Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Heyo Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK... I retired as moderator but I can't keep quiet about this section. Something else needs to happen - because this is not working. The lack of people participating shows that. Here are the problems.....

1) As I sat here tonight starting to post threads for individual members - it occurred to me that I could fill up this entire section of the damn forum - and that seems a little silly. After hundreds of transactions here (bought & sold combined) I have not had a single bad deal with anybody. However I feel weird starting an individual thread for every single person that I've done business with. Plus I can't remember everybody right this second. So no matter what - I will probably forget somebody - and that might hurt their feelings. There are plenty of other people who have a similar situation - and are finding it awkward to start threads or post comments for every transaction they have made.

2) Starting this section after the forum is already well established is making everybody a little uncomfortable. That's why there are not many people posting in this part of the forum. It makes for an awkward situation. Do we go back to the beginning? Is it retroactive? What if you can't remember? Etc.?

3) Some people just don't want to post in public regardless of how their deal went - and we should respect that. There needs to be a better way to let everybody give their feedback - without making them start a public thread about it.

4) If we are going to do something like this - we just need to have a 'positive' or 'negative' rating that shows up next to a user's name. Having a whole section - and threads like this is not working. There are just too many variables. We have been buying/selling names from each other for a year before this section even got started - and yet hardly anybody is using it. That should tell us something!

So....I say we get rid of this section - and just find a way to implement a rating where people can go and give you a 'positive' or 'negative' vote - and then have it become part of your profile description - or even show up next to your name. This section is too awkward and 'newbie' for the level of transactions that have already occurred (and continue to occur).

I feel pretty confident that most people agree - given the lack of response to this section despite the large number of sales that keep taking place. Not to mention the people that sent me messages that said they thought this was not the way to handle it. Of course now that I'm retired - I'm just a regular civilian and have no power to change anything anymore. So all I can do is suggest that we need to come up with a better way. A more simple & clean way. :)

<! -- MOVED by Moderator from "User To User Praise" to "Suggestions and Feedback" -->

Upvote 0

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think the positive and negative or a 1-10 rating system could work well

but people might then become obcessed with user ratings on the site - with threads like why did you rate me so low etc

:)

Domain Summit 2024

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's true. The whole thing is a pretty 'touchy' situation. Hmmmm....

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
about a year and a half ago i was going to add the rating system hack that was avilable for vbulletin - my members thought it was a great idea

however, after reading through a lot of the threads at the vb forums i realised that it wouldnt be a good addition to the site. It had a very negative effect on the forum and people took their ratings very very seriously - and this was just on general chat forums.

On a forum such as this a rating system would be taken very seriously because reputation is a very important thing.

My personal opinion is that it wouldnt be a good addition but i totally agree with you that the user to user praise room - whilst a good idea in theory - doesnt work.

:)

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
we ueds to have a rating system for our helpdesk support team, but with negative ratings implmented as they always voted for themselves..!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apart from doubts about its usefulness it seems to fill up the pages of "View New Posts" which is a bit of a nuisance.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To be honest I would rather it go away.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just moved this thread from "User To User Praise" to "Suggestions and Feedback". Please continue with your discussion, folks.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rotten lousy moderator. Some kind of power trip or something!

Hehe :D j/k

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree - I have had a number of transactions through this forum, and they have all been positive (without exception!)

To go back now and try to list all of the people I have transacted with is too daunting for someone as busy as I am :)

So the choices are 1) take time I don't have to be thorough or 2) don't be thorough and leave people out, possibly hurting their feelings or 3) just start using it as of recent sales, which feels awkward to me or 4) blow it off entirely and treat everybody with equal negligence.

Option 4 is hands down the winner.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Worthy post!
I, too, think we're way beyond these "newbie" praise posts. Certainly, the intentions for its creation was a good one ... but we should be looking now at a modified, regulated Rating System instead, IMHO. I'm no techie, but it may even be done as part of an automated Live auction "Domain Manager" (which was conceived and subsequently abandoned by previous ownership). Sorry, Greg. :D
Onward and upward ... hope all's well, Popper! :)

Edit: I've just completed some posts in that particular area ... and I must say, in all honesty, it may be worth continuing. It's definitely got a newbie'ish feel to it ... but it could evolve nicely over time. What can I say? I'm on the fence here on this one, but watching closely. :D

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I went back and looked at that section, it's such BS. It's like I just made a $5 sale now let me go post how great the person is so I can bump my post count. It should be removed.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see no use for the section either. 99% of transactions are smooth and I fully expect every deal is going to be smooth. I personally wouldn't bother to wade through all of the posts in the section to try to find one on the person I'm dealing with. I wouldn't mind a warning section about the bad apples though - it would be much smaller and easier to keep track of the very few people that need to be avoided. Right now, all of these posts are just clogging up the forum. I look at all posts in all sections everyday by clicking the New Posts button (I think others do that too), so right now it just creates a lot more stuff to wade through that all says the same thing.

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the idea of a user profile or rating system.
But I don't think a thread will cut the mustard.

Hence my posting the day I saw it:
"This site has always needed a butt-kissing thread!"
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27997

I should apoligize for posting there yesterday.
I resisted posting in that thread but must have been really board.
If I recall, there were no good domains to appraise so I decided to appraise a few DNF users :laugh:

I think the way its setup at the present time will be very bias and destined for abuse.

There are enough distractions on DNF lately.
IMO a rating system wouldn't be high on my priority list.

I think finding a solution for sales would be number one.
The sales thread is becoming a joke. Most users respect the 1 thread a day. But there is still useless conversation and the occasional spat. Then you have the people that think they need to bump their thread every hour on the hour whether it needs it or not!
Forums weren't designed for selling domains.
Something like this may be the solution:
http://www.domainstate.com/auction.php3?s=

JMHO
Cheers!

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Feedback system for the auction would be ideal. It might even encourage people to participate more.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The newbies section needs to go - there is enough info in the rest of the forum to make this obsolete.
The adult section needs to go. Although I was in favour of such a section a few months ago, this doesn't seem to be too popular.
The humour section needs to go - if i want humour I'll go to a humour site or watch a Jerry Seinfeld video.
User to user praise needs to go - it's a nonsense section.
And the 300 odd guests....where do they come from?

Apart from that everything's great :D.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed30
The newbies section needs to go - there is enough info in the rest of the forum to make this obsolete.
The adult section needs to go. Although I was in favour of such a section a few months ago, this doesn't seem to be too popular.
The humour section needs to go - if i want humour I'll go to a humour site or watch a Jerry Seinfeld video.

I would not diagree with any of this except I think the newbie section is long overdue. I haven't really looked at it, but anything that might prevent someone from posting MyMotherIsKindaHot.org and expecting a $3000 appraisal can only be a good thing. If we can put some of our collective wisdom into a section like that which would not go away too quickly, I think it would be a valuable component of this site.

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed30

I agree...
Newbies? There are plenty of other places for them to learn the ropes.
Adult Section? Adult domains have always been scattered throughout DNF. Most posters are considerate and don't go into the details. Its just a name! Having an adult section only invites trouble.
Humour? Yes its funny and all. But I think we're here to talk and sell domains.
User Praise? I've already said my peace in the above thread.

Originally posted by FrontRow

I would not diagree with any of this except I think the newbie section is long overdue. I haven't really looked at it, but anything that might prevent someone from posting MyMotherIsKindaHot.org and expecting a $3000 appraisal can only be a good thing. If we can put some of our collective wisdom into a section like that which would not go away too quickly, I think it would be a valuable component of this site.

It may seem helpfull and all. But its pretty corny so far.
Common???? A section on "How to use PayPal" For the love of god:confused:

Cheers!

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the U2U section persay as it does have some value to new members wishing to do business with others. We know most everyone here, but to those who are just finding this place, it might be of some help. Personally, If I were new I would do a search to find the person if I were going to do a transaction with them. I would either find their name in the U2U section or not. If i did find their name, I would tend to do business with them. Thus creating trading activity that might not have happened.

The rating system is great idea in theory but a non-starter in practice, as it could get "ugly", tit for tat type thing. If you did you such a system, I would make it "closed". Whereby the "mods" or DCG certified a smooth sale, and the two people would then get a "plus"...etc..etc. This way, there could be no arguments, or fraud. Closed Rating System=No tit for tat.

I do have one problem with U2U, and that is integrity. Meaning, how do we know someone isn't using multiple ID's? They could therefore give themselves a A++++ rating.

What I think should happen is to continue on with the U2U section even in light of the problems associated with it until a better solution is found (see Closed Rating System above). It is kind of nice to tell everyone what you think of a buyer/seller, no matter how flattering things can sound. I really did feel good about posting in Stocdoctor's thread, as he really is "Dr Smooth" when it comes to buying names. I've told him privately, "Thanks for the Smooth" transaction, but it was kind of nice to do it in the open.

What I would suggest that DCG do with the U2U section is post a warning that the comments reflected herein do not necessarily reflect the views of DNF management, etc, etc... Another words: Buyer/Seller beware. I think having the different memberships has given some help in the fraud dept, so we shouldn't be concerned too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators