that they do something about these outlaw registrars.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds super Duke - They may start to respond to complaints if they get enough of them - that would put them in "check" with their consumer base. I am sure that it would roll down hill to the registrars and that is the general idea, I believe. They could enforce these issues by simply unpluging a registrar after due warnings to comply. I would bet that would put a positive spin on these registrars for all of us. Thanks for the work to help us all Duke!!! Steve

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great news. There are "registrars" without website (just an email address). Then we have "registrars" based in Japan and S Korea who take forever in responding to emails due to language barrier. These problems need to be fixed without delay.

URLtrader

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
URLCollection said:
They could enforce these issues by simply unpluging a registrar after due warnings to comply.

I would dearly love to see that occur a few times. It is going to be the only way to get the attention of some the fly by nighters who will keep operating the same way as long as they can get away with it. The drop catching services need to cut these people loose immediately as well. Any temporary positive effect they get from catching a domain via one of these registrars is quickly erased and turned into a major negative when a customer cannot access the domain they paid for. The customer will rightfully hold you responsible for your partner's conduct and will stop doing business with you all together (not mention the bad word of mouth that we already see spread all over every domain forum). It is in no one's interest to let these registrars continue to operate this way.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke, the article would be very good for a couple reasons.

First, putting Icann on notice that the domain industry realizes that the problem exist.

Second, putting Icann on notice that the industry is watching how they enforce this new policy.

And, Third, Icann can say to the registrar that this is a serious problem and why Icann
is aggressively enforcing this new policy by pointing out your article. Plus, other
articles that will be generated because of your article.

Furthermore, if Icann does not enforce the new policy. Verisign can use that lack of follow
thru to weaken Icann's power over Verisign.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent points Richard. I am going to go ahead and write it.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, if Icann does not enforce the new policy. Verisign can use that lack of follow thru to weaken Icann's power over Verisign.

Along with the transfer policy, there is a transfer dispute policy which, although I haven't fully digested it yet, has some problems. The biggest problem, of course, is that complaints may only be brought by registrars, and not registrants. Now, in your wildest dreams, what registrar is going to pay the dispute resolution fee in order to be privileged to make a few bucks on a single domain registration?

Do you realize that among the bazillion blooming dispute resolution policies spawned by ICANN, there is not a SINGLE one in which a registrant is given an opportunity to file a complaint about anything? It is sickening.

My biggest concern with the transfer policy, though, is that the same registrars who don't understand or follow other policies are apt to turn this one into a field day for domain hi-jackers.

How this policy shakes out is a definite "wait and see" item.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info John - I hadn't looked at the Dispute policy yet as I have been more preoccupied with the out-of-control transfer (or more accurately, lack of transfer) policies at these no-name outfits. It is ridiculous that there is no provision for registrants to file formal complaints.

I've posted an item about this in our Lowdown section while continuing to put together an editorial on it: http://www.dnjournal.com/lowdown.htm . ICANN needs to understand that when they give a registrar that ICANN-accredited stamp, the outrageous things some of these registrars do appear to be done with the full blessing of the governing body. It has now degenerated into utter chaos that can only raise questions about ICANN's ability to oversee the system. For their own good, they need to step in and put an end to this nonsense now.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Along with the transfer policy, there is a transfer dispute policy which, although I haven't fully digested it yet, has some problems. The biggest problem, of course, is that complaints may only be brought by registrars, and not registrants. Now, in your wildest dreams, what registrar is going to pay the dispute resolution fee in order to be privileged to make a few bucks on a single domain registration?

Do you realize that among the bazillion blooming dispute resolution policies spawned by ICANN, there is not a SINGLE one in which a registrant is given an opportunity to file a complaint about anything? It is sickening.

Just to follow up on this John, I had included a paragraph about this lack of registrant representation in a new editorial we published about bad registrars Sunday (http://www.dnjournal.com/editorial.htm) but after consideration felt that was trivializing an important issue too much (sticking it at the bottom of a different topic) and removed it. This issue needs to be the focus of attention on its own and brought front and center as well.

legal

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Does Icaan plan on doing anything with the you can't transfer away .ws domains?

I let 100 or so .ws key words drop when I found out they can't be transferred.

Since GoDaddy is the big pusher of that tld, you get stuck with them if you want cheap .ws reg's

And since GD is having criminal complaints against them for blackmailing owners of domains via illegal reinstatement fees, it would be nice to be able to move .ws domains around from registrar's you don't want to do biz with. Especially from GD.

It took GD 5 tries to send me a valid authorization code for one of my .org domains.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This issue needs to be the focus of attention on its own and brought front and center as well.

Let me know if you have a date in mind.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Let me know if you have a date in mind.

I would like to start gathering information on how this problem could be attacked. In lobbying for a registrant voice in the process, I have a feeling ICANN wouldn't be too receptive as others have undoubtedly asked them for this in the past. Would the Dept. of Commerce (under whose auspices ICANN currently operates) be the right venue to start with? What would be the most effective way to get the proper body's attention; petition, publicity, threat of bodily harm :)? If we can come up with a broadly supported plan of action I would be happy to help in any way I can.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
I have a feeling ICANN wouldn't be too receptive as others have undoubtedly asked them for this in the past......
What would be the most effective way to get the proper body's attention; petition, publicity,?

Duke, Continous publicity is the only way to get them to act. Icann can dance
around all of the other actions.

However, if a problem is continously brought to the attention of the public and
the press. They will try to find a way for it to go away. And, that is to solve
the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators