Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

How about an 18 and older box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would there be any reason not to put a box near the username that shows whether or not a person has asserted that they are over 18? Not sure how it is done now for the adult forums.
Just a little paranoid after reading about someone getting burned bad because they made a deal with a 17 year old. I know more and more younger people are getting into this industry. I would like to know up front if I am buying from or selling to a minor.

Upvote 0

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Matvey-2901 said:
I dont see how any online forum thread that has "sold" in it buy and adult ro buy a minor is considered a binding contract because with the advanced minds of people on the web these days its no sure thing it is you posting "sold"
If somebody offers a domain for sale and a buyer posts SOLD then that is a contract. Otherwise sellers could just say "No, I do not want to sell the domain anymore." Same goes for buyers. It would be a different thing with a stolen account, of course, but that can usually be proven.

Domain Summit 2024

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a great suggestion too!
How about a discriminating over 18's box? It could warn us under 18's who paid for a membership and do many deals on the forum that these members in fact think they are somehow bigger and better than us.

Anyone?

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:
How about a discriminating over 18's box? It could warn us under 18's who paid for a membership and do many deals on the forum that these members in fact think they are somehow bigger and better than us.

Anyone?
Come on, what do you want to achieve by being so cynical? Show how <18yrs people behave? I know you can be more professional than that.

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Your such a victim arnt you? Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Start reading posts a little more thoroughly instead of just skimming though them.

MrDude said:

Anyone?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now I'm starting to understand why condom commercials are so ineffective with certain age groups.

It's not about discriminating against minors. It's about full disclosure. It's about a persons right to know when they are taking on a liability that never goes away.

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:

Anyone?

kids. :greenno:

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Validity of contracts
For a contract to be valid, it must meet the following criteria:

Mutual agreement - (see main article offer and acceptance): There must be an express or implied agreement. The essential requirement is that there be evidence that the parties had each from an objective perspective engaged in conduct manifesting their assent, and a contract will be formed when the parties have met such a requirement. (Notice that the objective manifestation requirement means that one need not actually have assented so long as a reasonable person would believe that assent had been granted.) For a contract based on offer and acceptance to be enforced, the terms must be capable of determination in a way that it is clear that the parties' assent was given to the same terms. The terms, like the manifestation of assent itself, are determined objectively.
Consideration: There must be consideration (see also consideration under English law) given by all the parties, meaning that every party is conferring a benefit on the other party or himself sustaining a recognizable detriment, such as a reduction of the party's alternative courses of action where the party would otherwise be free to act with respect to the subject matter without any limitation. Consideration need not be adequate, e.g. agreeing to buy a car for a penny may constitute a binding contract. (q.v. Chappell & Co Ltd v Nestle Co Ltd [1959] 2 All ER 701. (UK common law))
Competent, Adult (Sui Juris) Parties: Both parties must have the capacity to understand the terms of the contract they are entering into, and the consequences of the promises they make. For example, animals, minor children, and mentally disabled individuals do not have the capacity to form a contract, and any contracts with them will be considered void or voidable. Although corporations are technically legal fictions, they are considered persons under the law, and thus fit to engage in contracts.
For adults, most jurisdictions have statutes declaring that the capacity of parties to a contract is presumed, so that one resisting enforcement of a contract on grounds that a party lacked the capacity to be bound bears the burden of persuasion on the issue of capacity.
Proper Subject Matter: The contract must have a lawful purpose. A contract to commit murder in exchange for money will not be enforced by the courts. It is void ab initio, meaning "from the beginning."
Mutual Right to Remedy: Both parties must have an equal right to remedy upon breach of the terms by the other party
Mutual Obligation to Perform: Both parties must have some obligation to fulfill to the other. This can be distinct from consideration, which may be an initial inducement into the contract.
Intention to create legal relationship: There is a strict presumption for commercial agreements to be legally bound. Domestic and social agreements are usually unenforceable.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Although corporations are technically legal fictions, they are considered persons under the law, and thus fit to engage in contracts

This part looks interesting. I wonder if a minor could set up a corporation and then do transactions through it to solve this whole issue. I believe it is less than $100 in most states, just from a quick web search.

Maybe Mr. Berryhill will have an answer?

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You take on a liability wether you deal with somebody under 18, You can deal with a dishonest/un-ethical person no matter what the age, which is why chargebacks etc happen. Instead of trying to look down on younger forum members, try finding a real solution to un-ethical people?

Maybe if you want to know our ages? Dont label us with a box, check our profiles and if it isn't listed then asking could always help?

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly... No matter the age people tend to steal money or w/e on the net... Domain purposes to know if the persons good with trades you can ask people if theres any good with them or check there iTrader rating or simply ask for ebay id (if they have one) you can also file any complaint to paypal if they do not deliver... Minors arent the problem its who your dealing with... Crooks technically be older than 18

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:
You take on a liability wether you deal with somebody under 18, You can deal with a dishonest/un-ethical person no matter what the age, which is why chargebacks etc happen. Instead of trying to look down on younger forum members, try finding a real solution to un-ethical people?

Maybe if you want to know our ages? Dont label us with a box, check our profiles and if it isn't listed then asking could always help?

MrDude: I don't think anybody is looking down on minors. I haven't read a single post making a judgement of likes or dislikes towards minors, but rather a general need to know if a member is 18+ or not.

It's just business and in the business of making contracts, dealings with a minor could have major pitfalls.

This suggestion is not a personal attack on anybody or their age, but rather another step in making DNF a better community to do safe business.

I am in favor of knowing 18+ members status.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this whole 18+ thing has to do with the fact that that is how the western countries set up their laws and view minors. In plenty of the Asian countries and south americans countries amongst ohter places the rules are different and oppurtunities are different. That's why I'm against an 18+ member status. This is an international domain forum. It comes down to making sure a person has a good track record. I'm all for young entrepenural mindsets looking to tap and grow and I don't think this forum should limit that. There are plenty of 17 years old with portfolios that outpace a lot on this board. So age clearly is but a minor issue. I'm from the US but still I believe in leaving this arena open for all.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MrDude said:

Anyone?

Way to go...you just showed how truely immature you are. This is just business, plain and simple. Of course not all minors scam other members or are troublemakers, but forum members should have the right to see who is under 18 in case it bothers them.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but forum members should have the right to see who is under 18 in case it bothers them.

But GT, don't you think that that would automatically blacklist everyone under 18? I'm curious on your thoughts on this. BEcause if one is under 18 and that can be seen on the site, then they may as well be banned, who's going to take them seriously. I remember a similar convo went on in the chat room a while back and I was suprised to find about a handful of good rep. members that were under 18.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
a handful of good rep. members that were under 18.

I was one of them for several years. Many members knew about my age and still did business with me, so knowing I was under 18 did not black list me at all. However, some members might feel its really important to know if they are doing business with a minor...and we should probably give them that option.

However, as I said before, I really don't think its a huge deal either way. DNF has more pertinant issues right now.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you really don't want to deal w/ a minor list it in the adult section.

:/

bladex5k

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's how I see it...

Regardless of age, eBay and iTrader should be the only things to consider when dealing with members on this forum or any forum during a transaction. Being that DNForum is probably the most honest and down-to-earth forum in the world (IMHO), I'm sure it would be EXTREMELY hard to fake an iTrader rating or eBay feedback rating.

I don't know... this whole thing is confusing. I mean, it's nice to know who you're dealing with, but it's just nice to know... It's not necessarily needed to know how old the person is. If someone has 64 rating on iTrader and 63 of those ratings are positive, regardless of age, I would say that user is pretty reliable and won't screw you over.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder how do places like car dealerships handle this issue? I know they must sell cars all the time to people under 18. Anyone know?

For my part, I still plan to do business with anyone on the forum who will do business with me, regardless of age. If it's a big $$ deal, I would take some precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators